Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
it's the "yay, it's finally raining in the PNW" reading thread!

Annael
Immortal

Sep 1 2015, 1:24pm

Post #1 of 16 (1321 views)
Shortcut
it's the "yay, it's finally raining in the PNW" reading thread! Can't Post

Lily is on a well-deserved break and I'm subbing for her this week. We're dancing over in my corner of the US of A because it has started raining and the fires are GOING OUT. Last year we set a record in Washington state for acreage burned; we beat it this year. This is not a competition I want us to be participating in! Even the rain forests had fires because it's been so extraordinarily dry and hot. We had 18 percent of our usual snowpack and our normally wet June was dry. So even though the rain has arrived a few weeks ahead of schedule, no one is complaining.

I'm reading Robert Pinksky's translation of Dante's "Commedia" in preparation for a class I'm going to be teaching. And excited that "Shepherd's Crown," the last of Terry Pratchett's "Wee Free Men" series, is winging its way to me.

What have you been reading?

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Sep 1 2015, 2:49pm

Post #2 of 16 (1257 views)
Shortcut
A Breath of Snow and Ashes [In reply to] Can't Post

This is book six in the Outlander series. Anyway it's a good one! Gabaldon can write some of the most hysterically funny scenes! And there are several in this book, as well as some horrifying ones.

I won't say where Jamie and Claire are now, since that would be major spoilers for those who haven't read the books, but Jamie has certainly matured into a very noble and powerful character, and I love how he's become a patriarchal figure, now addressed as "Himself" as his uncle Colum was! That expression always makes me laugh, especially when used - often sarcastically - by Claire! LOL! And not to mention the humor surrounding their ornery white pig.....

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Sep 1 2015, 3:01pm

Post #3 of 16 (1255 views)
Shortcut
This was on my Facebook feed today [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that pretty much says it all!

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Sep 1 2015, 5:46pm

Post #4 of 16 (1238 views)
Shortcut
"Tiffany Girl," "The Corinthian," and "The Cost of Discipleship" [In reply to] Can't Post

Tiffany Girl was a historical romance about a woman who goes to work for Louis Tiffany when the glassworkers strike just before Tiffany's chapel is to be completed for the 1893 World's Fair in Chicago. I've read books by this author (Deanne Gist) before, and I like the way she delves into interesting historical events. On the other hand, I don't like the way her plots move along in fits and starts--which I suspect are the result of editors asking her to cut out irrelevant research or not-advancing-the-plot interactions between the characters. Still, it was a fun read, in which the hero and heroine not only actually spend some time apart, but really change and mature. Nice but not earth-shattering. But nowhere near as nice as my 30th (give or take a dozen) reread of Georgette Heyer's The Corinthian. Because sometimes you just need a comfort read. EvilHeart

I also started The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer. This is one of those books I thought I'd read in college but apparently hadn't, because nothing is ringing a bell beyond the odd quote. It's interesting to consider not only the spiritual implications of his beliefs, which he died for in a concentration camp, but also the social and political ones... Still have about 3/4 to finish.

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

smtfhw
Lorien

Sep 1 2015, 6:28pm

Post #5 of 16 (1236 views)
Shortcut
The Shepherd's Crown [In reply to] Can't Post

Which more than once moved me to tears... Loved it, and having rattled through it am about to start again from page

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 1 2015, 7:33pm

Post #6 of 16 (1229 views)
Shortcut
I finished the Harry Potter series. [In reply to] Can't Post

Rowling really is so good with her plotting. I enjoyed, again, how she brought references from the previous six books into the final novel.

And no matter how many times I read it, I always tear up at Dobby's death and Ron taking off his socks to dress the elf in his grave. Unsure

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ciars
Rohan

Sep 1 2015, 7:59pm

Post #7 of 16 (1231 views)
Shortcut
Fooling around... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm reading Robin Hobb's Fool's Quest, the second of the Fitz and The Fool series. I'm completely gripped by the twists and turns, and I'm getting to grips with all of the drip fed revelations about the main characters. I love the Farseer books and the world in which they are set, the books link together so you are always getting information about the characters, the live ships, the dragons, the rain wilds and of course the skill. It's an enjoyable but exhausting reading experience!

(This post was edited by Ciars on Sep 1 2015, 8:00pm)

Annael
Immortal

Sep 2 2015, 12:01am

Post #8 of 16 (1219 views)
Shortcut
The Fool [In reply to] Can't Post

is one of the most compelling, interesting characters I've ever met in print.

Can't you just see Tom Hiddleston playing him? Or 20 years ago, Johnny Depp.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Sep 2 2015, 12:08am

Post #9 of 16 (1215 views)
Shortcut
Captain Blood [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved this book. Swashbuckling at its best!

