Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Warner Bros cut 10 minutes off of the BOTFA Extended Edition...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Gandalf the Green
Rivendell

Aug 29 2015, 1:55pm

Post #1 of 36 (3710 views)
Shortcut
Warner Bros cut 10 minutes off of the BOTFA Extended Edition... Can't Post

...making it 20 minutes instead of 30, without Peter Jackson's consent.
What do you guys think of this, and what do you think has been cut out?

Olorin2607
Lorien

Aug 29 2015, 1:58pm

Post #2 of 36 (3589 views)
Shortcut
Where [In reply to] Can't Post

do you take this odd statement from? Source?

I don't think WB force PJ to anything concerning the EE. It seems like a very deliberate decision.

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Aug 29 2015, 2:00pm

Post #3 of 36 (3589 views)
Shortcut
Is it true? [In reply to] Can't Post

or are you just assuming it? I mean, chances are that things went like that, but have you read something reliable about it?

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 29 2015, 2:23pm

Post #4 of 36 (3552 views)
Shortcut
Why would they do that? [In reply to] Can't Post

They let him have an R rating despite it narrowing the potential audience, I don't see why they would cut minutes off of an EE, knowing that many fans think longer means better. I'm sure WB was happy for PJ to make the EE as long as he wanted. The shorter time is just a result of PJ trying to make a watchable and well paced version of the movie and nothing else.

It seems to me that whenever fans are unhappy with something they immediately assume it's WB's fault and not PJ's.

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Aug 29 2015, 2:25pm)

Shagrat
Gondor

Aug 29 2015, 2:39pm

Post #5 of 36 (3509 views)
Shortcut
Why? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not saying they did, but I'm sure budgetary concerns must come into play, especially with so much new battle footage added. We should not forget, for example, that there have been no separate spring recording sessions for the Hobbit EE's in the same way there were for the LOTR EE's - all music would have to have been recorded in the main block (with one exception for the BOTFA's EE according to Doug Adams - a piece was composed and recorded earlier this year). I think, when asked in relation to AUJ, Doug said something about it not being worth it to compose about 5 minutes worth of new music, since it would cost over a million dollars at least. I suppose I can understand this, but why not do it for the more substantial additions for DoS and BOTFA? The problem with composing all the music in that one block is that PJ might decide to edit scenes differently, or restore scenes which - perhaps - may not have been scored originally. With LOTR, the beauty of it was that if a scene was extended in the EE, you knew Shore would have the change to re-work the music for that scene to fit the new version of the picture.

This doesn't prove the OP's point, and I don't really agree, but I wouldn't be surprised if Warner were trying to keep costs down for the EE's, having spent a great deal already.

balbo biggins
Rohan

Aug 29 2015, 2:48pm

Post #6 of 36 (3481 views)
Shortcut
tut tut [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...making it 20 minutes instead of 30, without Peter Jackson's consent.
What do you guys think of this, and what do you think has been cut out?

there really is no point discussing this without a source.

did you know there remaking lotr?

lionoferebor
Rohan

Aug 29 2015, 2:55pm

Post #7 of 36 (3466 views)
Shortcut
Is there a source? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't feel it is fair to assume WB cut 10 minutes off...especially without PJ's consent. At the same time I also don't feel it's fair to say PJ cut 10 minutes off. The truth is no one but PJ and WB knows why there is only 20 minutes off additional footage rather than the 30 minutes hoped for. And unless one of them comes out about it, everything else is hear say.

(This post was edited by lionoferebor on Aug 29 2015, 2:58pm)

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Aug 29 2015, 3:19pm

Post #8 of 36 (3426 views)
Shortcut
What...? [In reply to] Can't Post

If you're going to be this late to the party, at least provide a source...

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 29 2015, 3:50pm

Post #9 of 36 (3380 views)
Shortcut
Evidence? [In reply to] Can't Post

If you have none there's no point asking the question.

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Aug 29 2015, 5:48pm

Post #10 of 36 (3203 views)
Shortcut
I imagine the only reason the EE might be shorter than it might have been - [In reply to] Can't Post

- is if there are plans for 'Super-Extended-Editions' at a later date. If something like that is going on, and I was in PJ's place, I probably wouldn't want to talk about it to a fanbase that's been waiting nearly a year for a 40-minute+ EE..

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -
'The War in the North, Part I : The Sword in the Tomb'.

(This post was edited by Hanzkaz on Aug 29 2015, 5:49pm)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Aug 29 2015, 5:54pm

Post #11 of 36 (3186 views)
Shortcut
Wondered about that myself [In reply to] Can't Post

is if there are plans for 'Super-Extended-Editions' at a later date. If something like that is going on, and I was in PJ's place, I probably wouldn't want to talk about it to a fanbase that's been waiting nearly a year for a 40-minute+ EE..

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they come up with some sort of "Super-Extended-Edition" LOTR/TH multipack in the future and they're holding back at least a little stuff specifically so they can do so.

