The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
my view on the EE

bilbo1997
Bree

Aug 30 2015, 2:19pm

Post #1 of 8 (2157 views)
Shortcut
my view on the EE Can't Post

I must say i'm disappointed with 20 minutes off extra footage, however if 65% of the footage wil be added in the third act, it can improve the movie overall. Let me explain why!

I think the part of the begin of movie to the start of the battle is pretty well done. What i think they should add there.

-Thorin: everything i did scene
- more Dol Guldur (at least the three elven rings and the staff exchange)
- Bilbo & Bofur, just for Bilbo leaves Erebor
- Gandalf tells thorin that his father loved him

We know from the trailer that we will see more Bard on the rooftops, that wasn't my first choice if i got to add only 20 minutes, but i think it is a great scene, so i can live with that

Dain arrives, probably a whole re-edited scene, we wiill finally see the battle rams and the ballista's, so that is very promising.

So, what i hope PJ added.

- bilbo plants the acorn & gandalf's speech
- chariot chase
- more Beorn
- Bard, Gandalf and Thranduils final stand in Dale (better ending of the battle)
- FUNERAL AND CORONATION!!

What do you think of my view on the EE? ( forgive me for my english if the grammar is not correct)

(This post was edited by bilbo1997 on Aug 30 2015, 2:22pm)

balbo biggins
Rohan

Aug 30 2015, 2:27pm

Post #2 of 8 (2127 views)
Shortcut
more [In reply to] Can't Post

whatever we get from the EE its going to be more of the same, dont expect miracles or youll be sorely disappointed.

what we need is a complete re edit, beorn needs a whole story arc, radagast needs more than just a convenient middle earth wizard bus, the dol gulder needs something, what happens to bard? the people the elves.... its just to much and the film overeggs itself and doesnt resolve stories, its just a war film with everything else thrown out the window.

so dont expect much more than more fighting more action, and much more story....but endings, resolutions, answers.. i predict will be left just as badly as before.

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Aug 30 2015, 2:32pm

Post #3 of 8 (2120 views)
Shortcut
Good list. [In reply to] Can't Post

Put in Bifur losing his axe and let the rest of the company do something in the battle + Bilbo and Gandalf digging up the Trolls gold and I will be happy.

squiggle
Rivendell

Aug 30 2015, 3:57pm

Post #4 of 8 (2015 views)
Shortcut
I'll gladly watch additional resolutions whatever they are [In reply to] Can't Post

But if given the choice of one thing, i would go for a 30 second to a minute sequence at the start of the film, which is revealed to be a Gandalf dream in his captivity, of Smaug laying waste to armies in a big battlefield, with loads of Orc armies, heck even Azog on his white warg involved, in the background.

That would say what how the whole trilogy came about about in a sense due to Gandalf's sense of Smaug becoming an unstopable ally of Sauron, the old enemy returned, in taking over middle earth with the Orcs. And at the start of the film, the casual movie goer wouldn't neccessary know that it isn't somehow directly following on from Smaug flying away from the mountain, even after dissolving to a captured Gandalf in his cage.

Cause there was a really cool painting of that done similarly, & i would like the way it fitted into things, & would give an interesting further overview of what is about to eventuate in the rest of the film Evil

Withywindle
Bree

Aug 30 2015, 4:18pm

Post #5 of 8 (1989 views)
Shortcut
Hopefully... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hopefully they'll put in the destruction of that "windlance" thing. Some things did not carry over well from one movie to the next.Crazy

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 30 2015, 4:53pm

Post #6 of 8 (1937 views)
Shortcut
I want the promised Dwarf hero moments [In reply to] Can't Post

which could include Bilbo talking to Bofur before leaving to give up the Arkenstone, and also Bifur losing his axe. More than anything I want to see Fili take out a few Orcs before he's captured by AzogUnsure That always bothered me because he's not the kind to go down without a fight.

I am ESTATIC that we'll get the battle rams, chariot scene and more Dwarf weaponry, so that will help make up for the Dwarves being so overlooked in the TECrazy I actually thought Smaug's attack on Laketown and the Dol Goldur fight scene were fine, so I don't personally need anything more there. The funeral is a MUST, the Coronations I could take or leave. Please no more Alfrid, I don't care if he gets chomped by a Troll but if it happens I hope it doesn't waste more than 30 seconds. Legolas, hm, figures he'd get more to do, hopefully they'll give Tauriel something so that she doesn't just look lovesick all the time. And one last thing I'd love to see - a brief conversation between Thorin and Fili, maybe where Fili tells about Bard killing Smaug. I know, it's probably too much to hope for. I'm also hoping for a better scene where we hear "I'm going over the wall," maybe they can replace that with something that looks less last minute? I'm sure I'm really going to love the EE, but those two would be icing on the cake!

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Glorfindela
Valinor

Aug 30 2015, 5:43pm

Post #7 of 8 (1880 views)
Shortcut
I like these ideas [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
-Thorin: everything i did scene
- more Dol Guldur (at least the three elven rings and the staff exchange)
- Bilbo & Bofur, just for Bilbo leaves Erebor
- Gandalf tells thorin that his father loved him

Dain arrives, probably a whole re-edited scene, we wiill finally see the battle rams and the ballista's, so that is very promising.

So, what i hope PJ added.

- bilbo plants the acorn & gandalf's speech
- more Beorn
- Bard, Gandalf and Thranduils final stand in Dale (better ending of the battle)
- FUNERAL AND CORONATION!!

What do you think of my view on the EE? ( forgive me for my english if the grammar is not correct)

One thing I don't need to see is a chariot scene – I'm interested mainly in character moments. I'd definitely like to see much more of Beorn, a resolution for Radagast and explanations for several things relevant to Thranduil. It may be a fool's hope to expect even a fraction of these things, however.

Your English is great, by the way – better than than of quite a few posters here! Thank you for your thoughts.Wink

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 1 2015, 10:02am

Post #8 of 8 (1362 views)
Shortcut
Not hoping for "miracles"... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but I agree that the...

... filling-out of the DG scenes,
... a different beginning of the battle,
... more Beorn and
... the funeral/future of Erebor & Dale scene...

... could very well make the EE the movie I had hoped to see in cinemas with 20 minutes plus.

This does not change that I think what came to theatres should have never been the TE - but it might very well give the ME franchsie the closure BotFA TE didn't give me.

"Icing on the cake" - what previous extended and additional scenes in the EEs mainly were (with some exceptions such as Beorn in DoS or Saruman in RotK) - would be scenes such as:

Bilbo and the acorn, indeed some closure to the battle in Dale, Bilbo getting the troll chest, mysterious Bofur scene, Tauriel's fate, windlance being destroyed, Ori giving his painting to Bilbo, Balin mentioning Moria etc.

Trying not to expect too much on that second front (very often the EEs delivered some totally yet brilliant scenes when it comes to little gems) - but some things are just must-haves.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Sep 1 2015, 10:04am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.