Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Its the OMG! THE WALKING DEAD IS STARTING what-have-you-been-Watchin'? thread!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 27 2015, 6:56pm

Post #51 of 88 (1566 views)
Shortcut
The Man from UNCLE - 2.5/5 [In reply to] Can't Post

Very stylish film, smartly edited and a wonderful hark back to the days when stand-up phones had dials on the bottom and car chases were done in a Travant ... but it felt like the story was going through the numbers. Lovely to look at; a bit 'meh' to follow. I'd wait for it to come onto TV.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Kim
Valinor

Aug 28 2015, 5:30am

Post #52 of 88 (1548 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit (Rankin Bass 1977) [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, that was...bizarre. I haven't seen that since I was a kid, and basically didn't remember any of it beyond Bilbo. Talk about speeding through the story, except for Riddles in the Dark. And it was really odd to hear voice actors from RB holiday specials, had the effect of coming across of a mash up. Interesting to see it was animated by Topcraft, a precursor to Studio Ghibli (although I don't really like that style). Smaug, the Elvenking, the goblins were just so weird visually. And the kaleidoscope spiders! Side note: the five armies in this were Dwarves, Elves, Men, Goblins and Eagles. I'd been curious to see it after all of the new ones and I must say, makes me appreciate AUJ, DOS and BOFA even more! I'm thinking it might be time for a Hobbit trilogy marathon this weekend!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 28 2015, 1:56pm

Post #53 of 88 (1529 views)
Shortcut
The Rankin/Bass Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

If nothing else, the animated special provides proof-of-concept that The Hobbit could be adapted as a single, stand-alone movie; although, it would feel rushed. I always felt that it was a shame that it was produced for a 90-minute, commercial broadcast timeslot. It might have benefitted immensely from another 20-some minutes and might have even been able to include both Beorn and the Arkenstone subplot. Even when it was first broadcast, the designs and dialect used for the Wood-elves seemed odd, as did the design for Gollum (although Tolkien did not clearly establish Gollum's origins as a Hobbit of the Anduin Vales until he wrote LotR). I'm guessing that Smaug's character design was meant to reflect his almost cat-like personality--cruel with a tendency to play with his food.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Aug 28 2015, 1:58pm)

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Aug 28 2015, 5:25pm

Post #54 of 88 (1522 views)
Shortcut
The Searchers, Midsomer Murders, Murdoch Mysteries [In reply to] Can't Post

John Wayne goes off the rails a bit in The Searchers and it's a bit frightening. He's not the tried-and-true "good guy". He's got edges and baggage and it's easy to see why this movie was one of his favorites. I was frankly amazed by his ability to act something besides his normal part. He was good!

Midsomer Murders - I really like this show. It's sort of like comfort food if one is allowed to call murder comfort food. It's the same kind of set up week-to-week and things go mostly to schedule - murder, badguy gets away, another murder to cvoer up something from the first, may another murder to cover that one up and then bam! soemoen remembers something and they catch the bad guy. The main characters a fun to follow through their "outside" pursuits and the writers come up with new and intriguing ways and places to commit the crime (once they used a wheel of cheese..). It's good clean fun and I get to see the English countryside. Can't lose there!

Murdoch Mysteries - I love this show! It's fun and creative and I recognize place names and I love the accents. We didn't get to Canada this year (no poutine fix! Shocked ) so this is how I get my fix. (That and I found out they carry Coffee Crisp candy bars at Wegmans!) Murdoch was at it again, inventing new and wonderful ways to follow clues and catch bad guys. The new season starts soon but since it's CBC, it is delayed in the US unless I sail the high seas to find it... which I would never do. Poor George is in jail! And we don't know what will happen to him! It's going to be a long few months to see the first episodes.

