Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
So...Green Weevil asks, What are YOU watching this week?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 2 2015, 12:46am

Post #1 of 75 (2862 views)
Shortcut
So...Green Weevil asks, What are YOU watching this week? Can't Post

(That green weevil icon is for you, GE. Wink I may cycle through using all of them, so they don't feel slighted. Very liberating!)

I caught the second episode of Fear the Walking Dead. I am waaaay behind the times but I finally saw half of I Am Legend before getting a combination of creeped out and too tired...must finish it as it looks very promising. Still in Gardening, and moving into Harvest Mode so not as much TV time for me right now as I will have in the winter.

Anyone going to see BoFA EE in theaters? I'm debating.

So....what have YOU been watching?

(This post was edited by Brethil on Sep 2 2015, 12:48am)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Sep 2 2015, 1:03am

Post #2 of 75 (2692 views)
Shortcut
What a Day. What a Lovely Day. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Shook the mirrors tonight watching the Mad Max: Fury Road Blu-ray on my Home Theater System. Cool

Suspect I've made new enemies among the neighbors. Tongue

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Dwarewien
Rohan

Sep 2 2015, 1:09am

Post #3 of 75 (2682 views)
Shortcut
Not much... [In reply to] Can't Post

since although Jurassic World is still in theaters in my neck of the woods (seen it nine times so far, all in 3D, much like DoS), the matinee is too early for me to go see it again (though I might on Thursday if it's the last day, since that will tie it with AUJ). I won't be seeing the Extended Edition of BoFA in theaters, since I live in Canada, and the US is the only country that seems to be doing this (probably a good thing, since the theatrical edition of BoFA was bad enough, if I also see the Extended Edition in theaters, you'd have to carry me out of there, seriously), so I'll have to wait until it gets released on Blu-ray and DVD to see it. I already have the 3D Blu-ray/DVD combo pack for Jurassic World on pre-order along with the final Chronicles book (I own all of them, including the separate Smaug one). I'm not sure how much longer Season 3 of Under the Dome will last, but that Christine Price character is bad news (she's played by Marg Helgenberger), but it's been quite an interesting season (I have the other two seasons on DVD, but I've yet to watch the second season, on DVD that is, since I saw it on television).Smile

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

(This post was edited by Queen of Erebor on Sep 2 2015, 1:13am)

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 2 2015, 1:20am

Post #4 of 75 (2678 views)
Shortcut
Thumbs-Up, Elfstone: I concur [In reply to] Can't Post

Some films are just MEANT to be watched that way, and from what I saw of it Fury Road qualifies. We plan on seeing it this fall on Amazon demand.

Maybe slip your neighbors some Reese's Pieces to smooth things over. Wink

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 2 2015, 1:24am

Post #5 of 75 (2673 views)
Shortcut
Trouble under the Dome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Interesting! Cool And JW is STILL playing by you?! That's quite a run.

I'm still torn on BoFA EE Big Screen experience. My son (Tallest Dwarf Prince) wants to wait for the BluRay. But BFF wants to go. So maybe I will go with her, and watch the BR with the child. Odds are I will buy him a ticket, as 24 minutes before it opens he will decide he wants to go after all.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 2 2015, 1:45am

Post #6 of 75 (2661 views)
Shortcut
What? There's an EE coming out? [In reply to] Can't Post

Three of 'em, in fact...October 5, 7, and 13...and I've got a set of three tickets for each of them! (As my eldest says, it's great to be a geek.)

We're watching some animations on Netflix. The anime Summer Wars last week (I did like it - it reminded me of Wreck it Ralph), and this past weekend The Secret of NIMH (I'd never seen it - worth seeing once!).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 2 2015, 2:10am

Post #7 of 75 (2653 views)
Shortcut
You reminded me - I did see Wreck It Ralph this week [In reply to] Can't Post

and I know it got bashed, but I rather liked it.

That's a LOT of EE's! Good for you!!!!!!!!! Hmmm, now if they are showing AUJ EE around here...that I would just take myself to see. My happy place.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 2 2015, 2:43am

Post #8 of 75 (2640 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

If you'd like to "hop across the water", the AUJ EE is the 5th, and we'll be watching it at the Regal theater in Branford...

