The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
BOTFA trailer inspired by ROTK trailer

tiamy
Rivendell

Aug 29 2015, 2:48am

Post #1 of 10 (4139 views)
Shortcut
BOTFA trailer inspired by ROTK trailer Can't Post

I have always been curious how BOTFA would have turn out if it was marketed the same way as ROTK.

Back in 2003, ROTK's trailer was notable in a sense that it avoided showing a lot of action shots. It was focused on character drama. It didn't focus on money shots. The only shot of the mumakil is a foot and only a quarter of Shelob was seen. It totally helped the film by keeping these surprises.

Fast forward to 2014, BOTFA was marketed as the opposite. It was action-heavy. But at least they kept Dain and the Eagles secret.

So what I did is to re-cut a BOTFA trailer using the same philosophy as the ROTK trailer. I used the same piece of music and borrowed a couple of sound bytes and taglines from the ROTK trailer to create a character-driven trailer. Doing this made me realize how few are those character moments in the actual BOTFA film(!) because I have to get pieces of dialogue in those quiet moments and there aren't that many. I was tempted to use Gandalf's quote from AUJ ("Why the halfing?") the same way Gandalf's quote in FOTR was re-used in ROTK ("All you have to decide..) just because I can't find any in BOTFA.

So the trailer that I made is a combination of the BOTFA trailer and ROTK trailer. Some shots intentionally mirror the shots in ROTK. Hope you notice it hahah. My only sin was revealing the Eagles. I couldn't help it since the music naturally calls on it Wink

Here's the link to my edited trailer:
http://youtu.be/Bm8GCF1cqdk

Here's the original ROTK trailer (in case you might have forgotten):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7YllAOqpF4

NManfredi
Rivendell

Aug 29 2015, 2:58am

Post #2 of 10 (4101 views)
Shortcut
Great work! [In reply to] Can't Post

I applaud you!

Withywindle
Bree

Aug 29 2015, 4:04am

Post #3 of 10 (4047 views)
Shortcut
Good Work [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice job. I think, though, with the name the "Battle of the Five Armies", it does make sense to have a trailer with a lot of action. I do like the trailer you made though, but it would fit more, in my opinion, if the movie had a different title.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Aug 29 2015, 8:39am

Post #4 of 10 (3961 views)
Shortcut
GREAT! [In reply to] Can't Post

Works far better than the original but I wouldnt have include some to much spoilery shots like : Eagles, Bilbo Farewell Gandalf and the dwarves

But its a great work specially when Bilbo talks about dwarves being obstinate, brave and kind

GREAT GREAT JOB

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Aug 29 2015, 8:50am

Post #5 of 10 (3957 views)
Shortcut
Great trailer [In reply to] Can't Post

But the Gondor them feels out of place here.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 29 2015, 12:34pm

Post #6 of 10 (3900 views)
Shortcut
Nicely done. Here's a trailer I want to see... [In reply to] Can't Post

A trailer in the style of the LotR EE trailer: https://youtu.be/ddmcFDoCAq8

But using none of the audio from it. Instead of starting with "My precious" start with one of Smaug's lines, maybe "I am fire..." or "...step into the light" then cut to maybe the Ring or maybe the Arkenstone or something similarly significant. And just try to replicate the emotion and source of each shot, using Hobbit footage.

The Misty Mountains theme can be used in place of the Fellowship theme, and when the epic Requiem music comes in I imagine using either the DoS trailer music: https://youtu.be/5mxNlsvy6fw

Or the BoFA trailer music: https://youtu.be/M2ORBqnok4U

And then end, obviously with a similar voice-over and an image of the Hobbit Trilogy EE Blu-ray.

If someone can make that happen, I'd love to see it.

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Aug 29 2015, 12:40pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 29 2015, 1:18pm

Post #7 of 10 (3879 views)
Shortcut
I love it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Even the music! Well done!

And it re-affirms why I'm so happy that I've already got my Trilogy EE tickets in hand. Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Aug 29 2015, 1:53pm

Post #8 of 10 (3857 views)
Shortcut
Brilliant [In reply to] Can't Post

I really like it, it conveys a more intimate feeling... and it is rather dramatic at times.
Well done, indeed!

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Aug 29 2015, 3:27pm

Post #9 of 10 (3831 views)
Shortcut
Gondor theme [In reply to] Can't Post

It's just a trailer, so I think it still works. Now using a random theme from LotR in one of the Hobbit movies themselves...now that would be out of place.

Oh wait.Crazy

mirkwoodwanderer
Lorien

Aug 30 2015, 9:58pm

Post #10 of 10 (3707 views)
Shortcut
you made it [In reply to] Can't Post

you made it with love

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.