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Maciliel
Valinor

Aug 29 2015, 10:59pm

Post #55 of 88 (1492 views)
Shortcut
( flying, tackle hug at cg, reveling in the element of surprise (!!!!) --- ) // [In reply to] Can't Post

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Maciliel
Valinor

Aug 30 2015, 1:34am

Post #56 of 88 (1484 views)
Shortcut
saw it online ( flying tackle hug at brethil, as well! ) :) [In reply to] Can't Post

vs. on the telly. perhaps that might influence my reception (there's a pun in thar), because my laptop screen is a much smaller size than a telly screen.

am i the only one who found the white sweater / bolero that nick (the addict son) was wearing +insanely+ distracting?

in one sense, i think that costuming choice (the whispy, white female garment that was flowing wildly open), coupled with nick's thin, delicate and largely exposed frame heightened his vulnerability but -- dagnabit -- i still found it way to distracting. instead of concentrating on the peril, i was constantly thinking, "is that a girl's sweater? wth? is that a girl's sweater? wth? is that a girl's sweater?"

after watching the scene i figured that it must have been gloria's. but it was still distracting, even after i created this theory.

i did not find the mom annoying overall. i liked that she knew the kid as well as she did to take the knife from him without the principal knowing. however, i did find the daughter very annoying.

a big turn-off for me is the l.a. setting. very boring to me, because i've seen l.a. on so many tv shows through the years. if they were going to do a big city as a backdrop, i would have preferred a city we haven't seen as much of -- like boston. then we could have some irish zombies. or salt lake city. then we could have mormon zombies. or augusta, maine. then we could have a "pepperidge farms remembers" zombie. or lake wobegon. then we could have a show where all the women are zombies, all the men are zombies, and all the children are above-average zombies.

i, like cg, liked the fake-out with the crispy-clean drug-dealer friend. the wheelchair access at the back of his suv was a nice touch.

i think the actor who played nick the drug-addled son, just about stole the show. i have an aversion to drug-addict characters, so he had an uphill battle with me. i don't blame him for being incredibly freaked out. btw -- heads up to his parents -- wandering around a shooting gallery at which violence has been known to occur and shouting, "hello? is anyone there?" is avowedly not a smart thing to do. which they should know, as average americans, who will have watched many such cautionary tales on matlock, knight rider, and the hollywood squares. really, if you've watched any amount of television in the past few decades, you should know this.

btw, when i first saw that socially maladjusted teenager (from whom the mom took the knife), my first thought (honestly) was, "wow, i haven't seen a teenager look this old since stockard channing attended rydell high."

i, like you, loved the ambiguity with the vague, far-off figures.... shuffling because they are tired, high, drunk, homeless, old? or because they're z-walking? i dearly wanted to get a better look at that sheet that seemed to be covering up something behind the low wall (that also interested the mom, as they drove by).

i also noted fewer people on the street and fewer children on the playground, as time progressed. nice touch.

the knife is chekov's knife. the mom (who put it in her desk, after she confiscated it), will use it on the principal, after he turns).

btw, if the infection is spread by fluidic contact, nick (the addict son) is likely infected, as he probably shared needles with gloria. not everyone who dies at this point is infected (need to be infected to turn after death -- remember all those burned bodies in the cars on the road out of atlanta that were found by lori and crew? they looked like they burned to death, and didn't re-animate).

saw a bit of an interview iwith the cast.... lots of them with what sounded like kiwi accents (maybe some australian? not sure i can always distinguish the two).

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

(This post was edited by Maciliel on Aug 30 2015, 1:37am)

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 30 2015, 2:17am

Post #57 of 88 (1475 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Ataahua. Indeed, trailer looks can be deceiving. // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The Man from UNCLE - 2.5/5 Very stylish film, smartly edited and a wonderful hark back to the days when stand-up phones had dials on the bottom and car chases were done in a Travant ... but it felt like the story was going through the numbers. Lovely to look at; a bit 'meh' to follow. I'd wait for it to come onto TV.

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 30 2015, 2:21am

Post #58 of 88 (1479 views)
Shortcut
Ya know...I'm just not a big fan. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The Hobbit (Rankin Bass 1977) Well, that was...bizarre. I haven't seen that since I was a kid, and basically didn't remember any of it beyond Bilbo. Talk about speeding through the story, except for Riddles in the Dark. And it was really odd to hear voice actors from RB holiday specials, had the effect of coming across of a mash up. Interesting to see it was animated by Topcraft, a precursor to Studio Ghibli (although I don't really like that style). Smaug, the Elvenking, the goblins were just so weird visually. And the kaleidoscope spiders! Side note: the five armies in this were Dwarves, Elves, Men, Goblins and Eagles. I'd been curious to see it after all of the new ones and I must say, makes me appreciate AUJ, DOS and BOFA even more! I'm thinking it might be time for a Hobbit trilogy marathon this weekend!

