The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Bard on rooftops

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Aug 30 2015, 7:11pm

Post #1 of 9 (1731 views)
Shortcut
Bard on rooftops Can't Post

So we know that Bard`s trip to the bell tower when Smaug is attacking Lake Town is going to be extended.
1. How long will this scene be?
2. What will happen?
3. Will the windlance get destroyed?
4. Will we see only Bard and Smaug or will we also see someone else? (The Master, Tauriel and the dwarfs)
5. Do you looking forward to this scene?

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Aug 30 2015, 7:19pm

Post #2 of 9 (1681 views)
Shortcut
I hope... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that we get something with the windlance. Seems really odd to have made a big deal out of it in DoS, and then we don't even see it in BotFA.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

DainPig
Gondor

Aug 30 2015, 7:32pm

Post #3 of 9 (1656 views)
Shortcut
I want to see the windlance be destroyed [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Probably just some shots, not longer than 1 minute
2. More tension in the rooftops
3. YES
4. I want more Bain
5. YEP

How aaaaaaaaaaaaaare you all???

Hey guys, my blog is: dainpigblog.blogspot.com

Withywindle
Bree

Aug 30 2015, 8:49pm

Post #4 of 9 (1557 views)
Shortcut
I know [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...that we get something with the windlance. Seems really odd to have made a big deal out of it in DoS, and then we don't even see it in BotFA.

That is something that really seems odd. I think that the third movie just had trouble finishing plots that were already set up.Unsure

Goldeneye
Lorien

Aug 30 2015, 8:52pm

Post #5 of 9 (1553 views)
Shortcut
Yes to the windlance [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm guessing we will see Bard witness the windlance being destroyed. Even though we know from DOS that he has no idea where the black arrow is, having given it to Bain before being arrested. As someone else mentioned, it was silly to build up the windlance in DOS and not mention it at all in BOFA. It would be nice to see a bit more Smaug as well!

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 30 2015, 9:39pm

Post #6 of 9 (1504 views)
Shortcut
Eh... [In reply to] Can't Post

Unless it's the windlance then no, not really that interested. I thought Smaug's attack was pretty spectacular & don't think it can really be improved upon. There are other areas of the movie that I'd rather them spend that 20 minutes on - like the funeral, Fili, etc.

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

lionoferebor
Rohan

Aug 30 2015, 10:08pm

Post #7 of 9 (1475 views)
Shortcut
I agree... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Unless it's the windlance then no, not really that interested. I thought Smaug's attack was pretty spectacular & don't think it can really be improved upon. There are other areas of the movie that I'd rather them spend that 20 minutes on - like the funeral, Fili, etc.

Aside from the windlance, I do not feel the sequence needs improvement especially when there are areas that need it more.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 30 2015, 11:29pm

Post #8 of 9 (1433 views)
Shortcut
How about this, though? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've mentioned this idea a few times before.

But I think this would be a cool opportunity to show the thrush one last time. He doesn't have to have a significant role, just quickly flying past in a shot would be fun.

The idea I had is that Bard is making his way to the Windlance, but Smaug destroys it. Bard loses hope. Then he sees the Thrush fly close to Smaug and notices the bare patch. Then makes his way to the bell-tower to get a clear shot at it.

I think in the movies the thrush represents fate. The first we hear of it is in the map's moon runes. How would these runes know about it unless it was fated to happen? Then we see the Thrush as a "good omen" on the Carrock - a reminder of that fate. So if we, very quickly (blink and you'll miss it), saw the Thrush during the Smaug battle it'd be a great way of implying that Bard was fated to slay the dragon.

Nuradar
Rohan

Sep 4 2015, 5:04pm

Post #9 of 9 (1040 views)
Shortcut
Quite frankly... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't care to see one more second of Bard on rooftops. What's the point? Really? When there is soooo much other, more relevant and important stuff, how could it benefit the story by seeing him run along rooftops for a few more seconds?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.