The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell - and Beyond!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Aug 28 2015, 4:25pm

Post #1 of 10 (1647 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell - and Beyond! Can't Post

We're walking... and biking, hiking, cleaning... and whatever other types of exercise come along! How's it going this week?

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 20
Cumulative miles: 700
Goal: Bag End to Rivendell

It's been an up-and-down week for me - and not just because I'm climbing the Misty Mountains with the Fellowship! Some days have been bursting with activity, others, I felt like a slug. But I managed to stay in the ballpark, mileage-wise, so I'm choosing to focus on improving this week. Wink

Happy traveling, everyone!

Arandiel

Resources
The Walk with the Fellowship Challenge
The Eowyn Challenge Useful links, including mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, are on the Tools page.
grammaboodawg's awesome site includes helpful activity conversion charts, mileages for Bilbo's Hobbitty journey home, and the Walk to Rivendell's TORn-up Postcards
Notta's Super-Duper Walking-Equivalents Chart
Eowyn Challenge Login Page is useful for keeping track of mileage, though be sure to keep a backup record, in case Warg attack, Wizard-induced blizzard, or other fell calamity causes the Shields page to crash.

The Eowyn Challenge/Walk to Rivendell - and Beyond! is a Middle-Earth-related fitness group that began in March 2003, and has been going on with walkers around the world ever since. TORn's Walk is open to all people and healthy types of activity.

Walk to Rivendell: Walk with the Fellowship Challenge - grab a buddy and let the magic live on, one step at a time.

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 28 2015, 4:57pm

Post #2 of 10 (1638 views)
Shortcut
*cleans pie plate* Hey There! [In reply to] Can't Post

Excuse me while I finish the last bites of some yummy coconut cream pie ;) *slaver slurp*

I had some awesome mileage this past week as I'm moving my daughter's storage items and furniture AGAIN! This time it's out of the house her ex (we're all friends) and she shared and he's now vacating. Cripes... there's stuff in that attic from when their boys (14 & 16) were babies! I'm not done yet, so there more to come.

The Fellowship and I are still on the River, though it's getting wider and we camped overnight near the Field of Celebrant. Very profound!

Thanks for keeping us on the Road, Arandiel... and I hope you have a wonderful weekend. *points at screen* That goes for everyone else out there, too!!! ;)

Miles covered: 43 miles 8/27
Cumulated miles: 1042
CHALLENGE: The Lord of the Rings Walk with the Fellowship Challenge!

sample

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Aug 28 2015, 5:15pm

Post #3 of 10 (1635 views)
Shortcut
First week [In reply to] Can't Post

So this was my first week as I my first day biking while tracking my mileage was last Saturday. I went out four days in the past week; on days when I had work I'd only be out for like an hour and on my days off I was out for considerably longer. I decided to try to work on my speed as well though. Unfortunately I'm still trying to adjust my sleep and eating habits to have enough rest and energy to do this consistently, day after day. I had wanted to go out this morning before work, but I stayed up too late last night and was tired and didn't get around to it. I don't think I'll have a chance to go tomorrow either since I have plans after work in the evening, though socializing is good too. Tongue This is still really new to me but hopefully I'll be able to keep up.

My progress (biking):
Miles covered this week: 82
Cumulative miles: 82
Goal: Bag End to Rivendell
Current location: in the Old Forest, between the Bonfire Glade and Old Man Willow

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

(This post was edited by Eldorion on Aug 28 2015, 5:16pm)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Aug 29 2015, 7:50am

Post #4 of 10 (1618 views)
Shortcut
Hey, Arandiel! [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a slightly slower, but still a pretty good week for me, with most of my miles being walking miles this time around.

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 48
Cumulative miles: 1310,5
Goal: Rauros to Mt. Doom

In Middle-earth, the Fellowship is no more. I've decided to go with Sam and Frodo (and Gollum) in an attempt to conquer Mt. Doom. We've began our journey by crossing the Anduin and entering the eastern Emyn Muil.

