Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Could this movie turn out to be waaaay diferent of what we have seen in cinemas?

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Aug 29 2015, 4:56pm

Post #1 of 16 (1982 views)
Shortcut
Could this movie turn out to be waaaay diferent of what we have seen in cinemas? Can't Post

Seeing the brief shots of the trailer its clear that some scenes are gona be diferent than the TE. Talking about Dain here for example...

Not only new scenes but the ones remaining

Seeing how solid movie DOS comes to be in the EE I cant imagine that the BOTFA ends the story in a lower level IMHO than its predecessor.

Tthe script is well written wether you like the changes or not, AUJ becomes solid in the EE Dos a lot more as a stand alone film but the theatrical cut of BOTFA is a rush and makes no sense to be like that

I hope Im right and that the reason we are geting this on cinemas is because the movi ha REALLY CHANGED a lot and improved, I cannot find a worthy reason for all of this only the adding of some chariot scene, there has to be something more significant for doing this movement

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

NManfredi
Rivendell

Aug 29 2015, 5:12pm

Post #2 of 16 (1891 views)
Shortcut
I hope so [In reply to] Can't Post

It is my sincere wish that the EE could take on a whole new level, much alike the EE for the ROTK has achieved. I think that if the material they added turns out to be good, lots of the complaints will be toned down, and we could ultimately have a much better movie to watch. I hope I'm not mistaken.

"Is it not a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt for so small a thing? So small a thing! And I have seen it only for an instant in the house of Elrond! Could I not have a sight of it again?"

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Aug 29 2015, 5:38pm

Post #3 of 16 (1855 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure it will, to a certain extent [In reply to] Can't Post

Since we're talking about the trailer (I assume you're referring to this one, unless there's been a new one that I missed), I'll be honest and say that I was a little annoyed that they only showed footage from the new action sequences. I understand why they did that, (making it all look exciting) but I was hoping for a glimpse of some of the other non-actiony stuff, like the funeral. I really want that funeral, darn it. And the other story-related things that need wrapping up, too, like the Thranduil's necklace story line, etc., etc.

*goes full Gollum* I wants those scenes, I NEEDS those scenes! My preciousss! *rubs hands greedily, cackling like a crazy person*

*cough* Anyway...

Yes, I think this new version of the movie will feel different from theatrical. The EEs always do. Though I wish we had gotten 30+ extra minutes of footage, 20 minutes is still a good chunk of time in movie terms. I've never been truly disappointed by the EE of and ME movie before, and I desperately hope that BotFA EE doesn't disappoint me either.

Tthe script is well written wether you like the changes or not, AUJ becomes solid in the EE Dos a lot more as a stand alone film but the theatrical cut of BOTFA is a rush and makes no sense to be like that

Yeah, while I saw BOTFA twice in theaters and thoroghly enjoyed it both times, there are a lot of "fridge logic moments" or gaps in the story that you don't realize are gaps until later when you're thinking about it and going, "Wait, what happened to that thing/character/plot point? They never wrapped it up!" So, I really hope this EE fills in those gaps.

Honestly, though, I don't think the amount of changes necessarily have anything to do with them putting BOTFA EE in theaters. I think that has more to do with the fact that this is the last ME movie for the foreseeable future and there was apparently a big push on social media for them to put the EE in theaters and they actually listened for once. Besides, I don't mean to sound cynical by saying this, but putting the EE in theaters for such a limited time is also a great way for them to squeeze a little extra money out of the fans' pockets.

Lord I give you everything, Anything you want from me
Take my past and my future I lay it at your feet
Yeah, I'm after your heart, you've stolen mine
I give you my all 'cause you gave up your life
I'm not who I was simply because, Oh, you set me free

And you change me from what I used to be
Opened my eyes, now I can see
You're making this life so beautiful
So beautiful

~"Beautiful" by Dan Bremnes

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 29 2015, 6:17pm

Post #4 of 16 (1790 views)
Shortcut
IMO profit is perfectly OK! [In reply to] Can't Post

And why notSmile? Around my urban area there are always film festivals, viewings of remastered films - sometimes it's just nice to see a classic in theaters, the way a film was meant to be seen.Heart

My only quibble is that by spreading the films over three nights (for me, anyway) that it feels like less of an event "one last time". And frankly for me re timing, more of a pain to deal withFrown - that it's easier to set aside a single day in one big block, than go to the movies 3 nights in a row.

