The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
PJs Hobbit vs Bakshis LOTR

balbo biggins
Rohan

Aug 27 2015, 12:40am

Post #1 of 18 (1992 views)
Shortcut
PJs Hobbit vs Bakshis LOTR Can't Post

I would argue that Bakshis lotr is a far more accurate, successful, creative and enjoyable adaption of tolkiens world than PJs Hobbit by a League.

go...

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 27 2015, 12:59am

Post #2 of 18 (1922 views)
Shortcut
I love Bakshi's version of the man in the moon song. Much more than Bofur's // [In reply to] Can't Post

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Aug 27 2015, 12:59am

Post #3 of 18 (1927 views)
Shortcut
Fair enough. [In reply to] Can't Post

That might be true for you, though a lot more folks would seemingly disagree with that than would agree.

CathrineB
Rohan

Aug 27 2015, 1:23am

Post #4 of 18 (1908 views)
Shortcut
PJs [In reply to] Can't Post

While I complain a lot lately (yes I am well aware Laugh) I prefer PJs by miles because I just think those cartoons are downright awful to look at. I'm not going to go into detail of just how much I dislike it though because I know there are people that like it.

It's BotfA I didn't like. I quite love AUJ and DoS is good even if I might have a wee bit gripes with it those are minor compare to BotfA.

(This post was edited by CathrineB on Aug 27 2015, 1:30am)

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Aug 27 2015, 1:33am

Post #5 of 18 (1892 views)
Shortcut
Successful? [In reply to] Can't Post

More accurate? I'd say so. For the most part.

More successful? Um...they didn't even get to finish it.

More creative? I'd say no. While some of the creativity in PJ's The Hobbit took things a bit too far in places, I'd say overall it's more "creative" than Bakshi's LotR, in terms of both design and as an adaption. But of course that's subjective.

More enjoyable? Way too subjective.Sly For me personally, I'd choose PJ's over Bakshi's any day, no matter how many problems I have with it.

(This post was edited by Mooseboy018 on Aug 27 2015, 1:34am)

droidsocket
Lorien

Aug 27 2015, 1:54am

Post #6 of 18 (1870 views)
Shortcut
Well I enjoy both [In reply to] Can't Post

For very different reasons. At least neither are as bad as Gene Deitch's Hobbit.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Aug 27 2015, 1:57am

Post #7 of 18 (1869 views)
Shortcut
I'll never for the life of me... [In reply to] Can't Post

...understand what people see in the Bakshi film. Is it merely the fidelity to the text (dialogue-wise, anyway)?

To be fair, I admire some of the animation. But, as a film, I find that it fails miserably. It's not fun or enjoyable, nor is it emotionally engaging or cohesive.

The only positive things I can say about it is that it features two voice talents that would reprise their roles in the BBC radio drama: Michael Graham Cox as Boromir and Peter Woodthorpe as Gollum. And that's really more of a positive for the radio drama (especially since I detest Boromir's design in the Bakshi film).

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 27 2015, 7:19am

Post #8 of 18 (1751 views)
Shortcut
Nah... [In reply to] Can't Post

... the Bakshi movies have a few iconic and nicely done moments and scene... but not enough to make a good movie imho. Actually, it is not even finished.

Many of the designs in the Baskshi movie really lack imagination, imho, as well as the horrible character design.

What I like about them are some individual things... such as the creepy shot of the Nazgul riding in the prologue... the chants while the Orcs approach Helm's Deep (though what they sing does not make any sense), the Nazgul design in general is pretty good and a few other little things.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 27 2015, 8:32am

Post #9 of 18 (1723 views)
Shortcut
I think the Bakshi is dreadful... [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember seeing it in the cinema - I dragged my mother along because I was so excited to think that someone had filmed Lord of the Rings. I was longing to see it and so sure that when she saw it she'd finally understand why I loved the book so much. The film was a massive disappointment. There was nothing, nothing there of what mattered to me in the original. PJ's Smaug alone is worth 100 of the Bakshi film.

adt100
Rohan

Aug 27 2015, 11:54am

Post #10 of 18 (1661 views)
Shortcut
It begins well but rapidly goes downhill! [In reply to] Can't Post

Lack of budget and time etc. Bakshi's was a brave attempt, and it does start well (and is a very faithful adaptation for all it's eccentricities).

