Still not sure where Ravenhill is
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Aug 31 2015, 9:20pm

Post #26 of 38 (4291 views)
Shortcut
That was the Elven map I was referring to by the way [In reply to] Can't Post

Just to check. I think on the movie -Thrain's map, it is pretty much where the "hill" on the spur is drawn.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Aug 31 2015, 9:27pm

Post #27 of 38 (4292 views)
Shortcut
If you freeze frame at 1:16:50 [In reply to] Can't Post

Just after Bard's cart strunt then there is a nice shot of the battle field showing you the relative locations of all the key areas - including Ravenhill.

ThorinsNemesis
Lorien

Aug 31 2015, 9:33pm

Post #28 of 38 (4283 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil's map names... [In reply to] Can't Post

That map is great! Although it now makes me wonder what are the translations of the other names on the map (besides Birdseye Tor, Ravenwing Ridge, Dale, Erebor, Laketown and Ravenhill).

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 31 2015, 9:47pm

Post #29 of 38 (4274 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
That was the Elven map I was referring to by the way

Some part of me knew that. I don't think that I was clear on that in my response.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 31 2015, 10:00pm

Post #30 of 38 (4268 views)
Shortcut
Map Names [In reply to] Can't Post

The named features of the Lonely Mountain on the map opposite Thranduil's map in the Visual Companion are (clockwise from the Gates of Erebor):
- Ravenhill.
- Ravenwing Ridge ending at Birdseye Tor.
- Birdflight Ridge.
- Thrushtone Shelf (I wonder if that should be Thrushstone?). Presumably the shelf on which is located the Secret Door; a change from the book.
- Western Spur.
- The Lizard Ridge (upper east side).
- Razorback Ridge.
- Iron Plateau.
- Eastern Spur ending at the Southest Knoll.
- Running Plateau.
- The City of Dale.
- The River Running.
- The Desolation of Smaug.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

ThorinsNemesis
Lorien

Aug 31 2015, 11:08pm

Post #31 of 38 (4257 views)
Shortcut
Location names [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for listing the names, I don't think I would have found them anywhere on the Net Smile

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Sep 1 2015, 12:58am

Post #32 of 38 (4242 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Otaku [In reply to] Can't Post

I have Fonstad's book but didn't even think to look in there. Just being lazy I guess.

I've have many M.E. maps on my computer that I snuck off the internet from various places. (The ones I deemed accurate at least.)

Here's one I made back in the early 70s. Bad behind the glass photo.

Not readable is the legend which list the travels of The One Ring, The Three Hunters, Ents attack, Theoden's march, Aragorn to Minas Tirith, Homeward Bound.
Each journey is marked in a different color on the map.
The legend border has a tribute to Tolkien in the Angerthas...

Also not readable are every town, village, river, mt. range, etc. that CJRT put on his maps.

It's about 2 1/2 ft. x 2 ft.

Sorry to toot my own horn. But it was a work, a long work, of love.

Color map photo ColormapofME.jpg

Boromir looked in surprise at Bilbo, but the laughter died on his lips when he saw that all the others regarded the old hobbit with grave respect. Only Glóin smiled, but his smile came from old memories.
-JRR Tolkien

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 1 2015, 1:30am

Post #33 of 38 (4235 views)
Shortcut
Good job! [In reply to] Can't Post

You're right. We can't see enough detail in the picture to fully appreciate your map.

CamdenMcAndrews
Rivendell

Sep 2 2015, 3:47am

Post #34 of 38 (4185 views)
Shortcut
The overview at 1:16:50 [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Just after Bard's cart strunt then there is a nice shot of the battle field showing you the relative locations of all the key areas - including Ravenhill.

Oh yes! Thanks for that! I can finally get my head around this whole battle and see where all the parts are... except for one part. Where are the holes that those big ol' worms were digging so that the orc army could sneak up on the good guys? It looks like it all starts with the Elf army facing north, toward the main door to Erebor. Then the Iron Hills Dwarf army comes down the hill from the east.

Then the worms pop out and the dwarves wheel 90 degrees to their left, which would end with them facing south. But in that direction lies the river and the city of Dale.

I am soo confusticated...

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 2 2015, 5:23am

Post #35 of 38 (4174 views)
Shortcut
I see a new name... Welcome to TORn, Camden! // [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by Brethil on Sep 2 2015, 5:23am)

CamdenMcAndrews
Rivendell

Sep 2 2015, 6:03am

Post #36 of 38 (4169 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the welcome, Brethil! [In reply to] Can't Post

I created my account a couple of months ago, but some little electronic cogwheel got stuck somewhere and it never got authorized. Finally, I sent note to Altaira and she had it fixed in no time! Hooray! (I've been hanging out on the IRC channel, too; same name.)

So, I've sort of been luxuriating in hobbitness most of the day; and I've barely made it past the movie forums! (With the upcoming EE of Battle of the Five Armies, movies are foremost in my mind even though I'm also in my umpteenth reading of The Lord of the Rings.)

Silliness: Despite the fact that I've been active in fandom for 40 years and even founded what has become one of the major SF conventions in the US, it didn't occur to me to look for Tolkien forums until I happened to see Peter Jackson mention them in one of the production diaries.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Sep 2 2015, 7:02am

Post #37 of 38 (4162 views)
Shortcut
They are visible at 1:16:50 too [In reply to] Can't Post

The worm holes are on the rightness of the shot. The battlefield is essentially a clocks face (roughly) with Erebor's gate at 12, the worms em evening at 3, Dale at 6 and Ravenhill at 9.

If that helps?

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 2 2015, 6:51pm

Post #38 of 38 (4123 views)
Shortcut
You know your way around Middle-earth enjoyment it seems! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad you found us then! Cool Lots to see. If you are interested, we take up the book discussion in the Reading Room in September (we're up to The Two Towers).

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.