Between RB and Mr. Bakshi's LOTR, maybe that's why I was so petrified that SPJ was gong in that direction. Just a bit too much oddness for me; I actually saw TH years before I read any of the books and couldn't really make heads nor tails out of it. So for me, obviously not a good translation as the texts seduced me immediately.

AUJ is on network TCV tonight, but like LOTR I fond that I want the EE instead*. Crystal Skull is on and I have that tuned in instead; I actually like CS a lot better than Temple of Doom.

*MAAAAAY tune in when Thorin runs down the burning tree. Just for a second or two.

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 30 2015, 2:23am

Post #59 of 88 (1474 views)
Shortcut
I agree. Quite compacted, and a bit too rushed for live action I think. // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The Rankin/Bass Hobbit If nothing else, the animated special provides proof-of-concept that The Hobbit could be adapted as a single, stand-alone movie; although, it would feel rushed.

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 30 2015, 2:25am

Post #60 of 88 (1476 views)
Shortcut
Love Midsomer! [In reply to] Can't Post

Watched it tonight, The Fisher King episode. Odd storyline to that one but just...fun show. I haven't seen Murdoch on my local PBS in two years. Not sure where it went.

Excellent points on The Searcher. I think JW had more going on than he was marketed for.

Kim
Valinor

Aug 30 2015, 2:48am

Post #61 of 88 (1472 views)
Shortcut
Oh dear [In reply to] Can't Post

I find Crystal Skull a bit too painful to watch, I'd much rather watch TOD or any LOTR or TH movie than that, even when edited for tv. Although yes, one wants the EE (and no commercials) when watching those. I may flip over to AUJ after the Seahawks game ends, while I'm waiting for the season (series?) finale of Hannibal!

But yeah, on the RB Hobbit, I found it just too rushed, and skimmed over a lot of stuff so that it didn't really make sense, then we settled in for a long scene with the weird Gollum. I guess that explains why the only characters I remember from my childhood viewing are Bilbo, Gandalf and Gollum. And why was Bard dressed like a Roman gladiator? CrazyCool

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 30 2015, 2:49am

Post #62 of 88 (1471 views)
Shortcut
*Beorn-hugs back* ! *WALKING DEAD/FEAR THE DEAD spoilers* [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
vs. on the telly. perhaps that might influence my reception (there's a pun in thar), because my laptop screen is a much smaller size than a telly screen.
am i the only one who found the white sweater / bolero that nick (the addict son) was wearing +insanely+ distracting?

(One pun point, noted!) That shrug was strange, and I figured along with his open fly it was just a very mixed-up bedtime that night.

in one sense, i think that costuming choice (the whispy, white female garment that was flowing wildly open), coupled with nick's thin, delicate and largely exposed frame heightened his vulnerability but -- dagnabit -- i still found it way to distracting. instead of concentrating on the peril, i was constantly thinking, "is that a girl's sweater? wth? is that a girl's sweater? wth? is that a girl's sweater?"
after watching the scene i figured that it must have been gloria's. but it was still distracting, even after i created this theory.

That - aside from the distraction you experienced - is very true, on the analysis of vulnerability. He's given a rather Hollywood-Faye Wray- cliché-white-dress-streaming .... yet he's a HE-in-distress not a she-in-distress. I like it for that upending of the trope.

i did not find the mom annoying overall. i liked that she knew the kid as well as she did to take the knife from him without the principal knowing. however, i did find the daughter very annoying.
Yes, I was remiss in mentioning that I felt the same. But then, my reaction to the mom was stronger than that of the daughter. I think we are not MEANT to like them, at least not yet. If ever. Depending on how the story unfolds.

a big turn-off for me is the l.a. setting. very boring to me, because i've seen l.a. on so many tv shows through the years. if they were going to do a big city as a backdrop, i would have preferred a city we haven't seen as much of -- like boston. then we could have some irish zombies. or salt lake city. then we could have mormon zombies. or augusta, maine. then we could have a "pepperidge farms remembers" zombie. or lake wobegon. then we could have a show where all the women are zombies, all the men are zombies, and all the children are above-average zombies.

