Warner Bros. Apparently CHANGED Final Hobbit
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

DarkHunter
The Shire

Aug 29 2015, 8:55pm

Post #1 of 48 (4005 views)
Shortcut
Warner Bros. Apparently CHANGED Final Hobbit Can't Post

I rarely post on here and I'm not entirely sure how accurate this is, and I've also posted it to the News Section in case there is any fact to it, but apparently...

Warner Brothers have had the most control over the final Hobbit film and altered many aspects that is not to Peter Jackson's liking, and not what he wanted at all, according to this (see below). Hope it is worth mentioning, even just briefly. I wonder if there is any merit to it?

What do you all think?? Shocked

https://www.fimfiction.net/...destroyed-the-hobbit

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Aug 29 2015, 9:38pm)

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Aug 29 2015, 9:10pm

Post #2 of 48 (3840 views)
Shortcut
There is one thing they got wrong in this [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The sub-plot also of Kili being hit with an arrow by Bolg was one of the additions during re-shoots. The healing scene DID happen but with someone else (I'll keep it hush hush until a later blog post), but when it came time to expand the films, it was changed to Kili.

Not true, the healing scene (Whit Kili) was the first thing Evangeline Lilly shot back in october/November 2011.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 29 2015, 9:44pm

Post #3 of 48 (3755 views)
Shortcut
I'll never know if that article has anything much worth knowing [In reply to] Can't Post

because the OMG overload of gifs make it a painful to read.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Aug 29 2015, 9:47pm

Post #4 of 48 (3744 views)
Shortcut
You keep saying this... [In reply to] Can't Post

but why does the EMPIRE on-set report for DoS, published Aug 2013, specifically stated that the journalist had watched Lily resuscitating a human child "with a burst of liquid Elvish?". interestingly we can date the set visit to June 2013, as mentioned in the article...which also mentions Bolg still being played by Conan Stevens!

Here's scans of the relevant pages

http://s574.photobucket.com/...13?sort=2&page=1

The mention of the healing scene is on the first page, (64)

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Starling
Half-elven

Aug 29 2015, 9:53pm

Post #5 of 48 (3733 views)
Shortcut
I took one for the team and waded through the OMG's [In reply to] Can't Post

There is nothing there that we didn't already know, as far as I can tell.
And when you get to the big reveal, and think you are going to find out the answer to the conspiracy of how exactly the evil Warner Bros cut 10mins of the BOTFA EE, the link takes you to....the TORn homepage article which tells us that originally PJ had said he thought the EE would be 30 minutes longer, but that now we know it is 20 minutes longer than the TE.

That's ten minutes of my life I won't get back. You're welcome. Laugh

DarkHunter
The Shire

Aug 29 2015, 9:57pm

Post #6 of 48 (3719 views)
Shortcut
There were new bits for me... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
There is nothing there that we didn't already know, as far as I can tell... That's ten minutes of my life I won't get back. You're welcome. Laugh

Apologies. Laugh I wasn't aware of all of it. I knew a lot but not all of it and a lot of it is hinting towards the possible outcome of this long-awaited EE.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 29 2015, 9:57pm

Post #7 of 48 (3715 views)
Shortcut
I don't have the DoS EE on me... [In reply to] Can't Post

But apparently the bonus features say that this scene was Lilly's first on set. I would like some solid confirmation of what exactly is said regarding the scene.

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Aug 29 2015, 9:58pm)

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Aug 29 2015, 10:03pm

Post #8 of 48 (3711 views)
Shortcut
I don`t know [In reply to] Can't Post

but I must correct myself it was in August/September 2011 but it is stil
Evangeline Lilly first scene.
Source
The appendices part 9, Bard´s house.
And just look at Bain in that scene he is just a little boy here, comparing to pick ups 2013.

DarkHunter
The Shire

Aug 29 2015, 10:06pm

Post #9 of 48 (3699 views)
Shortcut
Hmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if the rest of the article is accurate or just folly?

