The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Beren and Luthien- A film that needs to be made. synopsis

balbo biggins
Rohan

Sep 1 2015, 3:01am

Post #1 of 10 (3677 views)
Shortcut
Beren and Luthien- A film that needs to be made. synopsis Can't Post

Its only a fools hope, but i think this would be an amazing middle earth film, and it needs to be standalone it is perfectly bookended from start to finish and can work on its own rather than get lost in the wider silmarillion stories, which, lets face ti would need a multimillion pound 9 film saga to do it justice! and i dont think it would be a commercial hit, especially if they stuck close to source, and any changes would just completely destroy the timelines and just get lost in itself.

so that aside ( for now) lets look at how tantalisingly epic this could be.I thought id write it out so people can if they are not familiar with the story get an idea of the major plot points.

SYNOPSIS

PROLOGUE

- A FOTR style prologue on the battle of sudden flame introducing Morgoth, Finrod, Barahir the oath, the ring and the lay of the lands.it would be epic.

BEGINNING

The betrayal of Barahir by Gorlim tricked by Sauron, Beren pursuing the orcs and recovering the ring of his father. Berens wanderings untill finally meeting and falling in love with Luthien. Thingol setting the task of Beren to regain a silmaril in exchange for Luthiens hand in marriage.

Beren recruits Finrod and his men in fulfilment of his oath to Barahir to go on the quest of the silmaril. introducing Celegorm and Curufin and the different elf realm. disguised as orcs they enter Morgoths realms (galadriel cameo also i think)

MIDDLE

Berens group captured by Sauron, thrown in dungeon tortured and almost all killed by werewolves, untill Finrod breaks his chains and manages to save Beren.

meanwhile Luthien following Beren is captured by Celegorm and Curufin and imprisoned, manages to escape in a rapunzel like fashion, meets and recruits the hound Huan they rescue Beren defeating Draugluiin and Sauron they free the other prisoners, Sauron flees as a vampire!

Beren and Luthien set about their task but are attacked by the now exiled Celegorm and Curufin, Luthien heals Beren after his act of heroism. disguised as the evil hound and the vampire bat they find Morgoth and put him to sleep,with luthiens song

Beren uses the knife to take a silmaril from Morgoths crown, he attempts to take the others but wakes Morgoth, they flee.but are attacked by the giant werewolf Carcharoth who bites off Berens hand but goes insane with the silmaril in his belly, eagles rescue Beren and Lluthien.

END-

Thingol grants Beren Luthiens hand in marriage, Beren and Huan go and kill the giant evil werewolf who is running wild destroying the land gone mad from the Silmaril.

Huan is killed, Beren delivers the Silmaril to Thingol but also dies. Luthien dies from grief. Luthien sings of here fate in the halls of mandos, still seperated from beren in death, Mandos is moved and grants them both life, and they live as mortals until there natural death.

Im sure ive got some of this wrong and have used secondry sources, and its late, but does this not seem perfect for a film? and there is so much interesting imagery to set this in, also having sauron and morgoth as tangible villains is exciting.

discuss

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 1 2015, 12:26pm

Post #2 of 10 (3631 views)
Shortcut
It's Opera, Doc! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if the story of "Beren and Luthien" might work better as an opera. There is certainly enough tragedy in it. The same might be said of the "Tale of Turin".

But then I have also wondered if Michael Moorcock's Elric of Melnibone would work as a rock opera!

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Sep 1 2015, 12:28pm)

Susan
Bree

Sep 1 2015, 10:25pm

Post #3 of 10 (3572 views)
Shortcut
Maybe a ballet? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't quite know how to describe it, but "Beren and Luthien" always had a sort of dramatic, dreamy, fantasy-ish quality that I associate with ballets. Especially the scene when Beren sees Luthien dancing in the woods for the first time. But it might be hard to get the audience to understand certain things without words.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 1 2015, 10:33pm

Post #4 of 10 (3568 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But it might be hard to get the audience to understand certain things without words.

That presents a challenge anytime a complex dramatic story is attempted through interpretive dance.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Sep 1 2015, 10:33pm)

balbo biggins
Rohan

Sep 2 2015, 3:10am

Post #5 of 10 (3555 views)
Shortcut
wagner [In reply to] Can't Post

maybe it could have wagnerian themed music throughout, imagine morgoths theme! very fitting for tolkiens work!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 2 2015, 12:53pm

Post #6 of 10 (3536 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps... [In reply to] Can't Post

Certainly the cosmology of Middle-earth owes as much to Norse mythology as it does to Catholocism (compare the Aesir/Vanir to the Ainur/Maiar/Valar). Melkor has his origins in Lucifer, but also in Loki.

On the other hand, Tolkien reportedly did not care for Wagner's interpretations of the Norse myths, so any Wagnerian influence on a Middle-earth opera should perhaps be minimal.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Sep 2 2015, 12:54pm)

balbo biggins
Rohan

Sep 2 2015, 1:12pm

Post #7 of 10 (3531 views)
Shortcut
music [In reply to] Can't Post

yes, im talking about just wagners music, ride of the valkyries would be an amazing escape from morgoths lair theme!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 2 2015, 1:45pm

Post #8 of 10 (3528 views)
Shortcut
No, I don't think so. [In reply to] Can't Post

I would not directly borrow from Wagner. For one thing, it might be considered disrespectful to both Tolkien and Wagner. For another, the results might seem too much like parody.

Kill Gla-u-rung!
Kill Gla-u-rung!
Kill Gla-u-rung!
Kill the Dwagon (I mean, 'Dragon')!

dreamflower
Lorien

Sep 2 2015, 3:42pm

Post #9 of 10 (3516 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it would make a MAGNIFICENT opera! It's something I've suggested before, and honestly, I think an opera would stand more chance of getting the permission of the Estate than any film would.

Some people call it fanfiction. I call it story-internal literary criticism.

(This post was edited by dreamflower on Sep 2 2015, 3:45pm)

dreamflower
Lorien

Sep 2 2015, 3:45pm

Post #10 of 10 (3513 views)
Shortcut
Finnish [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I'd love to see it done by a Finnish composer.

Some people call it fanfiction. I call it story-internal literary criticism.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.