The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
EE theater release before BR/DVD release

lionoferebor
Rohan

Aug 29 2015, 3:11pm

Post #1 of 6 (1318 views)
Shortcut
EE theater release before BR/DVD release Can't Post

While all the LOTR EE's have been in the theaters at some point in the past and the AUJ and DOS EE's this October, all were initially released on BR/DVD. The BOFTA EE is first to be released in theaters prior to the BR/DVD release. Does anyone know - or have any thoughts on - who decided BOFTA EE would be released in theaters prior to the BR/DVD release? Was it WB, PJ, or collaborative decision between the two?

NManfredi
Rivendell

Aug 29 2015, 5:19pm

Post #2 of 6 (1196 views)
Shortcut
I don't know [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't know about who made the decision. But to me it seems quite a risky one. I don't think they would have risked to do that by knowing that it can backlash them. That's why my hopes are up with the EE.

"Is it not a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt for so small a thing? So small a thing! And I have seen it only for an instant in the house of Elrond! Could I not have a sight of it again?"

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Aug 29 2015, 5:34pm

Post #3 of 6 (1167 views)
Shortcut
Action [In reply to] Can't Post

I think at least one of the factors is that this one will have more action added than the other two.

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Aug 29 2015, 6:09pm

Post #4 of 6 (1145 views)
Shortcut
Probably cause it's the last one [In reply to] Can't Post

So both to mark the special occasion and because they don't need to stage home video releases and theatrical revivals in a certain order to build hype for a subsequent installment.

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

(This post was edited by Eldorion on Aug 29 2015, 6:09pm)

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 29 2015, 6:51pm

Post #5 of 6 (1112 views)
Shortcut
Real confidence on PJ's part? [In reply to] Can't Post

It IS a risk IMO - unless you are very sure you are releasing the film that is the way you wanted it to be.

I mean, at the end, that it doesn't necessarily mean that PJ fell over himself re fan complaints or anything. But like any project, and this time there wasn't the same kind of pressure over a TE release, I imagine you could step back and breathe and take a look at what you had done, and fix or include what you really wanted to to, without the ratings fuss of the TE version.

So re the flow of the film, and dwarf and Beorn moments, I think there is reason to feel good, possibly. IMO re pacing and sheer beauty and drama or quiet scenes - and IMO those are already in BOFA - I think PJ can be an utter master, many, many times.Heart

Personally I am very cautiously optimistic at least for some things - better flow of the battle and framing, for instance. And re Alfrid - who again, I actually really love - stuff like that - I still hope that PJ, sitting in a theater like the rest of us - saw what a lot of us did - these skewed imbalances of film time that were so inexplicableCrazy and just IMO were not working well. At times for me it's no different than if 10 minutes had been spend on PJ's pugs (and I love animals) for no particular reasonCrazy - so I am hoping after the exhaustion of the race to finish re the TE and dealing with the cuts re the rating and so onFrown, PJ was able to step back and make the film into more of what he envisioned.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 29 2015, 7:13pm

Post #6 of 6 (1092 views)
Shortcut
Mostly Warners, I expect. [In reply to] Can't Post

The final decision would have had to rest with Warner Bros., who are the actual distributers of the films, and with Fathom Events which is presenting the showings.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.