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 29 2015, 10:10pm

Post #10 of 48 (3684 views)
Shortcut
How Inception-esque [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
the link takes you to....the TORn homepage article

And you get a gold Lorien leaf for wading into the muck so others (*cough*me*cough*) don't have to.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Aug 29 2015, 10:12pm

Post #11 of 48 (3678 views)
Shortcut
I did initially wonder.... [In reply to] Can't Post

if the set visit was actually during Principal Photography, and held over to be published in the run-up to DoS, but the artcile goes on to specifically date "this lunchtime" meeting they are privy to between PB & J, to early June 2013. I suppose the article could be cobbled together from an earlier visit?

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

(This post was edited by Eleniel on Aug 29 2015, 10:14pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 29 2015, 10:13pm

Post #12 of 48 (3678 views)
Shortcut
Seems to me this article is just a blog....... [In reply to] Can't Post

... someone voicing his personal theories about the film. It doesn't mean anything more than any one of us churning out 'who dunnit' theories about whose decision this or that was. Certainly nothing to take notice of or get excited about.

I can't see any evidence that he knows any more than any of us do. Anyone can post anything they like on the internet - doesn't mean it's right.

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 29 2015, 10:39pm

Post #13 of 48 (3626 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

this is hilariousCool - putting a dark conspiracy tone on stuff that many fans already know.Laugh

But then the most infamous decision in the series happened: they decided to make it three movies half-way through filming the second film. The sound editors and mixed explained that they had to create and design whole new sounds half-way through production.

I mean, so what? And anyway, I personally couldn't be happier there are three films - I wish there were sixTongue, seeing as what PJ did. I LIKE PJ's Middle Earth.

And stuff like:

"I will see it, but not now. I'm not sure what the studio has done with it." - Peter Jackson to an interviewer at The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies premiere.

Nice to leave out the part where PJ was saying he wanted to experience the movie just like a fan would - can't imagine why, after all those months with little sleep.Unimpressed

This was funEvil - tho it's stuff like this that IMO explains why directors wisely simply hunker down and close off their sets, so they can work in peace.Unimpressed

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 29 2015, 11:48pm

Post #14 of 48 (3535 views)
Shortcut
I don't know about that, but I do think WB wanted more Legolas [In reply to] Can't Post

I think WB (or maybe Jackson) wanted more Legolas, for obvious marketing reasons, and that was one of the key failures that led to the reduction of Beorn's role. It's the biggest issue I personally have with the final film.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Aug 29 2015, 11:57pm

Post #15 of 48 (3524 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

This is too much. Laugh

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Aug 30 2015, 12:10am

Post #16 of 48 (3514 views)
Shortcut
Meaningless without evidence [In reply to] Can't Post

Amidst all the sound and fury of that article there are two specific links given as sources for specific claims. They are:

- This interview which is presented as evidence for WB adding Legolas to the love triangle, but if you actually read it, Boyens claims that the writers made the decision to add Legolas .

- This recent TORn post, which is presented as evidence for WB reducing to length of BOFA-EE, but actually says nothing of the sort.

So yeah, this is less shocking expose and more (er, entirely) unsubstantiated mudslinging.

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

lionoferebor
Rohan

Aug 30 2015, 2:00am

Post #17 of 48 (3411 views)
Shortcut
What is WB responsible for? [In reply to] Can't Post

Too often are there threads on these boards filled with speculation in regards to who - i.e. PJ or WB - is responsible for the final outcome of The Hobbit films. Two of which were posted earlier today. Reading through these threads got me thinking: when it comes to the world of film what role does a multi-billion dollar studio like WB play?

I know sometimes the studio will provide space to for the filming of production, but that was not the case with The Hobbit since it was filmed at Stone Street Studios which are owned by PJ and on location in NZ. I also know the studio is usually responsible for promoting the film...and that alone is a big hunk of cash...while the producers usually fund the production of the film.

So is WB only responsible for the promotion of these films? Or does the studio have influence in other areas aside from those mentioned above? What are your thoughts?

balbo biggins
Rohan

Aug 30 2015, 2:32am

Post #18 of 48 (3376 views)
Shortcut
money [In reply to] Can't Post

they pay for everything! e.g produce! hence having a say on a few things during film production, and in some extreme examples dictating aspects of films storylines.