If you go here and plug in your zip code, you'll find the theaters nearest to you: http://www.movietickets.com/...chRadius/40/tstate/0

Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 2 2015, 2:48am

Post #9 of 75 (2638 views)
Shortcut
I'd love to 'hop' Across the Water (on the Ferry!) [In reply to] Can't Post

Wish I had the time. But with hubby working OT every day off since November, I'm holding down the fort 24/7. Not a free second. Crazy I will have a look at the Regal site - if its playing around the block, that's the one I'd love to see the most.

Have fun seeing them all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Sep 2 2015, 3:22am

Post #10 of 75 (2625 views)
Shortcut
Only going to make BOTFA EE/animation at Aero [In reply to] Can't Post

in the theater. Will have to do the others on small screen. I will go to Awro on the 12th for LOTR trilogy.

Was at Aero in Santa Monica for spirited away and ponyo. First time I've seen spirited away in its entirety. It was a good story but I always feel there's so many cultural allusions I'm missing. Was not impressed by Ponyo. The animation was a strange blend of extremely realistic and exceptionally cartoony. The storyline was blatant eco political and unfortunately it was the English dubbed version and the voices were really distracting.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 2 2015, 5:44am

Post #11 of 75 (2623 views)
Shortcut
Humans [In reply to] Can't Post

I am really enjoying this series. Goodness me, it's a bit sci-fi and I actually like it. Talk about pushing the boat out...
And it is incredible to have something good to watch on free to air telly.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 2 2015, 9:21am

Post #12 of 75 (2612 views)
Shortcut
I keep agreeing with you. This is starting to concern me. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 2 2015, 10:34am

Post #13 of 75 (2604 views)
Shortcut
We synths [In reply to] Can't Post

must stick together. Cool

Annael
Immortal

Sep 2 2015, 2:38pm

Post #14 of 75 (2588 views)
Shortcut
Wreck-it Ralph got bashed? [In reply to] Can't Post

Where? It's got an 86% on the tomatometer & I recall only positive reactions. I loved it, personally; saw it twice.

I am catching up on "Community" reruns. Never saw it the first time around but am loving it. Speaking of Wreck-it Ralph, yesterday I saw the episode where they have to play a video game for Piece's inheritance.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 2 2015, 2:47pm

Post #15 of 75 (2581 views)
Shortcut
Ralph ended up rated that high? That makes me happy! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Wreck-it Ralph got bashed? Where? It's got an 86% on the tomatometer & I recall only positive reactions. I loved it, personally; saw it twice.

I am catching up on "Community" reruns. Never saw it the first time around but am loving it. Speaking of Wreck-it Ralph, yesterday I saw the episode where they have to play a video game for Piece's inheritance.

I thought I recalled a lot of negative press when Wreck It came out, that it didn't live up to the tradition. Maybe that was just random buzz, because 86% is a great rating. I'm glad to see it (thanks for the data). Angelic Could be that 'settle in' effect I suppose too, when hyped films or highly anticipated films come out to polarized reactions and then the dust settles.

That would be an interesting film study via the Tomatometer. Initial results versus 1-year, and if there is a visible patterning.

I do believe we have some 'Community' fans 'round and about.

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 2 2015, 3:38pm

Post #16 of 75 (2577 views)
Shortcut
Since you mentioned Community.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually just met Yvette Nicole Brown at a taping last night. Very nice person!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Sep 2 2015, 4:49pm

Post #17 of 75 (2569 views)
Shortcut
Also ... [In reply to] Can't Post

and "A" score from audiences as measured by CinemaScore.

It lost out to "Brave" for the best animated film Oscar (personally either of those winning would have made me happy, but I think Pixar tends to have an edge there because of their track record...)

I thought it looked dumb based on the previews, but when I saw it get decent reviews I took my sons, and we all enjoyed it a lot!