So I won't - *sigh*. An EE marathon would have been nice - I think the marathons have been really well handled, and the audiences have been great - quite happy to be in a theater with other Hobbit and ME fans for 9 hours, so IMO 1-2 hours more wouldn't bother anyone!Tongue

Although BTW, I know there are folks without this opportunity at allFrown, and I do think that is just wrong - and seeing as it is early, I hope for better, round the world. Bilbo & co. belong to everyone.Heart

PS. EL has said, in the past, that this film was not just battle after battle. I am reasonably confident that some good character stuff is being hidden - although, I wonder - why bother? I would have thought you hide stuff because that way you can make a killing (no pun intended) on the folks who download, because they will be the first - but in this case, within minutes of the EE viewing (and probably during it even) everyone is going to know the details anyway.

But maybe there will be another trailer, or clip?Unsure

Dipling
Lorien

Aug 29 2015, 6:24pm

Post #5 of 16 (1773 views)
Shortcut
Could be... [In reply to] Can't Post

Even new added action scenes could give the TE action more room to breathe, nicer flow of events.

Everything else (not action) could take (or will take) the movie to a new level.

(This post was edited by Dipling on Aug 29 2015, 6:25pm)

CathrineB
Rohan

Aug 29 2015, 6:28pm

Post #6 of 16 (1761 views)
Shortcut
That is... [In reply to] Can't Post

That is what many including myself are hoping for. I don't think it's an awful movie throughout, but a good movie that got really ruined the further in we got. But what it needs is not more action scenes and Kung fu Legolas, but character moments especially for the dwarves.

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 29 2015, 6:32pm

Post #7 of 16 (1755 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

If what we see will be reworked scenes similar to DOS, + extra footage.

Tho I do "fear" what other posters have mentioned, that what we see is really what should have been the TE in the beginning - and

LOL so begins the long, possibly faint hope for the mega-utlra-unrated recuts of all 3 filmsTongueTongueTongueTongueTongue

Although I don't want to be all negative hereCrazy, because, for me it's always tough - on the one hand wanting more, and missing what I read was actually filmed - and on the other hand - well, I was going through the screencap site yesterday and IMO across all 3 films - if you are looking as still images - those moments in time to me are staggering in their richness and scope and use of color and details.HeartHeartHeart

Dormouse has mentioned something like this and we have all seen the films, but it just struck me yesterday looking at still images. When I really thought about it, it was overwhelming and the stills - like those iconic stills of LOTR - really brought that home to me.

And of course made me want to re-watch the films, so I will.TongueCool

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 29 2015, 7:10pm

Post #8 of 16 (1723 views)
Shortcut
At least some of this... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If what we see will be reworked scenes similar to DOS, + extra footage.

Tho I do "fear" what other posters have mentioned, that what we see is really what should have been the TE in the beginning...

I'm sure that some of the new footage will be exactly that, but not all of it. I don't think that more than two or three of the more obvious ommissions were essential to good story-telling. And those should largely be covered by Thorin's funeral. I'm thinking primarily of the disposition of the Arkenstone (and also Orcrist) and including at least one scene with Dain as King under the Mountain.

Going beyond that, there is settling the matter of Thranduil and the Gems of Lasgalen and some formal acknowledgement of the re-established friendships between the Men, Elves and Dwarves of Rhovanion. That last could still involve the funeral scene.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

NManfredi
Rivendell

Aug 29 2015, 7:36pm

Post #9 of 16 (1668 views)
Shortcut
My thoughts exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

A lot of impact could be made just by addressing this issues and tiding the loose ends. Plus, funerals are always moving, and Thorin's funeral should be no different. If executed properly alongside Dain's coronation, it could give that mixture of loss and hope that Tolkien always wanted to convey in his books.