CoolAngelicThank you for this, for all of this. My Bofur-laugh for this week. And likely next week as I shall keep reading it, again and again. Laugh Wonderful.

i, like cg, liked the fake-out with the crispy-clean drug-dealer friend. the wheelchair access at the back of his suv was a nice touch.
i think the actor who played nick the drug-addled son, just about stole the show. i have an aversion to drug-addict characters, so he had an uphill battle with me. i don't blame him for being incredibly freaked out. btw -- heads up to his parents -- wandering around a shooting gallery at which violence has been known to occur and shouting, "hello? is anyone there?" is avowedly not a smart thing to do. which they should know, as average americans, who will have watched many such cautionary tales on matlock, knight rider, and the hollywood squares. really, if you've watched any amount of television in the past few decades, you should know this.

Nice catch on the wheelchair access. And I think those two young men were both very strong, very good actors. That scene in the diner...so well done. As for the yelling in the bloody church...it just seems to underline the lack of common sense that I am sure will pervade the end of society. They seem to be infusing this particular family with a certain, almost willful set of blinders; maybe to serve as dramatic contrast, but really not so far from many people I know.

btw, when i first saw that socially maladjusted teenager (from whom the mom took the knife), my first thought (honestly) was, "wow, i haven't seen a teenager look this old since stockard channing attended rydell high."

*second helpless Bofur-laugh collapse*

i, like you, loved the ambiguity with the vague, far-off figures.... shuffling because they are tired, high, drunk, homeless, old? or because they're z-walking? i dearly wanted to get a better look at that sheet that seemed to be covering up something behind the low wall (that also interested the mom, as they drove by). i also noted fewer people on the street and fewer children on the playground, as time progressed. nice touch.

the knife is chekov's knife. the mom (who put it in her desk, after she confiscated it), will use it on the principal, after he turns).

Agree with all, and that fewer and fewer children is done very quietly. Excellent point on the knife too.

btw, if the infection is spread by fluidic contact, nick (the addict son) is likely infected, as he probably shared needles with gloria. not everyone who dies at this point is infected (need to be infected to turn after death -- remember all those burned bodies in the cars on the road out of atlanta that were found by lori and crew? they looked like they burned to death, and didn't re-animate).

That's a great point - I suppose the line between the spread and the deaths is a fine one, and predates the deaths of those seen in that area outside Atlanta. Not sure how it spreads?...it must be a wide vector, as by second season everyone will reanimate. I wonder if intense flame - as of a car fire or napalm - and cracking of the skull makes them truly dead? A detail I may have to revisit. Hmmm. My own pet biology theory (to which of course JRRT would say, I do not care) is that the pathogen requires a low to no (even anaerobic) oxygen tension environment, which is why any skull breach kills it. And that it colonizes the digestive tract directly and anaerobically digests food (and friends) directly without requiring any gut or any circulation.But since Robert Kirkman will never tell us, its all theory. Wink

saw a bit of an interview iwith the cast.... lots of them with what sounded like kiwi accents (maybe some australian? not sure i can always distinguish the two).

Clever folks. CG and I were discussing whether the subtlety of TWD will translate to here; and its a tough road I will admit. Tyreese's death...finding Sophia...those are hard moments to top. But I hope these amazing people carry it off.

Cheers back, m'dear! Cool

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 30 2015, 2:57am

Post #63 of 88 (1469 views)
Shortcut
OK, so if we watch an Indy marathon [In reply to] Can't Post

we can each make fun of the one we don't like as much, MST3K style. Laugh Deal?

Yes that R-B Bard has 1. bit too short a tunic for comfort and 2. lots of hairy-man-toe action going on. *Mmmph*. As well as a very overtly cartoon-Clouseau moustache.

(This post was edited by Brethil on Aug 30 2015, 3:00am)

Kim
Valinor

Aug 30 2015, 3:01am

Post #64 of 88 (1463 views)
Shortcut
Deal! [In reply to] Can't Post

TOD is certainly my least favorite of the trilogy (no, I don't count CS). Tongue

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 30 2015, 3:03am

Post #65 of 88 (1463 views)
Shortcut
Wandering a bit OT ... [In reply to] Can't Post

do you do anything for your Mason bees, or are they self sufficient? I read that if you use tubes as housing, they have to be de-mited annually when the bees are dormant. I like the idea of natural wood, I wonder if I can locate more of a permanent old-wood setup for them.

