The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Silmarilion prologue narrted by Gandalf

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Sep 2 2015, 7:20am

Post #1 of 8 (1023 views)
Shortcut
Silmarilion prologue narrted by Gandalf Can't Post

I think he would be the one, at least in what refers to the music of the ainur, to voice over the intro if a film is ever made.

They could use as well Elrond´s Hugo Weaving voice for the following film etc

Here, for the spanish speaking ringers is the voice of Gandalf, Pepe Mediavilla reading the Music of the Ainur

Lovely, just lovely, I can see Ian Mckellen´s Gandalf explaining this to Frodo and Bilbo in Valinor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDBQavfoTiA

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

(This post was edited by Mr. Arkenstone (isaac) on Sep 2 2015, 7:20am)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Sep 2 2015, 11:41am

Post #2 of 8 (997 views)
Shortcut
I think Aragorn is the best choice... [In reply to] Can't Post

I can imagine the film opening in Minas Tirith with the foresight image that Arwen sees in RotK, where Aragorn lifts up Eldarion.

Aragorn and Arwen could be there as Aragorn explains to Eldarion the history of Middle-earth.

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Sep 2 2015, 11:41am)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 2 2015, 1:16pm

Post #3 of 8 (984 views)
Shortcut
Maybe not Gandalf [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf, as an Istari, is a being representative of the Third Age (even if he is really effectively ageless). Even Elrond is more of the Second Age than the First. I think that Lady Galadriel would be the most appropriate narrator for The Silmarillion as she lived through or was witness to many of the events related in it.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Wasserwaldnymphe
The Shire

Sep 3 2015, 2:04pm

Post #4 of 8 (920 views)
Shortcut
the voice of Gandalf [In reply to] Can't Post

is actually used for the German audio-book of the Silmarillion. The dubbing actor has a really nice voice.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

noWizardme
Half-elven

Sep 6 2015, 10:41am

Post #5 of 8 (853 views)
Shortcut
I can see Gandalf working, or the other suggestions... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it depends upon what you are imagining as the "framing device" - who is telling this story to whom at the start of the film, before we as the audience get lost into the film of itself.

Tolkien didn't (as far as I know) devise a framing device for Silmarilion (unlike Hobbit and LOTR which are supposed to be translations of books compiled by Bilbo, Frodo and their heirs. So that's yet another option- you could decide that the Silmarilion is known to scholars via Bilbo's Translations from the Elvish (collected in Rivendell, presumably), and so come up with a hobbit narrator

~~~~~~

Join us for a read-through of The Two Towers (Book III of Lord of the Rings) in the Reading-Room - 13 September- 29 November 2015.
Schedule etc: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=864064#864064

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 6 2015, 11:38am

Post #6 of 8 (850 views)
Shortcut
He kinda did... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Tolkien didn't (as far as I know) devise a framing device for Silmarilion (unlike Hobbit and LOTR which are supposed to be translations of books compiled by Bilbo, Frodo and their heirs.

The earliest version of The Silmarillion, Tolkien's The Book of Lost Tales, does have a framing device in the form of the mortal man Eriol (later changed to Aelfwine) who visits the isle of Tol Eressea and is told the old stories by the Elves who dwell there.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Sep 6 2015, 11:38am)

noWizardme
Half-elven

Sep 6 2015, 12:14pm

Post #7 of 8 (845 views)
Shortcut
Thanks: that's yet another option for the script, then :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~

Join us for a read-through of The Two Towers (Book III of Lord of the Rings) in the Reading-Room - 13 September- 29 November 2015.
Schedule etc: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=864064#864064

squire
Half-elven

Sep 6 2015, 2:17pm

Post #8 of 8 (844 views)
Shortcut
I would love to see it done that way [In reply to] Can't Post

As unlikely as it seems for a Hollywood-oriented fantasy franchise, such an approach would deeply honor Tolkien's earliest intentions in writing what became The Silmarillion.

However, it would probably run into the same mare's nest of thematic confusion that Tolkien did himself. The second half of The Silmarillion drifts towards the epic heroism of Men, not Elves (Tuor, Turin, Earendil), and the idea of such tales being told to Aelfwine by Elves seems less and less appropriate. Tolkien toyed with the 'framing device' puzzle for the rest of his life, and never worked one out to his satisfaction.

That's why Christopher Tolkien, with great regret, chose to omit a frame from the published version he produced after his father's death. Any audience for a film of the book, who have read only the book, will be quite surprised if the filmmakers do not just present the stories as a straight-line serial narrative.

For our consideration, here are the later candidates for framing narratives of what the Sil is and how we came to read it, as developed but never completed by Tolkien:

1) Modern-day scholars travel back in dream-time and discover their ancestors were the Dunedain of Numenor, who learned of the Great Tales from the Elves before the Downfall.

2) Some of the Great Tales (of the Music and the Elves) are preserved in the House of Elrond, and recorded by Bilbo the hobbit, while others (of the Heroic Men) are kept by the Men of Gondor and are added to Bilbo's book by his descendants in collaboration with the scholars of King Elessar.

None of these ideas seem like really great film-making structures, to my mind. Tolkien was writing more like a scholar of legends and myths, than like a simple teller of tales, when he fussed about this aspect of his legendarium. But I should think the last thing film audiences generally respond to is an excess of academicism and intellectual complexity; and I'm almost certain film executives would feel disinclined to experiment with several hundred million dollars to see if that is not true in Tolkien's special case.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.