"Is it not a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt for so small a thing? So small a thing! And I have seen it only for an instant in the house of Elrond! Could I not have a sight of it again?"

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Aug 29 2015, 7:52pm

Post #10 of 16 (1649 views)
Shortcut
Hi Avandel :) [In reply to] Can't Post

And why notSmile? Around my urban area there are always film festivals, viewings of remastered films - sometimes it's just nice to see a classic in theaters, the way a film was meant to be seen.Heart

Oh, I agree. Like I said, I didn't mean to sound cynical by mentioning the profits. (I probably could have phrased that better, actually. It sort of sounds like I am being cynical.Unimpressed) I'm perfectly fine with making a profit. The movie industry has to in order to keep making quality movies and I think it's great that they actually listened to the fans for once and are letting people see BotFA the way it was meant to be, in theaters one last time.

At least...they're letting us fans here in the U.S. see it. They really should let every one else see it too, so it's fair, IMO. Like you said, Bilbo and Co. belong to everyone! *frowns disapprovingly in Warner Bros. general direction for not letting everyone see the EE*

My only quibble is that by spreading the films over three nights (for me, anyway) that it feels like less of an event "one last time". And frankly for me re timing, more of a pain to deal withFrown - that it's easier to set aside a single day in one big block, than go to the movies 3 nights in a row.

So I won't - *sigh*. An EE marathon would have been nice - I think the marathons have been really well handled, and the audiences have been great - quite happy to be in a theater with other Hobbit and ME fans for 9 hours, so IMO 1-2 hours more wouldn't bother anyone!Tongue

Yeah, same here. I don't have the money to go see the EEs, much as I'd like to.Frown Actually, if I were to be able to go see the EEs, having them spread over three nights instead of all at once would work better for me than having to watch them all in one day. For one thing, I think my posterior would go numb sitting for so long.Tongue For another, as an official knitting/crochet addict, my hands get fidgety if I just sit staring at a screen for longer than one movie, even with the ME movies. And finally, given how they usually schedule the marathons, the BotFA EE would probably get shown late in the evening when I'd be starting to get tired and therefore cranky and I'd just prefer to watch it when I can really enjoy it and not be tired and cranky.Smile

PS. EL has said, in the past, that this film was not just battle after battle. I am reasonably confident that some good character stuff is being hidden - although, I wonder - why bother? I would have thought you hide stuff because that way you can make a killing (no pun intended) on the folks who download, because they will be the first - but in this case, within minutes of the EE viewing (and probably during it even) everyone is going to know the details anyway.

But maybe there will be another trailer, or clip?Unsure

Another trailer or clip would be awesome! Somehow, I doubt they'll put one out, though.Frown Like you said, people will "spill the beans" on the extra stuff as soon as they see it in theaters, so I doubt they'll want to "waste" time and money putting something else together. Maybe that's actually part of the reason they're doing things like this? They want people to use word-of-mouth to up the hype over the EE so everyone will be like, "We have to get the DVD/download so we can see it too!" *shrug* Not too bad of a marketing strategy, when you think about it.

Additionally, hiding the good character stuff probably has to do with getting people to actually go to the theater. They know people want the character moments more than the action stuff, so they don't want to spoil it and risk people deciding that, since they know the character stuff IS actually there, they can wait for the home release instead of spending extra money going to the theater. It's a theory, anyway.Smile

Seriously, though, there better be good character moments in there, or I'm going to be one annoyed fangirl!Pirate

So beautiful

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 29 2015, 10:17pm

Post #11 of 16 (1535 views)
Shortcut
*Waves happily at Eruvandi* (: [In reply to] Can't Post

You changed your avatar! so cuteSmileSmileSmile, and of course I grabbed the other original image months back *cough* with quite a number of othersCool - some day I really have to organize all those folders...Crazy

And have you seen this?

http://www.thelandofshadow.com/...y-jerry-vanderstelt/

Utterly gorgeous IMO - the larger version and the tones in her hair...simple, effective...now where is my Thorin from JV?

OhTongueCool:

(And of course JV's wonderful DOS montageHeartHeartHeart - but too much is not enough...)

