First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

TheHutt
Gondor

Sep 2 2015, 6:20pm

Post #1 of 44 (5502 views)
Shortcut
TH BOTFA SEE giftset pictures! Can't Post

From Amazon.it.

So far, no US version is listed. The giftset can be ordered in Germany, France and Italy.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

Faleel
Rohan

Sep 2 2015, 6:31pm

Post #2 of 44 (5401 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice to see some actual artwork used instead of promo images.

NVM: looking close it seems to be stills from the film...

(This post was edited by Faleel on Sep 2 2015, 6:32pm)

DainPig
Gondor

Sep 2 2015, 7:04pm

Post #3 of 44 (5337 views)
Shortcut
AMAZING [In reply to] Can't Post

LOVED IT! Very cool!

God bless Amazon and you, TheHutt Wink

How aaaaaaaaaaaaaare you all???

Hey guys, my blog is: dainpigblog.blogspot.com

TheHutt
Gondor

Sep 2 2015, 7:42pm

Post #4 of 44 (5274 views)
Shortcut
Now I wonder about the pictures on the upper band of the box... [In reply to] Can't Post

We see lions and deers.
Why lions?

The French picture (other side, obviously) shows, once again, deers and... a cow.

Now what's the symbolism of that?

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

(This post was edited by TheHutt on Sep 2 2015, 7:42pm)

DainPig
Gondor

Sep 2 2015, 7:55pm

Post #5 of 44 (5243 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

deers represents Thranduil, Lions represents Fili and the cow represents Thorin. Maybe??

PryftanAW
Bree

Sep 2 2015, 7:57pm

Post #6 of 44 (5238 views)
Shortcut
The animals were taken from the buildings in dale [In reply to] Can't Post

Here you can see the lion and some other animals in dale:
http://www.thehobbit.com/...TBOTFA-TRLR-0006.jpg

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Sep 2 2015, 7:57pm

Post #7 of 44 (5237 views)
Shortcut
Those animal images were on the arches in Dale [In reply to] Can't Post

Those columns and animal images spanning the arches between the columns are meant to look like the ones in the city of Dale. I remember seeing them in the background while watching BotFA and wondering if there was a reason the set designers chose those specific animals to put up there.

Lord I give you everything, Anything you want from me
Take my past and my future I lay it at your feet
Yeah, I'm after your heart, you've stolen mine
I give you my all 'cause you gave up your life
I'm not who I was simply because, Oh, you set me free

And you change me from what I used to be
Opened my eyes, now I can see
You're making this life so beautiful
So beautiful

~"Beautiful" by Dan Bremnes

DainPig
Gondor

Sep 2 2015, 8:00pm

Post #8 of 44 (5222 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes [In reply to] Can't Post

But I wonder if there are lions in the north of middle earth Crazy

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Sep 2 2015, 8:03pm

Post #9 of 44 (5205 views)
Shortcut
Given how Dale was once a center of trade where people from all over might have come... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I guess it's possible that the builders of the city were well-traveled and had seen lions and...um...thought they looked cool? I dunno.

Lord I give you everything, Anything you want from me
Take my past and my future I lay it at your feet
Yeah, I'm after your heart, you've stolen mine
I give you my all 'cause you gave up your life
I'm not who I was simply because, Oh, you set me free

And you change me from what I used to be
Opened my eyes, now I can see
You're making this life so beautiful
So beautiful

~"Beautiful" by Dan Bremnes

(This post was edited by Eruvandi on Sep 2 2015, 8:04pm)

DainPig
Gondor

Sep 2 2015, 8:10pm

Post #10 of 44 (5195 views)
Shortcut
True [In reply to] Can't Post

this explain why there are chineses and black people in Esgaroth

NManfredi
Rivendell

Sep 2 2015, 8:39pm

Post #11 of 44 (5137 views)
Shortcut
Just guessing [In reply to] Can't Post

My assumption is that there could well be lions in Middle-Earth, most probably in the south-eastern regions. Tolkien always teased that Middle-Earth was like a pre-historical age of our own world, so there would be no reason not to have those animals somewhere. Anyhow, I haven't read much from these regions. Could anyone tell me if there is some material about the Harad or other people in the far East that wasn't included in the ROTK?

"Is it not a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt for so small a thing? So small a thing! And I have seen it only for an instant in the house of Elrond! Could I not have a sight of it again?"

(This post was edited by NManfredi on Sep 2 2015, 8:40pm)

NManfredi
Rivendell

Sep 2 2015, 8:45pm

Post #12 of 44 (5115 views)
Shortcut
Another question [In reply to] Can't Post

I am thinking whether these images that appear on the box are a hint they are getting extended? It would be REALLY nice if that's the case.

"Is it not a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt for so small a thing? So small a thing! And I have seen it only for an instant in the house of Elrond! Could I not have a sight of it again?"

(This post was edited by NManfredi on Sep 2 2015, 8:53pm)

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Sep 2 2015, 8:45pm

Post #13 of 44 (5112 views)
Shortcut
not really [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien never really went into much detail about those places.

