Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Confirmed Scenes That Were Never Shown (or Won't Be)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

AndHeHandedHimTheTobaccoJar
Bree

Aug 27 2015, 7:11pm

Post #1 of 37 (2319 views)
Shortcut
Confirmed Scenes That Were Never Shown (or Won't Be) Can't Post

In this thread, just share any scenes that were confirmed to have been filmed (or you're pretty sure they were), but never made it into any of the three films (or at least probably won't make it into the third film). I'm interested in knowing what might've been, so if you guys could help me that would be awesome!

(This post was edited by AndHeHandedHimTheTobaccoJar on Aug 27 2015, 7:11pm)

DainPig
Gondor

Aug 27 2015, 7:25pm

Post #2 of 37 (2192 views)
Shortcut
funeral [In reply to] Can't Post

Richard Armitage (Thorin) said in a interview to Yahoo that there's a great funeral scene. Adam Brown and Peter Humbleton (Ori and Gloin) also said something about that funeral.

I just do not have videos, sorry Unimpressed

How aaaaaaaaaaaaaare you all???

Hey guys, my blog is: dainpigblog.blogspot.com

And my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Hobbit-Rules/676198089181339

Bree

Aug 27 2015, 7:28pm

Post #3 of 37 (2176 views)
Shortcut
I Hope That One Makes It [In reply to] Can't Post

That seems like it could possibly be one of the best scenes in the trilogy. Definitely one I (and most) have heard of, so don't worry about no video!

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Aug 27 2015, 7:42pm

Post #4 of 37 (2152 views)
Shortcut
That will be in it. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd say there's a 99.9% chance that the funeral scene WILL be in the extended edition.

scenes that weren't put in AUJ EE or DoS EE:
-Bilbo stepping out of his door and looking out at Hobbiton one last time before running out to join the dwarves (glad that wasn't put back in, the transition we got was already perfect)
-a moment between Fili and Thorin during the warg chase
-Thorin telling Bilbo about Erebor while they were resting in Rivendell (sounded like a great scene, but it wouldn't really make sense for a conversation like that to happen so early between those two)
-Gandalf giving some sort of explanation to the dwarves for why the eagles wouldn't take them further than the Carrock
-Thranduil interrogating the dwarves
-Bilbo talking about how hobbits "never venture east" on Bard's barge
-the dwarves passing through Dale on their way to Erebor

DainPig
Gondor

Aug 27 2015, 8:02pm

Post #5 of 37 (2098 views)
Shortcut
Never heard about these before [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo looking to bag end one last time? Oh, probralby the whole scene were different, and Gandalf was with Bilbo
If I am not wrong, there's a picture of Gandalf and Fili in the warg chase...
Uh, Thorin and Bilbo? Sounds great!
Hahahaha, LOL, would be awesome to hear what's Gandalf explanation!!!
I miss it, really miss Unsure
Miss to UnsureUnsure
We will see this one, soon... this scene in Dale was really filmed, and it is in the artbooks!

100% chance!!!!!!!!! of funeral Wink

And my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Hobbit-Rules/676198089181339

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Aug 27 2015, 8:13pm

Post #6 of 37 (2073 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo was looking at the shire from Bag End [In reply to] Can't Post

and what he see is what his life would look like If he did not go on this journey. There is no Gandalf in that scene.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 27 2015, 8:19pm

Post #7 of 37 (2060 views)
Shortcut
"...Those that survived and those that did not..." [In reply to] Can't Post

I think this line that Bilbo says was recorded only for the trailers and won't make it into the EE. Instead Bilbo says "One day I'll remember. Remember everything that happened, the good the bad and how lucky I am that I made it home"

DainPig
Gondor

Aug 27 2015, 8:23pm

Post #8 of 37 (2052 views)
Shortcut
oh [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought this would be that scene from the book, when Gandalf arrives (again) at Bilbo's home and ask him to follow the company.