Happy walking, everyone!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 30 2015, 10:35pm

Post #5 of 10 (1571 views)
Shortcut
Excellent! [In reply to] Can't Post

Impressive strong start on biking!! I think fate is taking care of you, actually, by limiting an aggressive start. I knew someone who ran marathongs regularly, and he would say he'd have a strong run one day, then ease up or rest the day after, then repeat. So until you find your balance with nutrition, sleep, and activity... don't worry about building up nice and easy so as not to risk fatigue or injury.

*high five* Well Done!!! See you on the Road :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 30 2015, 10:36pm

Post #6 of 10 (1570 views)
Shortcut
I did the same thing :) [In reply to] Can't Post

When it came to the breaking of the Fellowship, I was inclined to go with Frodo and Sam, too ;)

Well done on the walking!! That my favourite exercise, fersher!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

BlackFox
Half-elven

Sep 4 2015, 2:45pm

Post #7 of 10 (1507 views)
Shortcut
Update for September 3 [In reply to] Can't Post

It's September, already?! Summer flew by even faster than usual, it seems. Days are already getting shorter and so are my walks -- school and work take most of my time nowadays.

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 42,5
Cumulative miles: 1353
Goal: Rauros to Mt. Doom

In Middle-earth, I'm still wandering amongst the hills and ravines of Emyn Muil. I'm beginning to think that *nervous sigh* I may be lost.

Happy walking, everyone!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Sep 4 2015, 7:19pm

Post #8 of 10 (1501 views)
Shortcut
Update for week of September 3 [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, everyone! It was great to see your updates - cooperative weather, life changes and a strong start - way to go, team! How's it going this week?

I apologize for the delay this week; I kept getting an error message when I tried to get on TORn's site yesterday. And today, I'm down a finger for typing (mandoline plus zucchini plus tired operator equals small gouge out of operator's fingertip Crazy). And I had a slow week, exercise-wise, owing in part to the insomnia that contributed to my little misadventure this morning. Maybe I'm unconsciously fighting Gandalf's insistence that we take the pass over Caradhras... yeah, that's what I'll go with. Wink

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 15
Cumulative miles: 715
Goal: Rivendell to Lothlorien

Have a good strong week!

- Ara

Walk to Rivendell: Walk with the Fellowship Challenge - grab a buddy and let the magic live on, one step at a time.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 5 2015, 12:23pm

Post #9 of 10 (1479 views)
Shortcut
OW! Cripes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ow on your finger, Arandiel! I hope it's not a deep cut from that mandolin! :(

I've had a good week and got a lot of walking in. DONE moving family stuff from here to there for the past few days and I'm NOT moving anything this 3-day holiday weekend. I'm going to an Amish flea market with MILES of booths and stuff to look at :D

I'm still on the River just entering the Brown Lands... passing where the Limlight joins the waters. Boromir's starting to talk to himself, and Sam's spidey-sense is alerted as he keeps a watch on the water. He hasn't noticed that gollum is closing in on them!!!

Thanks lots for keeping us on the Road, Arandiel :) I hope you heal up fast and have fun this weekend.

Miles covered: 30 miles 9/3
Cumulated miles: 1072
CHALLENGE: The Lord of the Rings Walk with the Fellowship Challenge!
GOAL: Travel to Rauros – 389 miles -- Completed 462 (Lothlórien) + 458 (Rivendell) = 920 Cumulated miles

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Sep 5 2015, 2:34pm

Post #10 of 10 (1475 views)
Shortcut
Ooh - Flea Marketing! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you have tons of fun walking those miles! and that you get to enjoy NOT moving. Wink

My finger's doing better this morning. I can't type with it, which is throwing me off my rhythm, but so far, so good. And on the plus side, it means Beamer and my Hobbit will be doing dishes for a while - no excuses!

And where would we be without Sam's spidey-sense? Even bigger trouble, that's where!

Have fun, gramma!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.