(This post was edited by balbo biggins on Aug 30 2015, 2:36am)

Susan
Bree

Aug 30 2015, 2:37am

Post #19 of 48 (3365 views)
Shortcut
Studio Influence [In reply to] Can't Post

There was a debate recently about the Fantastic Four movie, with the director blaming the studio for making very significant changes, and basically taking over the reins. I'm sure this wasn't the case with PJ and WB, at least not as extreme, but I was wondering if this kind of interference is common in the movie industry, and most directors just don't speak out about it due to professionalism or some other reason.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Aug 30 2015, 3:01am

Post #20 of 48 (3340 views)
Shortcut
New Line [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ was pretty open when it came to New Line's attempts at dictating/suggesting certain story decisions for LotR, like when they wanted The Two Towers to have a prologue that was essentially a "previously on Lord of the Rings" style recap.

lionoferebor
Rohan

Aug 30 2015, 3:12am

Post #21 of 48 (3328 views)
Shortcut
WB and PJ [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
There was a debate recently about the Fantastic Four movie, with the director blaming the studio for making very significant changes, and basically taking over the reins. I'm sure this wasn't the case with PJ and WB, at least not as extreme...

I'm pretty sure WB had some influence. Crazy It's hard for me to believe that any company - whether it's a small family business or a multi-billion dollar studio - would put money toward a project and be okay with having little to no say in it, plus accept that little to none of their proposals made into the final product. Unsure And yes, I know PJ said he was going to make these films his way...but what he wanted to do and may have been able to do are two different things. So, I guess, for myself, it's both PJ and WB who are responsible for the outcome of these films and IMHO I do not feel one out-weighed the other...and if so, only by a little.

In Reply To
but I was wondering if this kind of interference is common in the movie industry, and most directors just don't speak out about it due to professionalism or some other reason.

I'm not sure how often it happens, but I'm sure Fantastic Four was not the first nor will it be the last. My guess directors who have had this unfortunate experience probably remain quiet for professional reasons.

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Aug 30 2015, 3:22am

Post #22 of 48 (3320 views)
Shortcut
PJ is a very lucky and unusual filmmaker... [In reply to] Can't Post

...in that he has such massive successes to his name and that he is a not-insignificant part of the draw for his movies. This, coupled with him filming in New Zealand and also being a producer and owning many of the production facilities, gives him a level of autonomy that most film directors can only dream of. I don't think anyone is suggesting that the studio had no involvement at all, but PJ's position is strong enough that I don't think we can assume studio interference was to blame for any specific things without evidence.

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

Lindele
Gondor

Aug 30 2015, 4:00am

Post #23 of 48 (3298 views)
Shortcut
I am so confused [In reply to] Can't Post

as to why everyone is so shocked that the film is 20 min longer when PJ estimated 30 min longer in December, to the point of creating conspiracy theories that WB cut the movie down without his consent. Are we that desperate?
In January of 2013, right after AUJ was first released in theaters PJ said that the EE would be 25-30 min longer, it's literally in a video interview. Yet when it finally came out several months later it was only 13 minutes longer. It was an estimation! Is it really so hard to conceptualize that the EE, like the TE was a work in progress during the editing process? It's not done until it is done. We as fans are so desperate for any bit of news that we beg for answers when he isn't ready to give them, and when he gives estimations we take them so seriously to heart that we lose our minds when the end result is slightly different.
Why? Why? Why???
I really don't understand people's mindset.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 30 2015, 4:13am

Post #24 of 48 (3283 views)
Shortcut
Well said! [In reply to] Can't Post

In the end, I think both WB and PJ are responsible, and should be held equally accountable, for how these films turned out.

I don't think it's fair to place blame for the bad, or attribute credit for the good, on either entity while absolving, or discounting, the other (respectively).

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films. Exclusive content from The Battle of the Five Armies is in the works.

lionoferebor
Rohan

Aug 30 2015, 4:27am

Post #25 of 48 (3273 views)
Shortcut
So... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I don't think anyone is suggesting that the studio had no involvement at all, but PJ's position is strong enough that I don't think we can assume studio interference was to blame for any specific things without evidence.

So...are you saying WB may have or may not have had influence in these films?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.