TheHutt
Gondor

Aug 27 2015, 8:36pm

Post #9 of 37 (2033 views)
Shortcut
William Kircher... [In reply to] Can't Post

...told me about a scene on DOS where he was cursing at Smaug in Khuzdul. Didn't make the SEE cut.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

DainPig
Gondor

Aug 27 2015, 8:40pm

Post #10 of 37 (2008 views)
Shortcut
Would be awesome to see some khuzdul insults by Bifur! [In reply to] Can't Post

So many thinks missing... Unsure

PJ, Where are these amazing scenes? MadMadMadMad

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Aug 27 2015, 9:00pm

Post #11 of 37 (1962 views)
Shortcut
toy maker [In reply to] Can't Post

And there's the scene with Bifur working on the bird toy. I think you can still see it in the background of a shot, but of course they didn't end up using the closeups. I know it's unrealistic to expect every little thing like that to be included, but it's a shame when things like that, which would be relatively simple to edit in, don't even make it to the EE.

(This post was edited by Mooseboy018 on Aug 27 2015, 9:01pm)

Dcole4
Rohan

Aug 27 2015, 9:22pm

Post #12 of 37 (1919 views)
Shortcut
Ughh... [In reply to] Can't Post

There are probably dozens of these types of moments, that give characterization to the dwarves that are left on the cutting room floor. While I can appreciate the filmmakers wanting to create a lean theatrical experience, there is a distinction between economical filmmaking and filmmaking that disregards half its cast. These scenes and snippets give the story so much texture and only take seconds to display. I wish the EEs re-instated these moments, its heartbreaking to think how much work these actors put in to creating their roles and making them unique only to be completely left on the editing room floor. Beyond the main four dwarves, none of them got anything truly meaningful to do or say. It's a shame.

DainPig
Gondor

Aug 27 2015, 9:49pm

Post #13 of 37 (1875 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

and Legolas is laughing at our face right now MadUnsureMadMad

(This post was edited by DainPig on Aug 27 2015, 9:50pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Aug 27 2015, 10:43pm

Post #14 of 37 (1815 views)
Shortcut
'Lean theatrical experience' [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
While I can appreciate the filmmakers wanting to create a lean theatrical experience, there is a distinction between economical filmmaking and filmmaking that disregards half its cast.

Pity the film-makers could not have deleted Legolas and Turiel to create that 'lean theatrical experience', and substituted them with Beorn as a key character, plus further development of the Dwarves after a good start in AUJ.

Trouble is, the 'film-makers' lost that 'lack of confidence'/humility they had while making LotR, which made them remain true to the spirit and much of the story in that trilogy. I think over-confidence resulted in a rising amount of injections of stupidity, grossness, unnecessary characters and self-indulgence in these films, at the expense of so much that was good…

MadCrazyUnimpressed

Bree

Aug 28 2015, 1:12am

Post #15 of 37 (1722 views)
Shortcut
There [In reply to] Can't Post

There is a a moment in the DOS trailer where we see Azog climbing over some rock looking like he is chasing someone

DainPig
Gondor

Aug 28 2015, 1:39am

Post #16 of 37 (1694 views)
Shortcut
Azog is in the barrel chase [In reply to] Can't Post

this was part of the two movies project, Azog would chase the dwarves in the river, instead of Bolg

(This post was edited by DainPig on Aug 28 2015, 1:39am)

Cillendor
Lorien

Aug 28 2015, 3:10pm

Post #17 of 37 (1402 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

At the outset, there was rumor that Legolas would be seen as a cameo or background character. That's where they should have left him. Did Orlando Bloom demand to get more screen time for his appearance, or did Jackson just get a bloated ego?

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Aug 28 2015, 3:28pm

Post #18 of 37 (1366 views)
Shortcut
Considering the number of other LOTR references [In reply to] Can't Post

Including numerous lines of dialogue repeated wholesale, I think the credit and/or blame for Legolas' expanded role goes to Jackson and his co-writers. Personally, I was prepared for and okay with a significant supporting role for Legolas in the films, but I do think the narrative prominence he was given in the third film, particularly during the climax, was way too much.

