The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Attack of the Clones is boring.

DainPig
Gondor

Aug 25 2015, 11:02pm

Post #1 of 10 (921 views)
Shortcut
Attack of the Clones is boring. Can't Post

Sorry for this silly thread, but I need to express myself.

The Phantom Manace is a very cool adventure movie and has a nice story. I really love episode I, but... episode II, well, it is not the same thing.

I tried to watch Attack of the Clones, but at the half of the movie I left it. The movie basicly is that: fight scenes, conversations, fight scenes, conversations, fight scenes.

Am I just an idiot or what?

How aaaaaaaaaaaaaare you all???

Hey guys, my blog is: dainpigblog.blogspot.com

And my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Hobbit-Rules/676198089181339

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Aug 26 2015, 3:34am

Post #2 of 10 (867 views)
Shortcut
Star Wars generation gap [In reply to] Can't Post

You will find that many Star Wars fans of a certain age (especially those who were old enough to watch the prequels when they first came out) bear a strong distaste for the entire trilogy, sometimes with the exception of Revenge of the Sith. The Phantom Menace gets the bulk of this hate because it was the first one and thus the most disappointing when it first came out due to the weight of expectations. Personally, I think TPM is a mediocre to bad movie if I'm trying to be objective,* but it's definitely a lot better than Attack of the Clones, so I'm with you there.

*On the other hand, I'm young enough to have a lot of early childhood nostalgia for all of the Star Wars prequels and some of the spin-off video games, since those were among my first pop cultural experiences growing up.

PS Star Wars threads are never silly! Sly

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

(This post was edited by Eldorion on Aug 26 2015, 3:35am)

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Aug 26 2015, 3:44am

Post #3 of 10 (859 views)
Shortcut
Being of a certain age [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember the awe of watching that first scene of Star Wars (before it became A New Hope or whatever it became to be number 4) ....

I am still awed in places and by a great majority of the world building.... but I find myself cringing at the dialog. That scene between Padme and Anakin on the balcony is just so awful. A little less on the special effects and a little more on the writers would be really beneficial.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Annael
Immortal

Aug 26 2015, 3:52pm

Post #4 of 10 (822 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

seeing "A New Hope" (which was just titled "Star Wars") in the theater for the first time was an amazing experience. Nothing like it had ever been done before; it took movies to a whole new level. (My mother used to say that "The Wizard of Oz," with the scene where she opens the door onto a world of COLOR, had the same effect on her.) I feel sorry for people who grew up seeing it on video.

Yes, the dialogue was clunky - Harrison Ford reportedly told George Lucas "just because you can type it doesn't mean an actor can SAY it" - but the original cast had charm and chemistry and the story was gripping. Despite being a big fan of Natalie Portman, Liam Neeson, and Ewan MacGregor, I never warmed to the later "prequels," mostly because Lucas decided to indulge his own tastes without letting anyone curb him (a problem Spielberg and later Jackson both have). I think it was TPM where I counted SEVENTEEN long scenes of spaceships landing or taking off. No people, no dialogue, just "look at this cool CGI of a world and a fancy ship." Sorry George, you've been there & done that, time to do something new, like, oh I don't know, write interesting CHARACTERS? I was sooooooo bored.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

tsmith675
Gondor

Aug 26 2015, 8:25pm

Post #5 of 10 (803 views)
Shortcut
No you're not an idiot. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not a fan of any of the prequels. Revenge of the Sith undoubtedly has the most going for it, but even then I don't love it. But anyway, when it comes to Attack of the Clones, I surprisingly don't hate it. I actually think it kind of has a really interesting story. Now, the story takes some really ridiculous turns that make no sense. But it had a lot of potential. The Phantom Menace is my least favorite. To me, that's the one that's mind-numbingly boring.

The thing that I hate the most of Attack of the Clones is that literally every set is digital. There's so much CGI in that movie, it's just hard to watch. I find the story to be rather interesting, at least until it starts going dumb places. I think it has more redeemable qualities than The Phantom Menace. The storyline about the clones, Count Dooku and the Separatists, and a few other plot points I found extremely interesting. However, the story kind of turns into a mess and gets pretty confusing when things aren't explained. So I can see how someone would think Attack of the Clones is the worst. But for me, the story was at least interesting enough for a little while to keep me intrigued.

Now, The Phantom Menace really only has the end fight going for it. And even then, you can tell it's so choreographed it just looks like a dance. My favorite lightsaber duel is the one in Empire, the one that looks as though it wasn't choreographed at all. Plus, that duel in The Phantom Menace is almost completely ruined by the fact that it cuts away to like 3 other things going on, it's a little hard to digest everything at the end of it.

So, no you are definitely not an idiot. Even though I like Attack of the Clones more than The Phantom Menace, it's still my second least favorite of the movies. And I don't particularly like it, really at all.

Donry
Tol Eressea

Aug 26 2015, 10:00pm

Post #6 of 10 (782 views)
Shortcut
I am a member of [In reply to] Can't Post

the old guard, having grown up on the original three movies. I am not a fan of the prequels. I do think there are parts of Phantom Menace and Sith that are really good, but also some parts that quite bad. Clones though I find almost unwatchable. Imho, it is the worst of the three, by a long shot. There are very few scenes I find tolerable.

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

Twitter - @DonryFetor
FB - https://www.facebook.com/donryfetortheouthouse
Instagram - donryfetor
Blog - donryfetorsouthouse.wordpress.com

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 27 2015, 12:13pm

Post #7 of 10 (760 views)
Shortcut
I also think AotC is the worst... [In reply to] Can't Post

... at least as a 11 year old I appreciated TPM (though I can barely sit through it now and have no desire to watch iut again any time soon).

But AotC is just so badly written... that sand-conversation. "It gets everywhere"... it hurts how bad both writing and acting is.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Aug 27 2015, 4:12pm

Post #8 of 10 (744 views)
Shortcut
All of this means the new films could hardly be worse - so that is a positive! [In reply to] Can't Post

Withywindle
Bree

Aug 30 2015, 4:55pm

Post #9 of 10 (676 views)
Shortcut
I don't really like them (the Star Wars prequels)... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't like the writing in any of the prequels. In my opinion, Hayden Christensen is a horrible actor and so is Natalie Portman. I think that Revenge of the Sith is the most "fun" to watch. Still it is not that great. It's the least boring of the three. Anyway, Attack of the Clones is a boring movie, in my opinion as well.Unimpressed

Meneldor
Valinor

Aug 31 2015, 6:21pm

Post #10 of 10 (654 views)
Shortcut
AotC is my least favorite SW movie. [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved Padme's big new chrome flying wing spaceship. That was my favorite thing in the whole film, but then it blew up 30 seconds into the movie and everything went downhill from there. The droid factory fight scene looked like a cheap video game. The "romance" dialog was cringingly awful. 3P0's humor was as misplaced as it was flat and unfunny. The plot wandered all over the place and never resolved in any meaningful way. The characters were unlikeable. So, IMO, that's just not a good movie.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.