THIS!!!!!!Heart

The movie industry has to in order to keep making quality movies and I think it's great that they actually listened to the fans for once and are letting people see BotFA the way it was meant to be, in theaters one last time.

Anyway, no - I didn't think you sound cynical - it's just obviously I love imagery - and have Hobbit stuff on the walls, and around in general like the Erebor paperweight - I guess I am personally cynical (sounding like a broken record LOLBlush) that WB seems to have cut corners re the PR and so on....Unsure

Then again, they DID fund these films, and the third film, and as far as I can tell, they seemed to have happily given PJ a fair amount of freedom - I know that has been discussed on the board but with movie studios being so cautious these days, not wanting a "bomb" on their hands like After Earth - WB didn't HAVE to do a lot of things.

*Grins*:

For one thing, I think my posterior would go numb sitting for so long.

LOL - well, there is that...tho they give breaks, it's not like being able to SPRAWL in the comfort of your own homeHeart - tho there are those fancy theaters now. The only time I tried one tho, with reserved seating, the chair didn't reclineMad, and the hype about the theater was actually better than the theater! So I was right back to my beloved IMAX.

For another, as an official knitting/crochet addict, my hands get fidgety if I just sit staring at a screen for longer than one movie, even with the ME movies.

Uh-oh...the wool roving I bought way back for my Radagast-inspired throw still sits...I was grousing last year about how I wished I had finished that for winter *sigh*Blush. I NEED it for my own personal Hobbit-fests. Not that I don't have throws and such, but it's not the same (as what I visualize in my head, anyway - a glorious throw of woodsy colors, with unevenly bulky areas - perhaps, if I ever get to it...)

No, my hands don't get restless - too busy fanning the air LOL at the amount of SERIOUS eye candy *ahem*Cool and/or drooling over various and sundry details - the texture of Erebor's stone, the way Smaug's eyes glow w. emotion, Hilda's beaded hat, the close-ups of the mithril shirt, Thranduil's magnificently rendered elk, the way Thorin's mantle fluidly swirls around him as he comes up the stairs, that shot of Thranduil and Bard as they arrive at Erebor, the broken fountains of Dale - IMO BOFA among many things is a crafty person/artisan's dream!

Seriously, though, there better be good character moments in there, or I'm going to be one annoyed fangirl!Pirate

*Ponders* - I am cautiously optimistic - I don't think for right now it will ever be enough - but, you know, even tho I complain about BOFA's pace it seems to me that PJ in fact DID give good care to some very nice moments - Bard and Bain (and even Smaug, really), Kili and Tauriel with Legolas there at the lake, Thorin and Bilbo, Balin and Bilbo, Gandalf and Bilbo ("I'm not asking you to allow it Gandalf"), Bard and Thorin, Thranduil in Dale - come to think of it, quite a lot of nice moments...(which I think Dormouse has been trying to point out. UmAngelic). I should know, I use my Replay and Pause buttons often enough - to get the details of the dwarven bell, and so onHeart

This will be interesting to see, for sure. *Sigh* and the questions - do I go to the viewing if able, do I download because I have LOL dragon-sickness, do I wait...for sure I don't want to do a self-embargo again!Frown

PS. - A thought - I wonder if we will see Smaug destroy the windlance????

PS2. Hope the spiders are keeping their distance - now there's a thought for the EEEvil - as Fili and Kili search Ravenhill they disturb a rare spawn of Ungoliant who ate all the orcs, and then they are rescued by Legolas although the bat gets overweighted and they all end up in the river and have to be fished out (except for Legolas who thinks this is hilarious) - meanwhile this rare ice spider eats Azog because he's the biggest "fat and juicy" and Bolg makes the mistake of trying to to protect his father, and he dies even tho Tauriel tries to save him.

And so, Thorin is crowned King of Erebor but decides he has had it and heads back west for some R & R at the Shire, but not before Bilbo diplomatically settles the matter of the treasure and Thranduil even hosts Dain's coronation party at Mirkwood. No-one can think what to say, exactly, about Tauriel and Kili but in years to come, stories are whispered about a dwarf of the North whose archery skills were said to be akin to the elvish warriors of old.

