First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Maciliel
Valinor

Aug 29 2015, 10:33pm

Post #26 of 38 (495 views)
Shortcut
warm ((( hugs ))) to you, aunt dora [In reply to] Can't Post

<3

so sorry to hear that you have experienced this. you certainly deserve to be feeling better as soon as possible.

sounds like you are in good hands, and have a promising recovery in your future. those are good things.

i'm so glad you have torn, and the ability to still post here, because so many folks here care about you, and will do whatever they can to help you.

with much care and cheer --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 30 2015, 3:32am

Post #27 of 38 (487 views)
Shortcut
It may be tedious progress [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
One of my therapies is to fill a bowl with dried rice and another with dried beans, and hide loose change in there and try to feel the differences. So far nothing; it's like having novocaine in that hand. But I'm told it will come.

Today I tried playing my guitar and got pretty weepy, which I view as a good thing: it's about time I got some rain, and music helps. I can't help grieving a bit when my right hand feels like a claw and my singing comes out garbled. I've been so euphoric about being alive that's it's taken a week to acknowedge those other feelings. (To heck with the spelling. That will come back in time.)

and it takes a full year to know what will come back and what won't, so you are in the very early stages, with so much room for improvement.

You poor dear...you will experience stages of grief and sometimes you (well, I do anyway) ricochet back and forth like a ping pong ball in a dryer. It would be easier if it were linear.Crazy

(((((((((((((((((((Angelic))))))))))))))))))

(This post was edited by Brethil on Aug 30 2015, 3:33am)

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 30 2015, 4:42am

Post #28 of 38 (479 views)
Shortcut
The very best to you [In reply to] Can't Post

I've had two family members with caused strokes - one from an operation, one as an uncommon side effect from medication given re a heart attack. One took up juggling as a therapy, and tai chi classes have helped. The other - it just seems God decided, because she wasn't supposed to improve but she did anyway and got better.

Everyone is different but may the grace of the Valar speed your healing, every day.Smile
And happy you are well enough to post!Smile

macfalk
Valinor

Aug 30 2015, 2:56pm

Post #29 of 38 (463 views)
Shortcut
Get well, Aunt Dora! // [In reply to] Can't Post

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Aug 30 2015, 6:32pm

Post #30 of 38 (473 views)
Shortcut
I'm finding singing as I play really helps. [In reply to] Can't Post

Speech therapy as well as physical therapy. I force myself to stop and pronouce every word correctly.

This isn't Tolkien but it was a song I worked on very hard. <"https://youtu.be/zTOw5SG3TMM">Blue Boat Home by Peter Mayer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Aug 30 2015, 10:51pm

Post #31 of 38 (455 views)
Shortcut
Great to hear from you so soon, Aunt Dora! [In reply to] Can't Post

You may have temporarily lost some functions and abilities but one thing is unchanged: you're still a smart cookie. Music is awesome therapy and whatever is good for the soul may be the most important of all. Keep us posted with your progress and if you ever feel the need for some encouragement, you know you will find barrels of it here! SmileHeart

Hernevernen!!

(This post was edited by The Grey Elf on Aug 30 2015, 10:54pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 30 2015, 11:11pm

Post #32 of 38 (452 views)
Shortcut
Definitely! [In reply to] Can't Post

For some reason, this is reminding me of the scene in The King's Speech where the king is wearing headphones with music playing loudly, and able to read aloud with no problems.

The music is providing a rhythm for the speech - someone with more knowledge about this should be able to explain how the one helps the other! But it's terrific therapy.

I hadn't before heard those words to this very familiar tune (the Christmas carol "Come Thou Long-expected Jesus")!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Aug 31 2015, 12:09am

Post #33 of 38 (451 views)
Shortcut
Yep, that song (Come Thou Long Expected Jesus) is the one I learned [In reply to] Can't Post

decades ago in my childhood Methodist church, and I still love it. But Blue Boat Home has become a new favorite. The folks in my UU church said they'd sing it this morning and think of me. <3

I'm not sure the Kings Speech thing is operating here. I had to practice and practice and make myself stop and fix words like "ocean" (which came out "otham") over and over until I got them. But the words in that song got easier, though I still had to concentrate. Each new song is a new challenge (rather like typing this post, where I have to edit every single word.) It's hard work, but fun too.

GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Aug 31 2015, 12:12am

Post #34 of 38 (445 views)
Shortcut
Psst see my post below // [In reply to] Can't Post

GNU Terry Pratchett

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Aug 31 2015, 1:51am

Post #35 of 38 (444 views)
Shortcut
Wow! You look and sound incredible! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't believe you've got so much dexterity in the hand that was numb!!!! With all your determination, and for heaven's sakes with the results already, I'm sure you'll be "back in the saddle" very, very quickly.

I walked down the aisle to that hymn, which I also grew up singing in our Methodist Church, but to a different set of words: Alleluia, Sing to Jesus. My Catholic friends tell me they also sing it with entirely different words (I believe it is a hymn to Mary). There's something about that tune . . . . SmileSmileSmile

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Aug 31 2015, 2:03am

Post #36 of 38 (441 views)
Shortcut
It's still pretty much completely numb. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to be careful not to pick up a bowl with that hand if there's a chance the bowl may be hot. But it is mobile, and I can guide it with my eyes. I sure drop a lot of forks and combs, though. :-D

Yes, it is a special tune, isn't it? <3

GNU Terry Pratchett

smtfhw
Lorien

Aug 31 2015, 3:58pm

Post #37 of 38 (416 views)
Shortcut
It will come I'm sure. [In reply to] Can't Post

Just be patient. When my father-in-law had a very bad stroke I spent a lot of time talking to his neurosurgeon and she was quite clear on the subject of stroke recovery, saying that over the course of 24 months there will likely continue to be improvements. He didn't get the two years because he also had cancer but he did noticeably improve week on week and month on month.

Good luck and I hope you get all the therapy and support you need.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Sep 2 2015, 1:05am

Post #38 of 38 (394 views)
Shortcut
Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Aunt Dora! // [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.