Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
A couple of questions on timing : The Witch King's identity and Gandalf's learning about "a" ring

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Sep 1 2015, 10:12pm

Post #1 of 7 (5978 views)
Shortcut
A couple of questions on timing : The Witch King's identity and Gandalf's learning about "a" ring Can't Post

A couple of points have cropped up, about which I wonder if anyone has any helpful quotes or references ...

The first is when (and how) was the Witch King identified as a Nazgul?

The second is whether we know when Gandalf learned that Bilbo had found a ring in the goblin tunnels. I came across a reference to Gandalf setting a watch for Gollum, which I think logically demonstrates that this must have occurred before TA 2944 but wondered if anything pins it down more definitely?

Any views gratefully received!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 1 2015, 10:42pm

Post #2 of 7 (5972 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf and Bilbo's Ring [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, Bilbo revealed the existence of his ring to Thorin and Company in Mirkwood, so Gandalf could have learned about it as early as during the days following the Battle of Five Armies before he and Bilbo left to return to the Shire. Bilbo could have told him the same story that he he told the Dwarves during their journey to Beorn's house or anytime during that winter or the following spring. I doubt that it was later than that. Of course I'm only guessing.

I am not even going to attempt an answer to your Witch-king question at this time.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

noWizardme
Half-elven

Sep 8 2015, 9:16am

Post #3 of 7 (5820 views)
Shortcut
Reasons I can't answer the Witch King Question [In reply to] Can't Post

I tried to answer the Witch King question & found I got stuck as follows (in case anyone is interested, or is helped at all y my ponderings):

I don't know whether the Men who received Rings of Power kept that secret, or whether it was widely known from the first who the 9 recipients were.

I don't know whether the 9 owners of rings were called Nazgul immediately (e.g. it initially just meant someone who had one of those rings) or whether you also have to 'fade' to be considered a Nazgul.

Those factors make the difference between whether the Witch King was being called a Nazgul from the year in which he was issued a Ring, or whether it took time for the rings to make Men into Nazgul, and then for the existence of Nazgul to become widely known, and then for someone to figure out which men had become Nazgul..

~~~~~~

Join us for a read-through of The Two Towers (Book III of Lord of the Rings) in the Reading-Room - 13 September- 29 November 2015.
Schedule etc: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=864064#864064

(This post was edited by noWizardme on Sep 8 2015, 9:17am)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 8 2015, 1:41pm

Post #4 of 7 (5818 views)
Shortcut
Nazgūl [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I don't know whether the 9 owners of rings were called Nazgul immediately (e.g. it initially just meant someone who had one of those rings) or whether you also have to 'fade' to be considered a Nazgul.

Well, Nazgūl is a Black Speech word that translates as Ringwraith. Tolkien seems to have borrowed gūl from the Arabic ghūl which can be translated as demon and from which we derive the English word ghoul. I don't think it ever had the meaning of man as did the word wight. So, it is probably safe to say that the Nine were not known as Nazgūl until about SA 2250 when they appeared in their 'undead' state.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

noWizardme
Half-elven

Sep 8 2015, 2:45pm

Post #5 of 7 (5809 views)
Shortcut
Thanks: so that gives us an earliest date ~SA 2250 + the time required to work out who that wraith used to be // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~

Join us for a read-through of The Two Towers (Book III of Lord of the Rings) in the Reading-Room - 13 September- 29 November 2015.
Schedule etc: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=864064#864064

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 8 2015, 3:08pm

Post #6 of 7 (5810 views)
Shortcut
Angmar [In reply to] Can't Post

The Lord of the Nazgūl founded Angmar around TA 1300 and the kingdom lasted for nearly 700 years. It might be that the Wise guessed at the Witch-king's identity once it was clear that he could not be a mortal man. On the other hand, he might have been any of the Nine and I'm not sure how anyone would have narrowed it down further except, perhaps, for his skill as a strategist.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Sep 8 2015, 3:10pm)

Omnigeek
Lorien

Oct 18 2015, 4:20pm

Post #7 of 7 (4223 views)
Shortcut
Gollum captured TA 3017 [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
A couple of points have cropped up, about which I wonder if anyone has any helpful quotes or references ...

The second is whether we know when Gandalf learned that Bilbo had found a ring in the goblin tunnels. I came across a reference to Gandalf setting a watch for Gollum, which I think logically demonstrates that this must have occurred before TA 2944 but wondered if anything pins it down more definitely?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.