The ice spider would have had some fearful descendants that terrorized a certain TORn member in years to come, except it was poisoned from eating Azog and fell off a cliff.Cool

Gandalf the Green
Rivendell

Aug 30 2015, 10:44am

Post #12 of 16 (1327 views)
Shortcut
maybe if they... [In reply to] Can't Post

...cut out some of the stupid nonsense
then yeah
maybe Crazy

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Aug 31 2015, 12:44am

Post #13 of 16 (1155 views)
Shortcut
Reply (I can't seem to think up any good subject lines today! *facepalm*) [In reply to] Can't Post

Re the new avatar: Thanks! I thought it might be nice to have a pic of Tauriel smiling for once and that lil' cutie patootie just seemed fit the bill perfectly. Smile

Yes, I've seen that painting. So pretty! JV is such an excellent artist, it practically looks like a photograph! And Thorin looks #majestic as always.Wink As far as organizing computer folders bursting with ME art/movie pics goes...I gave up on organization several hundred pictures ago.Tongue Now I just stuff any pics I find while trawling for pretty! online in a folder labeled "LOTR/TH/other ME pics" and set my laptop wallpaper to slideshow through that one folder so that I get to see a new pic every hour for as long as I'm on the computer. To say the least, it now takes DAYS to get through all the pics at that rate, but it keeps me from getting bored with any one particular pic and I enjoy being able to look at them that way.

Anyway, no - I didn't think you sound cynical - it's just obviously I love imagery - and have Hobbit stuff on the walls, and around in general like the Erebor paperweight - I guess I am personally cynical (sounding like a broken record LOLBlush) that WB seems to have cut corners re the PR and so on....Unsure

Then again, they DID fund these films, and the third film, and as far as I can tell, they seemed to have happily given PJ a fair amount of freedom - I know that has been discussed on the board but with movie studios being so cautious these days, not wanting a "bomb" on their hands like After Earth - WB didn't HAVE to do a lot of things.

True. Very true.

LOL - well, there is that...tho they give breaks, it's not like being able to SPRAWL in the comfort of your own homeHeart - tho there are those fancy theaters now. The only time I tried one tho, with reserved seating, the chair didn't reclineMad, and the hype about the theater was actually better than the theater! So I was right back to my beloved IMAX.

Hmm, I don't think we have any "fancy" theaters around here, unless Regal Cinemas count, and they only recently (in the past couple years or so) got IMAX theaters installed. I would like IMAX better if so many of these movies wouldn't insist that it has to be IMAX AND 3D. I know IMAX helps enhance the 3D effect a lot, but what's wrong with playing movies in 2D in there too? I have to wear prescription glasses and when I went to see DOS in 3D (the only movie I've seen in 3D since the Spy Kids 3D movie came out), admittedly the plastic digital 3D glasses fit better over my normal glasses than those annoying little paper red and blue lens things, but they were still not great and I had to keep my head tilted slightly to the right through the whole movie to deal with this blurry double image I was seeing off to the side of the real image. My poor neck.Mad It also strained my eyes pretty badly. I just don't understand why they can't just let us see the movie on the cool gigantic IMAX screen with the cool Dolby Digital surround-sound, but not make us glasses-wearers strain our eyes and get cricks in our necks? WHYYYY?

*ahem*

Uh-oh...the wool roving I bought way back for my Radagast-inspired throw still sits...I was grousing last year about how I wished I had finished that for winter *sigh*Blush. I NEED it for my own personal Hobbit-fests. Not that I don't have throws and such, but it's not the same (as what I visualize in my head, anyway - a glorious throw of woodsy colors, with unevenly bulky areas - perhaps, if I ever get to it...)

Oh, that sounds like it will be lovely and super-duper warm!Smile

Not too long ago, I got the idea in my head that I wanted to knit a throw with the white tree of Gondor on it. You can buy throws with the white tree, yes, but like you said, it's just not quite the same as doing it yourself. Not sure when I'll get around to doing that, though. It'll take quite a bit of yarn and effort!

