The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Return Journey by Howard Shore

Goldeneye
Lorien

Sep 2 2015, 4:54pm

Post #1 of 8 (2282 views)
Shortcut
The Return Journey by Howard Shore Can't Post

I think this has to be my favorite music track from the Hobbit. The new variation on the Shire theme around 2:00 is just beautiful. I really hope the return journey in the film is expanded so we can hear a longer version of Shore's music.

https://youtu.be/sBsh02JAqow?t=54s

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Sep 2 2015, 5:10pm

Post #2 of 8 (2232 views)
Shortcut
I love the ending of these middle earth scores [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the final three tracks (Courage and Wisdom, The Return Journey and There and Back Again) are wonderful. They're all so beautiful and have tinges of sadness to them as they close off the saga. And yet there's a certain eeriness to them, as they hint of things to come in the LOTR films. Listening to them definitely makes to want to marathon LOTR!

In particular I love the music for Bilbo opening the door to Bag End, at 1:55 of There and Back Again. Such a powerful visual and musical moment!

(This post was edited by SafeUnderHill on Sep 2 2015, 5:12pm)

Bofur01
Lorien

Sep 2 2015, 5:21pm

Post #3 of 8 (2204 views)
Shortcut
Agreed with SUH, I love the last few tracks. [In reply to] Can't Post

And especially Bilbo's adventure theme during the return journey, which is the one you posted the time stamp for. I just love it :)

NManfredi
Rivendell

Sep 2 2015, 9:07pm

Post #4 of 8 (2009 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful score. [In reply to] Can't Post

Totally agree. Howard Shore's score was one of the things that fascinated me the most about BOFTA. And in any other Middle-Earth film, of course. He's a master composer, imo.

"Is it not a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt for so small a thing? So small a thing! And I have seen it only for an instant in the house of Elrond! Could I not have a sight of it again?"

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 3 2015, 2:40am

Post #5 of 8 (1894 views)
Shortcut
I was thinking that just the other night [In reply to] Can't Post

Howard Shore really writes beautiful "aftermath of battle" suites.

You're right, those melancholic strings that begin "Courage and Wisdom" just elevate the score, and by the time we're back in Bag End, it segues perfectly into the vein of LOTR.

It's really perfection!

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films. Exclusive content from The Battle of the Five Armies is in the works.

Bishop
Gondor

Sep 3 2015, 2:55am

Post #6 of 8 (1888 views)
Shortcut
Howard Shore brought so much to the films [In reply to] Can't Post

He really is amazing. I'm always picking up things I never noticed, like what I think is a hint at "Into the West" in "A Good Omen" in AUJ soundtrack. It's an identical melodic pattern with a descending half step, whole step, repeated note, and whole step.

Here is the exact section cued up.

Incidentally this section is my favorite part from any Hobbit soundtrack and I'm pretty sure it was not in the film!

(This post was edited by Bishop on Sep 3 2015, 2:57am)

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Sep 3 2015, 6:54am

Post #7 of 8 (1833 views)
Shortcut
! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
He really is amazing. I'm always picking up things I never noticed, like what I think is a hint at "Into the West" in "A Good Omen" in AUJ soundtrack. It's an identical melodic pattern with a descending half step, whole step, repeated note, and whole step.

Here is the exact section cued up.

Incidentally this section is my favorite part from any Hobbit soundtrack and I'm pretty sure it was not in the film!

I noticed this too! Not sure if it's intentional or not though.

tiamy
Rivendell

Sep 6 2015, 10:20am

Post #8 of 8 (1529 views)
Shortcut
Great find. I never noticed that one... [In reply to] Can't Post

But does anyone notice a nod to "Bilbo's Song" from ROTK:CR in "The Return Journey"? It's around 2:36-2:46.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.