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 30 2015, 3:04am

Post #66 of 88 (1460 views)
Shortcut
<COOL> We can BOTH mock TOD. // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
TOD is certainly my least favorite of the trilogy (no, I don't count CS). Tongue

Maciliel
Valinor

Aug 30 2015, 3:36am

Post #67 of 88 (1456 views)
Shortcut
there are some things i love about the RB hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

there are some things i love about the RB hobbit...

i love the +music+. the misty mountains song... the riddles song... the goblins' song... i can still sing them to this day. : )

i'm not quite sure that the RB hobbit is a POC for making the hobbit as a much shorter, more regular-length feature film. it certainly felt cartoony and juvenille.. which was moderately okay, because it was animated. if the same pace were done with a feature film, and with the same lack of depth... i think it would feel more lacking, because we would expect more of live-action.

i think the choice to do the book in three films was a good one, and the right one. i think the writing was lacking. it didn't matter as much with lotr, where large portions of jrr's own words were used, but there wasn't as much volume to borrow for the hobbit. it had to be created.

i just rewatched bofa today, and so much of it had me cringing (the dialog between thranduil and tauriel, when she drew her sword on him, was especially painful). however, this same writing and directing team provided +so+ much that was superb, and added a lot of depth to the hobbit's characters, in a way tolkien might have wished (even if he might not have agreed with all the choices). this writing and directing team allowed artists like ken stott, martin freeman, richard armitage, graham mctavish and more to truly create three dimensional characters that we ardently care about -- but i'm getting off on a bit of a tangent....

the RB version was short, and sweet, and a bit flat. i enjoy it for what it is, but it is limited.

btw --- i have since learned that orson bean, who portrayed loren bray (the shopkeeper) on dr. quinn medicine woman, voiced bilbo in the rankin bass version --- that +cracks+ me up. but he did a good job. : )

can i mention again i loved the music?

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Starling
Half-elven

Aug 30 2015, 6:10am

Post #68 of 88 (1444 views)
Shortcut
The character of Travis Manawa [In reply to] Can't Post

is played by Cliff Curtis, one of our favourite sons. Heart
He has been in a number of NZ's most significant films. His most notable roles include the notorious Uncle Bully in Once Were Warriors, along with parts in Whale Rider and the lead in the recent critically acclaimed The Dark Horse.

Manawa is a Maori name, by the way.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 30 2015, 1:32pm

Post #69 of 88 (1432 views)
Shortcut
Well, the end of 'Hannibal' was...interesting (SPOILERS). [In reply to] Can't Post

I knew that Bryan Fuller had to end Dolarhyde's story in a way that was different from the book and both movie adaptations and the inclusion of Lecter did set it apart. And I do appreciate the beats taken directly from Thomas Harris' Red Dragon. I am not sure how I feel about the ending given to Hannibal and Will. I certainly don't see the relationship between the two characters the way that Fuller seems to. If we do see some sort of continuation of the series then I predict that it will start with learning that neither body has been found. I was hoping for a happier, or at least more optimistic ending for Will Graham.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Maciliel
Valinor

Aug 30 2015, 1:42pm

Post #70 of 88 (1420 views)
Shortcut
heya :) [In reply to] Can't Post

heya, starling : )

yes, i had thought he looked very familiar (and his kiwi accent was triggering associations), so i looked him up on imdb, and i discovered his whale rider ties -- and it all made sense. : )

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Annael
Immortal

Aug 30 2015, 1:47pm

Post #71 of 88 (1417 views)
Shortcut
just read a fascinating article about mites & bees [In reply to] Can't Post

sounds worth trying:

http://nwpr.org/...shroom-save-honeybee

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Elarie
Grey Havens

Aug 30 2015, 3:34pm

Post #72 of 88 (1417 views)
Shortcut
The beginning had me totally fooled [In reply to] Can't Post

Spoilers
I couldn't believe what they did at the beginning and I was thinking, "That's IT? Are they kidding?" I was almost mad and was wondering what was the point of watching the rest of the show, LOL. Well, they certainly got me on that one. I was a little disappointed to see Reba taken out of the story so early, but that's probably because I've only watched the Red Dragon episodes and didn't have as much interest in the other characters. Overall I guess it was a good final episode, and if I could have an imaginary continuation I would have liked to have seen more episodes with more interaction between Hannibal and Dolarhyde. I thought their conversations were some of the most interesting in the show and watching Hannibal manipulate Dolarhyde's poor sick mind was pretty great stuff and just made me want to bean Hannibal over the head with the nearest heavy object. And really, why did no one ever just do that?