No, my hands don't get restless - too busy fanning the air LOL at the amount of SERIOUS eye candy *ahem*Cool and/or drooling over various and sundry details - the texture of Erebor's stone, the way Smaug's eyes glow w. emotion, Hilda's beaded hat, the close-ups of the mithril shirt, Thranduil's magnificently rendered elk, the way Thorin's mantle fluidly swirls around him as he comes up the stairs, that shot of Thranduil and Bard as they arrive at Erebor, the broken fountains of Dale - IMO BOFA among many things is a crafty person/artisan's dream!

Yep, yep, yep! Definitely! So much crafty goodness!

*Ponders* - I am cautiously optimistic - I don't think for right now it will ever be enough - but, you know, even tho I complain about BOFA's pace it seems to me that PJ in fact DID give good care to some very nice moments - Bard and Bain (and even Smaug, really), Kili and Tauriel with Legolas there at the lake, Thorin and Bilbo, Balin and Bilbo, Gandalf and Bilbo ("I'm not asking you to allow it Gandalf"), Bard and Thorin, Thranduil in Dale - come to think of it, quite a lot of nice moments...(which I think Dormouse has been trying to point out. UmAngelic). I should know, I use my Replay and Pause buttons often enough - to get the details of the dwarven bell, and so onHeart

This will be interesting to see, for sure. *Sigh* and the questions - do I go to the viewing if able, do I download because I have LOL dragon-sickness, do I wait...for sure I don't want to do a self-embargo again!Frown

PS. - A thought - I wonder if we will see Smaug destroy the windlance????

I definitely agree that the theatrical edition had plenty of good character moments to begin with. In fact, I quite enjoy the theatrical the way it is. It's more the character moments that will have to be added in order to tie up those loose ends (what happened to Thranduil's necklace, dwarven funeral, coronations of various kings, where did Tauriel go after crying over Kili, etc) that I worry about. I just don't want those character moments to be shortened or not included at all for the sake of more action-y sequences. Although...and I may have said this already...in all reality, the action bits don't last as long as they seem to. Still...it's something I worry about.

Re viewing the EE: Like I said, I won't be seeing it in theaters and I am technologically stubborn and refuse to switch to downloading movies until they force me by not making DVDs anymore. BUT even though I'm waiting for the DVD, I'm not even going to bother avoiding spoilers, at least not those in written form here on TORn. I won't watch video clips until I've seen the EE myself, but I'm curious enough about this thing I don't think I can stand avoiding spoilers for a whole month.

Re seeing Smaug destroy windlance: I think they could probably get away with not showing it getting destroyed...I completely didn't realize that they hadn't shown until LONG after I first saw BotFA in theaters the first time...but I think they SHOULD show it for the sake of consistency. (If you introduce the windlance and say it's the only way to kill dragon, you really need to show us why it was then not used to kill dragon! C'mon, movie people! This is How to Tell a Story 101! *sigh*) So...here's hoping.

Btw, I really wish someone would do a Mythbusters sort of thing and see if it's actually possible to string a bowstring between two posts and shoot an arrow over someone's shoulder like that...WITHOUT ripping that someone's face/shoulder off. It's just something I've been curious about.

PS2. Hope the spiders are keeping their distance - now there's a thought for the EEEvil - as Fili and Kili search Ravenhill they disturb a rare spawn of Ungoliant who ate all the orcs, and then they are rescued by Legolas although the bat gets overweighted and they all end up in the river and have to be fished out (except for Legolas who thinks this is hilarious) - meanwhile this rare ice spider eats Azog because he's the biggest "fat and juicy" and Bolg makes the mistake of trying to to protect his father, and he dies even tho Tauriel tries to save him.

And so, Thorin is crowned King of Erebor but decides he has had it and heads back west for some R & R at the Shire, but not before Bilbo diplomatically settles the matter of the treasure and Thranduil even hosts Dain's coronation party at Mirkwood. No-one can think what to say, exactly, about Tauriel and Kili but in years to come, stories are whispered about a dwarf of the North whose archery skills were said to be akin to the elvish warriors of old.