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Meneldor
Valinor

Sep 2 2015, 1:13am

Post #10 of 16 (1204 views)
Shortcut
Yarrrr! [In reply to] Can't Post

"It's the world against us and us against the world!"
Having seen the movie first, I was surprised by how much more intellectual and clever at scheming the literary Peter Blood was, compared to Errol Flynn's take on the character.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 2 2015, 1:16am

Post #11 of 16 (1204 views)
Shortcut
Busy so not reading much at the moment except apple tasting reports, but thankful you got rain! [In reply to] Can't Post

*Brethil out*

Ciars
Rohan

Sep 2 2015, 4:29pm

Post #12 of 16 (1191 views)
Shortcut
Ohh ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I've also thought Paul Bettany or Edward Norton would also make a good Fool, Johnny Depp in his Scissorhands era would have been great, as would Tom Hiddleston. It would take an actor capable of a complex character to pull it off.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Sep 2 2015, 6:03pm

Post #13 of 16 (1183 views)
Shortcut
"Romeo and Juliet" and "Emissary" [In reply to] Can't Post

I have now actually read "Romeo and Juliet" by William Shakespeare (for the sake of researching something I'm writing) for the first...and hopefully last...time in my entire life. I say "hopefully last" because despite it being a classic piece of literature, the characters drove me absolutely insane. Had they not all (including Romeo and Juliet themselves) been such...such...*looks up appropriate Shakespearean insults*...such cream-faced loons, Romeo and Juliet might have lived instead of killing themselves. Basically, I think the whole story is a hormone-fueled cautionary tale and I agree with a reviewer I saw on Goodreads who referred to Romeo as "Mr. Emo McStabbyPants".Tongue It took every ounce of restraint that I had not to book!wall the thing, and the only reason I didn't was because I had downloaded it as an ebook on my phone and I didn't want to damage my phone by throwing it against a wall. Not that I have strong feelings about the story or anything.Unimpressed

Anyway...The other thing I'm reading is a book which annoys me far less than Romeo and Juliet. It's called "Emissary" by Thomas Locke. It just came out this year and is the first book in a new trilogy called Legends of the Realm. The story of this first book is about a young man named Hyam, a simple farmer, who after turning twenty-one, discovers that he has strong magical powers. He sets out on a journey in order to discover the truth about himself and, along the way, finds that there are bad things going on within the realm, war is coming, and...that's about as far as I've gotten.

I fully admit that the pretty cover is what first attracted me to this book, but I am enjoying the story so far. My only complaint is that the author's writing style is a little different from what I've read before and sometimes I wish he would show what's going on in Hyam's head a little more, but otherwise it's a good book. I will most likely read the rest of the books in the series when they get released.

Lord I give you everything, Anything you want from me
Take my past and my future I lay it at your feet
Yeah, I'm after your heart, you've stolen mine
I give you my all 'cause you gave up your life
I'm not who I was simply because, Oh, you set me free

And you change me from what I used to be
Opened my eyes, now I can see
You're making this life so beautiful
So beautiful

~"Beautiful" by Dan Bremnes

(This post was edited by Eruvandi on Sep 2 2015, 6:06pm)

Kim
Valinor

Sep 3 2015, 2:09am

Post #14 of 16 (1148 views)
Shortcut
A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm about halfway through this book. It's the story of 4 parallel words, set in the London of each. Grey London is 1819 "our world" London, with no magic, Red London is a thriving world with magic, White London is fading and losing it's magic, and Black London is...not spoken of anymore since the entrance to that world was sealed hundreds of years ago. There are 2 characters who can movie between worlds, and so far the story centers around them as they move between the worlds carrying messages for the respective Kings & Queens of the first 3 worlds (who are the only ones who know about the other worlds). And it looks like we're about to discover what's going on in Black London...if it still exists. It's interesting, but a little dark (hence the name, heh). A fairly fast read though.

It has been a relief to have the rains come in after the hottest summer on record and help out with the fires. It's been kinda nice to put on my Seahawks hoodie and curl up on the couch with this book, but looking forward to the sun coming back for the long weekend. Cool

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Sep 3 2015, 7:19am

Post #15 of 16 (1133 views)
Shortcut
It sounds intriguing [In reply to] Can't Post

I might look into it. It all depends on just *how* dark it is though. I don't handle dark as well as I used to anymore. Unsure

You realize that life goes fast
It's hard to make the good things last
You realize the sun doesn't go down
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning 'round

~Do You Realize?, The Flaming Lips

Kim
Valinor

Sep 4 2015, 2:10am

Post #16 of 16 (1102 views)
Shortcut
I hear ya [In reply to] Can't Post

I walk a fine line with dark these days as well. We've already encountered a couple of sadistic characters and a torture scene, so if there's much more of that, I may have to bail.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.