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

Kim
Valinor

Aug 30 2015, 5:03pm

Post #73 of 88 (1409 views)
Shortcut
I wasn't fooled, but **spoilers** [In reply to] Can't Post

I was definitely very tense watching that scene! I was afraid he would actually kill her. I'm glad he let her go, even if it was just to help confirm what he wanted others to believe. It was interesting that he wouldn't let her touch his face, I think because he didn't want her to somehow bring out the pre-Dragon Francis. He was an interesting mix of Francis and the Dragon at that point. Richard really was amazing in this role.

So yeah, the whole plan to "change" Hannibal, you just knew that wasn't going to go according to plan, but I wonder if they really thought about the danger they were putting the other FBI and police officers in. And by the time we got to the end, we were back to the stylish, artsy, lots of blood death scene. Nice touch having the blood pool under Francis look like the Dragon's wings.

just made me want to bean Hannibal over the head with the nearest heavy object. And really, why did no one ever just do that?

I wondered that quite often too! But then again, the show was called Hannibal... It's kind of like he had a snake-like way of mesmerizing others, they couldn't act against him directly and tried to manipulate around him instead. I thought it was a good cliff hanger type ending that could go either way if the show came back, but like Otaku-sempai, never quite saw the Will and Hannibal relationship as it was presented. And Bedelia! OMG!

MatthewJer18
Rohan

Aug 30 2015, 7:24pm

Post #74 of 88 (1397 views)
Shortcut
It can be read as an optimistic ending. [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved how the monster that Hannibal tried to create both submitted to the darkness within him and turned against his creator. If you believe that there was any decency left in Will, the jump was his way of finally regaining control - of both his and Hannibal's fates.

Hannibal and Will having a more intimate connection isn't lifted directly from the books, but that's what I enjoy about this particular adaptation. Will is perhaps the only person who can truly understand Hannibal, and Hannibal is perhaps the only person who can truly understand Will. If that wasn't the case, Hannibal would have killed him long ago. Fuller's intention from the beginning has been to explore the surprising intimacy of male relationships -- how they can in so many ways be more emotional than sexual relationships -- and that focus has resulted in a dynamic between them that's much more interesting than what's in the book, in my opinion. Mads' interpretation of Hannibal as an otherworldly, Lucifer-type figure brings in an interesting element of seduction.

(This post was edited by MatthewJer18 on Aug 30 2015, 7:24pm)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 31 2015, 1:40pm

Post #75 of 88 (1365 views)
Shortcut
I have to wonder about "Hannibal" [In reply to] Can't Post

Well the first half did indeed follow the book, and can I just say again how terrific Richard and Rutina are together! She seemed so genuinely terrified, and he was absolutely malevolent. I've seen Richard play Guy of Gisborne, where he murdered Marian, also a drug-dealing con artist and Heinz Kruger. The guy can really play a villain (surely I don't have to say anything about Thorin's dragon-sickness), but I think he really outdid himself here. I would LOVE to see them work together again on some future project, it would be fantastic!

But the second half, well, he seemed like the Terminator. How did he know EXACTLY where the FBI were? Did Hannibal tell him? And then why did he leave Hannibal alive, if he intended to kill him all along? I loved the scene where he shot Hannibal through the window, that kind of tied things back to the beginning, and yeah, the artsy blood. And I guess Hugh and Mads aren't incredibly tall, because Richard looked huge next to them. I can definitely see Hannibal fighting Dolarhyde to save Will, I know it's weird but in a previous episode he indicated that he would do that. Will got stabbed in the face just like in the book, but of course the setting was different. Sorry, but I do like the book's ending better. And I have to wonder if Bryan Fuller didn't re-shoot that last scene when he found the series was cancelled. I mean, that seemed like a series finale to me - and a pretty good one, despite my liking the books ending better.

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.