The ice spider would have had some fearful descendants that terrorized a certain TORn member in years to come, except it was poisoned from eating Azog and fell off a cliff.Cool

LOL! But also...No more spiders! Nooooo! *unsheathes imaginary Sting* This arachnophobic Ringer cannot and will not abide any added spiders in the EE! It was bad enough that I had to sit through them in DOS! I'll fend them off myself if I have to!Tongue (preferably with my adorable/hunky Leggy fighting by my sideWink)

So beautiful

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 31 2015, 6:58am

Post #14 of 16 (1104 views)
Shortcut
Agree about the 3d!...And.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Not being a "techie" - but I found out that it's not just whether it's an IMAX or a "mini-IMAX" but whether they also have a decent sound system - that's why I love this one theater, the sound is great too. I never noticed until I went to an IMAX where the sound was just flat.

But I have to say it's the Hobbit films that got me doing just a BIT more tech stuff. Tho even with TORn members helping me, my one and only attempt at downloading didn't go to well - at least Apple was great and refunded me no problem, but I am back to disks, for sure.

Re the 3-d , I am always so glad to pull those glasses off - they never fit! I don't have 3D at home - but seems to me that BR is so sharp and clear, I am not feeling like I am missing anything. Plus, I can SPRAWL in comfort.

At the moment, I haven't decided whether to try to go to the EE or not. I keep changing my mind, and big screen or not, there's something to be said for being able to replay as you like - most recently the chariot scene and the whirly things are candidates!

Doing a throw with the white tree sounds lovely - "seven stars and seven stones and one white tree..." - Well, perhaps we will both be busy this winter - I think hand work is so soothing, and I love the colored yarns slipping through my hands. Were you thinking of using a specialty yarn? Some gorgeous stuff out there, but so expensive for anything more than a scarf.Frown

Argh, I had to organize some pictures- I am trying to print some out just to have, and there are things on the Heirs of Durin site I want to save - BTW if you haven't been there - you probably have but the Hobbit posters and such are there, and it seems that this is the last year for the site - so I am trying to save off things from there.Frown

Well, back on-topicCool
I think someone made a good point about films making an emphasis about the windlance and as we know, that went missing in the BOFA TE, so there's a hole IMO right there. Although, I admit, I also loved the concept on the Comic Con poster - Bard, standing alone, the great Smaug clawing his way towards him - I love that image tho perhaps wisely the filmmakers didn't go that way - too much like Thorin in the forges baiting Smaug. (Which I also love tho I ended up re-watching BOFA last nightTongue)

I think I've read posts or articles where it's insisted that the black arrow would have taken Bain' s face off, but I don't care, love the whole Laketown sequence.Heart And no-one IMO does fire like WETA, or a dragon!Heart

Where did Tauriel go? I am convinced she goes back to Mirkwood with Thranduil, plus, I will assume she understands the gems (by then) belonged to Thranduil's wife- so I think there would be a more understanding dynamic going on. The only other thing, maybe, would be perhaps to stay at Dale for a while, to help, and to regroup, really. Not that Dain wouldn't welcome her, but an elf I think would want to be outside more, walk under the stars, think on Kili and all that happened.

But even then, I think Thranduil will tell her that she has a home waiting for her - e.g. I think the book Thranduil is quite complex, so they may try to link back to that material? A scene between Dain and Thranduil will be interestingCool

Tho it's one thing for me to speculate - but we want to see!

*Grins* Oh, Legolas WILL back you against any critter - after all, he saves "my guy" in BOFA in one of my favorite sequences, which IMO manages to be exciting and funny and beautiful and completely epic all at once - another scene that gets the replay treatment - just genius IMO!

