Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
Hobbit trilogy fan editor gets nuked off the internet thanks to Reddit

Goldeneye
Lorien

Aug 28 2015, 3:18pm

Post #1 of 3 (2086 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit trilogy fan editor gets nuked off the internet thanks to Reddit Can't Post

I'm just reposting this from Reddit but thought it would be worth discussing here.

A few days ago someone posted a link in /r/videos about a Hobbit Trilogy Fan Edit on Vimeo. It gets over thousand upvotes and makes the front page. The editor appears on the thread and does a mini-AMA, a couple of people raise concerns over the copyright issues, which the editor dismiss over fair-use. Within hours the user is shadowbanned and in the next hours, everything from his Vimeo to Youtube and Tumblr accounts are all nuked off the internet.

The project and its editor in question is not me, but David Killstein and "There and Back Again." As far as I know, this is the first time that a Hobbit fan editors has been wiped off the internet. It should be very interesting to see how WB handles the inevitable explosion of fan edits that will be released by the end of the year.

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Aug 28 2015, 3:36pm

Post #2 of 3 (2077 views)
Shortcut
I think that's an occupational hazard of being a fan editor [In reply to] Can't Post

The fair use argument is always a tricky one, and unfortunately fan edits are particularly vulnerable since they copy so much from the original source (as opposed to, say, five minute fan videos) and have a potential impact on the market by "fulfill[ing] the demand for the original".

http://fairuse.stanford.edu/...ir-use/four-factors/

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

Goldeneye
Lorien

Aug 28 2015, 3:51pm

Post #3 of 3 (2072 views)
Shortcut
True [In reply to] Can't Post

However, one way that helps curb that particular factor (impact upon market value of original work) is by making sure that whoever chooses to view/download a fan edit must own the original film(s). Fanedit.org is very explicit about this with their users, and even though it isn't really enforceable they do a pretty good job of pushing the honor system.

I would venture to guess that anyone interested in seeing a fan edit of The Hobbit will have at least seen all the films once, and may in fact own them too. But again, the honor system is difficult to enforce on the internet.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.