Dwarewien
Rohan

Sep 2 2015, 10:06pm

Post #18 of 75 (2535 views)
Shortcut
Apparently, this is Under the Dome's final season... [In reply to] Can't Post

as you can see by this article:

http://variety.com/...season-3-1201582208/

but iZombie will live on (since it's the only other show that I kind of like)! As for Jurassic World, it looks like it's held over for yet another week. Since it has a later matinee (2:55 as opposed to 12:30), I'll be going for the tenth time on Sunday afternoon, and unlike the other nine times, this will be the first time I see it in 2D on the big screen (since the 3D showing is too late), so maybe I'll even beat DoS (I've seen that one eleven times in theaters, all in 3D, with one of those times being in the new HFR 3D, which is abbreviated as STC in my neck of the woods for some reason). Do you know that some people have seen it 21 times (I'm referring to Jurassic World, of course)?! Even I can't afford that (unless of course, I owned the movie theater)! Shocked

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Sep 2 2015, 10:50pm

Post #19 of 75 (2528 views)
Shortcut
I'm watching a nice assortment [In reply to] Can't Post

of British murder mysteries. So far - Midsomer Murders, Inspector Morse, Lewis, Endeavour, Miss Marple (Joan Hickson because she is the Only Miss Marple for me!), Peter Wimsey (Both Ian Carmichael and Edward Petherbridge), Adam Dalgliesh (Both Martin Shaw and Roy Marsden) and the last was a bit of George Gently. I love how each had its own style and told its story in a different way. All have a murder, all have a criminal that gets caught, but how the main characters find their way and what affects them along the way is fun to watch.

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 3 2015, 1:02am

Post #20 of 75 (2505 views)
Shortcut
Free to err telly? That sounds like our news stations. // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
(guaifenesin)I am really enjoying this series. Goodness me, it's a bit sci-fi and I actually like it. Talk about pushing the boat out...
And it is incredible to have something good to watch on free to air telly.

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 3 2015, 1:05am

Post #21 of 75 (2511 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like from the article they will have 'Dome' finish on a complete note at least [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad you get to keep iZombie. Cool

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 3 2015, 1:08am

Post #22 of 75 (2505 views)
Shortcut
These sound lovely! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Midsomer Murders, Inspector Morse, Lewis, Endeavour, Miss Marple (Joan Hickson because she is the Only Miss Marple for me!), Peter Wimsey (Both Ian Carmichael and Edward Petherbridge), Adam Dalgliesh (Both Martin Shaw and Roy Marsden) and the last was a bit of George Gently. I love how each had its own style and told its story in a different way. All have a murder, all have a criminal that gets caught, but how the main characters find their way and what affects them along the way is fun to watch.

I agree about the characters being the real value of the puzzle, in the classic fashion that also reflects the British-style of mystery fiction. There will be a setup, red herrings, repeat events and both humor and consternation (humor is a fixed bit I find, but to greater or lesser extents) until the Hero has an Epiphany.

Its a comforting formula, especially when well done! Cool

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 3 2015, 1:10am

Post #23 of 75 (2503 views)
Shortcut
You make me feel very validated for enjoying Wreck it Ralph! Thanks, Arith! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
and "A" score from audiences as measured by CinemaScore.

It lost out to "Brave" for the best animated film Oscar (personally either of those winning would have made me happy, but I think Pixar tends to have an edge there because of their track record...)

I thought it looked dumb based on the previews, but when I saw it get decent reviews I took my sons, and we all enjoyed it a lot!

I do love Brave as well...that would be the one to beat, in just about any year. Except when Monsters.Inc was in the running.

Kim
Valinor

Sep 3 2015, 1:40am

Post #24 of 75 (2516 views)
Shortcut
Here's a list you may want to check out [In reply to] Can't Post

Just to make sure you haven't missed any vampire or zombie movies. Cool

http://www.msn.com/...ie-movies/ss-BBm36t5

Kim
Valinor

Sep 3 2015, 1:52am

Post #25 of 75 (2494 views)
Shortcut
I must say [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't really enjoy Wreck-it Ralph, I found the little girl's character really annoying.

That episode of Community was awesome! I still need to finish up their last season - got a bit behind and it fell off the radar. Good time to catch up before the new fall shows start.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.