I actually replayed that a lot, as Thorin does give a quick glance down from the cliff, but while it's not the kind of thing a film would spell out in the middle of a desperate fight, I idly speculate as to whether at that moment Thorin recognized Legolas - I suppose it doesn't matter as I am sure he knew immediately after, holding Orcrist - but anyway that whole dynamic was just so well handled in the film IMO.HeartHeartHeart

Eruonen
Half-elven

Aug 31 2015, 4:00pm

Post #15 of 16 (1031 views)
Shortcut
I hope so, as repeated viewings have led to a decline in enthusiasm. [In reply to] Can't Post

Last night I caught a showing on tv and the battle is just coming off as a terribly disjointed affair. So many plot holes....just how do the few men with Bard and even Thranduil's forces turn back the hordes of orcs and trolls in Dale? I think Bard says twice...."Any man who is willing to give his life...." The dwarves are massively outnumbered and yet somehow we are to believe they prevail. The dumb comment that Dwalin and Thorin make about only 100 goblin mercenaries....
The Eagles plowing through the orcs without any injury....Beorn air dropping into the fray....the rams going up Ravenhill look like bad cgi, Legolas being turned into a game character etc etc etc. As much as I initially liked the film, its flaws are standing out more and more.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Sep 1 2015, 5:44pm

Post #16 of 16 (906 views)
Shortcut
Whirly things [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, being able to pause and replay is great! I pause more when I watch the movies/trailers/clips on my laptop more than when I watch them on the TV, mostly because if I'm watching on the TV someone else is usually watching with me and might get annoyed by constant pausingTongue, but it is fun to be able to stop and look at all the details you might miss otherwise. Speaking of those whirly things you mentioned, I just watched the trailer again and I *think* that's the dwarf army running on the ground below the whirly things, so maybe the whirly things are something the dwarves shot with those...shooty things? (I'm completely blanking on what they're called!)...that we saw briefly in one of the theatrical trailers, and they're shooting them specifically as a defense against the elven arrows? Maybe?

Also, when I re-watched the trailer just now, I noticed something I hadn't noticed before. Right at about 1:20 or so, as it's showing clips from the BotFA EE, it almost looks like there's some kind of flashback to the day Smaug attacked! You can see the flames breaking the door to Erebor down and the armed dwarves on the ground, but it look different from how it looked in AUJ because because the lighting is a bit different, I think. But why would there be a flashback to that? Could it be Thorin remembering something about that day that we didn't know about before, or what? Gah!!! The EE can't get here soon enough! I needs to know what's going on!Crazy

Anyway...

No, I don't plan to use specialty yarn for the tree of Gondor throw. It would be one thing if I was going to sell the throw. At least then I'd feel like I could excuse spending that much money, because it would make it fancier and I could charge more for it and make the money back. But since I plan to keep it for myself, specialty yarn is just so expensive, I don't think I could afford enough of it to make a whole throw without completely breaking the bank.Frown So, normal, un-fancy, un-expensive yarn it is.

Aw, I didn't realize this was the last year for Heirs of Durin.Frown The last time I remember checking the site before now was when the last BotFA theatrical trailer came out. I sort of forgot about it after that, so I hadn't seen the post that announced that the site was going down. It's sad, but I know keeping up a site must be time-consuming and probably costly, so I understand why they wouldn't want to keep it going now that the movies are done. It was a great site while it lasted, though.

Yeah, whether or not the black arrow would have taken Bain's face off or not, that is a great scene! I remember watching it with my mouth hanging open when I saw it in theaters!Heart

I agree that Tauriel will probably go back to Mirkwood with Thranduil. Even though he banished her earlier in the movie, it seem like, after that last scene with them together, that they had reached a place of understanding each other and I think he'll forgive her and take her back if she wants to go back.

A scene between Dain and Thranduil will be interestingCool

Tho it's one thing for me to speculate - but we want to see!

*Grins* Oh, Legolas WILL back you against any critter - after all, he saves "my guy" in BOFA in one of my favorite sequences, which IMO manages to be exciting and funny and beautiful and completely epic all at once - another scene that gets the replay treatment - just genius IMO!

I actually replayed that a lot, as Thorin does give a quick glance down from the cliff, but while it's not the kind of thing a film would spell out in the middle of a desperate fight, I idly speculate as to whether at that moment Thorin recognized Legolas - I suppose it doesn't matter as I am sure he knew immediately after, holding Orcrist - but anyway that whole dynamic was just so well handled in the film IMO.HeartHeartHeart

Agreed! CoolHeart

So beautiful

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.