Lord I give you everything, Anything you want from me
Take my past and my future I lay it at your feet
Yeah, I'm after your heart, you've stolen mine
I give you my all 'cause you gave up your life
I'm not who I was simply because, Oh, you set me free

And you change me from what I used to be
Opened my eyes, now I can see
You're making this life so beautiful
So beautiful

~"Beautiful" by Dan Bremnes

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 29 2015, 7:16pm

Post #12 of 36 (3091 views)
Shortcut
I doubt it. [In reply to] Can't Post

Unless Peter Jackson has clearly stated that this is the case then I believe you to be mistaken. His original estimate that there would be 30 minutes of new footage was just that--only a rough estimate--unless he tells a different story.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

DarkHunter
The Shire

Aug 29 2015, 9:03pm

Post #13 of 36 (2987 views)
Shortcut
Here is the likely Source [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
do you take this odd statement from? Source?

I don't think WB force PJ to anything concerning the EE. It seems like a very deliberate decision.

I think this is probably the source. I've just made my post about the changes made, rather than just the film time alterations.

https://www.fimfiction.net/blog/525960/countdown-to-bofta-how-warner-bros-destroyed-the-hobbit

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Aug 29 2015, 9:21pm

Post #14 of 36 (2953 views)
Shortcut
I don't know how legit that article is - [In reply to] Can't Post

- but it does seem to confirm quite a few things I've suspected for a while - and if the upcoming EE was 'completed' without Peter Jackson's approval, especially taking into account a number of WB's alleged 'improvements', I'd be a little worried.

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -

(This post was edited by Hanzkaz on Aug 29 2015, 9:22pm)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 29 2015, 9:27pm

Post #15 of 36 (2943 views)
Shortcut
Especially considering the trailer... [In reply to] Can't Post

and if the upcoming EE was 'completed' without Peter Jackson's approval, especially taking into account a number of WB's alleged 'improvements', I'd be a little worried.

Especially considering the trailer says "witness Peter Jackson's complete vision". That would be false advertising if this were true.

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Aug 29 2015, 9:47pm

Post #16 of 36 (2903 views)
Shortcut
Well, I'm glad New Line were the ones' making Lord of the Rings - [In reply to] Can't Post

- otherwise we might have got a Aragorn/Éowyn/Arwen very definitely non-Platonic love triangle.

But probably no-one would have noticed with the Frodo/Galadriel/Gimli thing going on.

(This post was edited by Hanzkaz on Aug 29 2015, 10:01pm)

TheHutt
Gondor

Aug 29 2015, 10:17pm

Post #17 of 36 (2881 views)
Shortcut
That's not even a speculation... [In reply to] Can't Post

That's plain accusation with no facts backing it.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

DjU
Lorien

Aug 29 2015, 10:47pm

Post #18 of 36 (2850 views)
Shortcut
Article?? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
- but it does seem to confirm quite a few things I've suspected for a while - and if the upcoming EE was 'completed' without Peter Jackson's approval, especially taking into account a number of WB's alleged 'improvements', I'd be a little worried.

Article!? What article? Its a blog by a 19 year old on a My Little Pony fan fiction site, actually even calling it a blog would be a stretch - ramblings is probably more accurate.

The fact that *anyone* is even taking any of it seriously is a bit scary.

(This post was edited by DjU on Aug 29 2015, 10:51pm)

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Aug 30 2015, 12:10am

Post #19 of 36 (2792 views)
Shortcut
Thank you. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know how this was ever even considered anything more than a long rant/speculation, no better than anything any of us have written here.

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Aug 30 2015, 12:14am

Post #20 of 36 (2788 views)
Shortcut
Agreed, and it bears repeating from the other thread... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that neither of the two links given as sources in that post (the vast majority of claims have no source given whatsoever) actually back up the claims being made.

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

Lindele
Gondor

Aug 30 2015, 3:53am

Post #21 of 36 (2712 views)
Shortcut
Why is everyone [In reply to] Can't Post

Responding to the OP as if this is a real, relevant topic? The OP included no sources yet made an insanely ridiculous claim...pretty obvious that the intention was to start trouble.

squiggle
Rivendell

Aug 30 2015, 10:10am

Post #22 of 36 (2596 views)
Shortcut
PJ & team know how to round out ee's & make them flow [In reply to] Can't Post

So it seems quite a stretch that they would be 10 minutes off the mark!!!! LOL Laugh

Gandalf the Green
Rivendell

Aug 30 2015, 10:30am

Post #23 of 36 (2580 views)
Shortcut
Insanely ridiculous is my specialty [In reply to] Can't Post

said Peter Jackson Crazy

Gandalf the Green
Rivendell

Aug 30 2015, 10:34am

Post #24 of 36 (2571 views)
Shortcut
FA [In reply to] Can't Post

False advertising is what it was when they said it would be the very final journey to Middle-Earth, even though we're still getting extended and super extended editions Crazy

Gandalf the Green
Rivendell

Aug 30 2015, 10:37am

Post #25 of 36 (2566 views)
Shortcut
no [In reply to] Can't Post

"What do you think of this"
I don't care who thinks it's real or not, just say what you think about all of this, people Crazy

Also, I've been throwing rotten tomatoes at PJ for many months now Crazy

(This post was edited by Gandalf the Green on Aug 30 2015, 10:43am)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.