Alas the more it goes on the more it is patently obvious how unfinished it is. It does however give me hope that in the future, another animated film/films will be attempted. I would prefer that to another live action version I think. Not that it will likely happen for a very, very long time!

ghost_matt
Rivendell

Aug 27 2015, 5:18pm

Post #11 of 18 (1574 views)
Shortcut
I like it [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the Bakshi movie but it doesn't hold a candle to PJ's movies. The pacing is too quick, you don't really get to know any of the characters and there's no emotional attachment, it's too "dark" (even Rivendell looks like a spooky castle), some bad character designs such as Sam and Boromir, and the script makes no sense in places. Did you notice as Frodo is leaving Hobbiton he says to Sam, "And Merry and Pippin insisted on coming with us as far as Bree..." Then in the next scene with the Black Rider, Frodo acts surprised that M & P knew he was leaving.

I actually like the animation though and I seem to be the only one who thinks the rotoscoping looks cool. Also a fan of the soundtrack.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Aug 27 2015, 6:39pm

Post #12 of 18 (1529 views)
Shortcut
script [In reply to] Can't Post

And then there's the fact that Gandalf throws the Ring into the fire at Bag End, but then he doesn't even bother to check it for the inscription...

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Aug 27 2015, 7:51pm

Post #13 of 18 (1496 views)
Shortcut
I saw it on DVD [In reply to] Can't Post

but I remember I saw that dreadful giant Gandalf on the poster when I was a child, and that it put me off everything related to LOTR for a couple of decades.(Where I live it wasn't much popular in the 70s).

In spite of some interesting scenes I must admit I don't like it: in particular I didn't like the designs of Frodo and Aragorn, whereas Galadriel wasn't that bad. And of course it has the major fault of being incomplete... which makes it impossible to express a proper opinion.

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 27 2015, 9:34pm

Post #14 of 18 (1479 views)
Shortcut
Drogo led a Bakshi discussion back in 2007. [In reply to] Can't Post

http://newboards.theonering.net/...string=bakshi;#17655

http://newboards.theonering.net/...string=bakshi;#21784

But much like the film, in the end it just sort of petered out:

http://newboards.theonering.net/...string=bakshi;#30160

That hobbit has a pleasant face,
His private life is a disgrace.
I really could not tell to you,
The awful things that hobbits do.
Things that your paper never prints
They only speak of them in hints.
They have such lost, degraded souls,
No wonder they inhabit holes;
When such depravity is found,
It only can live underground.
I really dare not name to you,
The awful things that hobbits do.

adt100
Rohan

Aug 27 2015, 11:00pm

Post #15 of 18 (1452 views)
Shortcut
And lest we forget 'Aruman of many colours!' [In reply to] Can't Post

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 27 2015, 11:34pm

Post #16 of 18 (1446 views)
Shortcut
That's only really a problem if you've read the book... [In reply to] Can't Post

Anyone else would just assume Gandalf did that to show the Ring's indestructibility. He takes it out of the fire and hands it to Frodo who says "it's not even cold" and Gandalf replies "not even dragon fire could harm that ring". So it's not really a problem IMO.

I actually enjoy Bakshi's version, I enjoy all versions really - even the Gene Deitch and video game versions. I just like seeing different perspectives on the story.

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Aug 28 2015, 5:31am

Post #17 of 18 (1403 views)
Shortcut
Rotoscoping [In reply to] Can't Post

Not trying to put words in your mouth since I don't know what exactly you meant, but most people who praise the "rotoscoping" in Bakshi's film are talking about the live-action footage with heavily colored filters slapped over it. Actual rotoscoping looks a lot like regular animation; it's just that it was traced over live-action footage which was recorded for references. The tinted scenes in Bakshi's films are the ones that were NOT rotoscoped, because they ran out of time/money.

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Aug 28 2015, 5:37am

Post #18 of 18 (1404 views)
Shortcut
Why are we comparing adaptations of two different books? [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean, aside from the fact that it's easier to score anti-PJ points when talking about his less well-regarded trilogy. Wink But let's break it down:

Accurate? I mean, yeah, this is going to go to Bakshi, but since we're talking about Tolkien's world rather than the specific stories, it's not by as much of a landslide as it could have been.

Successful? Not by any metric, lol.

Creative? I know some people who go on and on about Bakshi's visual inventiveness, but a lot of that wasn't even intentional (see my previous post in this thread about "rotoscoping"). But PJ's films -- all six of them -- were massive creative undertakings by a huge crew of talented artists (not to mention the actors) and I don't think you can seriously downplay the level of creative energy that went into making these films, even if you weren't that fond of the finished product.

Enjoyable? This is 100% subjective of course, but I would rather re-watch PJ's Hobbit than Bakshi's LOTR, and I'm not even really a fan of PJ's Hobbit. I dislike Bakshi's film considerably more though.

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

(This post was edited by Eldorion on Aug 28 2015, 5:38am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.