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Aug 28 2015, 3:36pm

Post #19 of 37 (1345 views)
Shortcut
What lines from LOTR was repeated [In reply to] Can't Post

I only remember two "It's not natural, none of it" be Dori and "These bats are bred for one purpose for war" be Legolas what other lines was repeated?

droidsocket
Lorien

Aug 28 2015, 4:00pm

Post #20 of 37 (1320 views)
Shortcut
I would say... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that its a combination of things. I dont know who wanted legolas back. Was it WB or PJ? What we do know is they paid him a million dollars for coming back. So for that kind of investment it was not going to be quick cameo. However the quality of his role in the finished film falls on the writing team.

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Aug 28 2015, 4:06pm

Post #21 of 37 (1316 views)
Shortcut
A couple others come to mind offhand [In reply to] Can't Post

The two you mentioned were among the most egregious.

The Dol Guldur scene in BOFA is full of these:
- "The time of the Elves is over. The Age of the Orc has come."
- "You have no power here"
- "The spirit of Sauron endured."

Kingsfoil in DOS is a borderline case. "Ah, it's a weed" vs "No, it's a weed".

There were several in AUJ of varying degrees of similarity that were collected in this thread:
http://newboards.theonering.net/...orum.cgi?post=564550

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 28 2015, 4:36pm

Post #22 of 37 (1287 views)
Shortcut
Those are terrible examples, I think I might make a better list... [In reply to] Can't Post

Most of those seem like a stretch. There are much better examples not mentioned there, like Gollum's "juicy sweet" song and Gandalf "let us have a little more light" like FotR's "let me risk a little more light"

One person compared the AUJ "musn't ask us, not its business" to TTT "No. Not its business" in the interrogation. But in TTT Frodo says "who are you?" and Gollum replies "musn't ask us, not its business". which is word-for-word Crazy

I'll try to compile a good list sometime. There are lots of better examples in there.

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Aug 28 2015, 4:36pm)

Bree

Aug 28 2015, 4:36pm

Post #23 of 37 (1286 views)
Shortcut
Can We Stay on Topic? [In reply to] Can't Post

Not to seem rude, but the focus of this thread seems to be wandering a bit, and I was hoping for a not too cluttered, easy to comprehend thread where people could confirm scenes that were filmed, but never made a final cut. Thanks.

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Aug 28 2015, 4:38pm

Post #24 of 37 (1284 views)
Shortcut
Some of this don´t evan sound the same. [In reply to] Can't Post

You've been busy of late, my old friend.
For that is why you have come, is it not, my old friend?
The only word that are the same are "my friend "( Old is not in the hobbit).
And Gollums "Musn't ask us. Not its business" is in the book.

the legacy of my people is mine to protect.
The Rul of Gondor is mine and no others
Nothing similar in this one.

Then we are with you, laddie. We will see it done.
I would have gone with you to the end, into the very fires of Mordor. Not the same thing

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 28 2015, 4:46pm

Post #25 of 37 (1283 views)
Shortcut
The dwarves meet Thranduil... [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a scene where the dwarves are interrogated by Thranduil before being put in the cells.

There's a scene between Legolas and Thranduil before Legolas goes to find Tauriel. Thranduil gives him until sun down to find her or something?

PJ had a DoS cameo in Laketown that was cut.

There was a scene where Alfrid got eggs thrown at him

A scene where Gandalf said "...And that is why the eagles would take you no further"

There are unused shots in the trailer of Bilbo looking scared in the goblin cave in AUJ, with Bifur holding an eagle toy.

And a moment in AUJ's market scene between Bilbo and Lobelia Sackville-Baggins.

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Aug 28 2015, 4:54pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.