NManfredi
Rivendell

Sep 2 2015, 8:46pm

Post #14 of 44 (5112 views)
Shortcut
Pity [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a shame. Yes, as far as I know I haven't read much about them. That's why I asked.

(This post was edited by NManfredi on Sep 2 2015, 8:54pm)

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Sep 2 2015, 8:53pm

Post #15 of 44 (5093 views)
Shortcut
I doubt it. [In reply to] Can't Post

It wasn't the case with the last two boxes.

NManfredi
Rivendell

Sep 2 2015, 8:55pm

Post #16 of 44 (5091 views)
Shortcut
Didn't know that [In reply to] Can't Post

We'll have to wait then. I hope that they get extended, though.

(This post was edited by NManfredi on Sep 2 2015, 8:56pm)

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 2 2015, 9:41pm

Post #17 of 44 (5015 views)
Shortcut
I think.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember someone mentioning that Tolkien in LOTR? had mentioned lions in the south - that yes, ME has lions....

Esgaroth: the Chronicles books talk about it as a trading center, so happily we could expect a melting pot - "this was the center of all trade in the North" and of course there are those sad remnants in the lake, too.

Susan
Bree

Sep 3 2015, 12:47am

Post #18 of 44 (4896 views)
Shortcut
Lions [In reply to] Can't Post

Apparently there were lions in the far East of Middle-Earth; The Adventures of Tom Bombadil included a poem by Sam called "Cat," that referenced lions (which begs another question, how did Hobbits, or Sam in particular, know about lions?).

(This post was edited by Susan on Sep 3 2015, 12:48am)

balbo biggins
Rohan

Sep 3 2015, 1:14am

Post #19 of 44 (4878 views)
Shortcut
lions [In reply to] Can't Post

theres no reason why a lion or a tiger wouldnt migrate from the east or the south, but then, why arnt there also any woolly mammoths?

because tolkien never wrote about them! you cant expect him to include every aspect of the natural world into his stories, he could only do so much!

though now i have an image of aragorn coming back from harad in a leopard skin skirt!

NManfredi
Rivendell

Sep 3 2015, 1:50am

Post #20 of 44 (4858 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

If Tolkien would have made a reference to every type of animal or plant alive he wouldn't have had a life to live.

On the other hand, that was a nice thought, Aragorn wearing leopard skin! haha a fine image indeed Wink

NManfredi
Rivendell

Sep 3 2015, 1:55am

Post #21 of 44 (4852 views)
Shortcut
You're right [In reply to] Can't Post

I remembered the poem and the reference, so most certainly there are lions in Middle-Earth. On the other topic, I don't know for sure, but wasn't Sam very curious about all things Middle-Earth and wasn't he always hearing the stories that came to Hobbiton? That might be the reason.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 3 2015, 3:27am

Post #22 of 44 (4810 views)
Shortcut
What does a lion have to do with Fili? [In reply to] Can't Post

Or for that matter, why would a cow represent Thorin? I can see why a deer could represent Thranduil.

In any case, I think what some people said is probably the most logical explanation - these are just carvings on the archways of Dale, and seeing as it was a city of trade, it's not inconceivable that masons, sculptors, artists and other tradespeople from all over Middle-earth might've either settled there or traveled there to do business.

I find it unlikely that the city would pay "design homage" to lords and kings of other realms in this manner. I do wonder what the "motif" for the Lords of Dale might've been though :)

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films. Exclusive content from The Battle of the Five Armies is in the works.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 3 2015, 3:32am

Post #23 of 44 (4806 views)
Shortcut
Why wouldn't Sam have heard of lions? [In reply to] Can't Post

He had certainly heard of oliphaunts! Lions existed in parts of Europe during the time period equivalent to the Third Age of Middle-earth. There is evidence of lions in Ancient Greece, Italy, southern France, Spain, Portugal, Hungary and the Ukraine.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Sep 3 2015, 3:44am)

lionoferebor
Rohan

Sep 3 2015, 3:49am

Post #24 of 44 (4790 views)
Shortcut
It's a fan thing... [In reply to] Can't Post

Some fans - including myself (hence my screen name) - think Fili's appearance resembles that of a lion, especially in AUJ with his gold hair and fur collared coat.

As for Thorin and the cow, yeah...I don't know about that. Crazy But I have heard him compared to a wolf...e.g. the silver streaks through his dark hair and the fur line coat, as well as a raven. Though usually it's Kili who is thought to resemble a raven, with his dark hair and dark eyes.

It's all non-canon (obviously) and in good fun. Wink

nusilver
Rohan

Sep 3 2015, 5:53am

Post #25 of 44 (4734 views)
Shortcut
I can't believe nobody has mentioned the statue. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's absolutely gorgeous, and unlike the DOS one which absolutely should have been Smaug, is absolutely the right choice for this film. Now I have to buy this AND the trilogy set. D'oh.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.