The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Gimli vs. Legolas

Keebler the Elf
Rivendell

Feb 28 2008, 4:30pm

Post #1 of 14 (5292 views)
Shortcut
Gimli vs. Legolas Can't Post

Ok...they start back to back.....step off 20 paces...... TURN.........Gimli throws one of his small axes, Legolas whips out an arrow....Gimli grazes Legolas' leg, Gimli is hit in the shoulder but absorbs the blow with his armor..... closing in, both go to different weapons....Legolas pulls out his secondary weapons, his white knives, Gimli pulls out his double bladed battle axe, and both start hacking away........ when the dust clears....YOU TELL ME

Greenleaf
Bree

Mar 25 2008, 12:05am

Post #2 of 14 (1551 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure [In reply to] Can't Post

speed will beat strength any day. Legolas strings his arrows faster than Gimli can pull out a throwing axe. Close range, I don't know how many parries Legolas' blades could withstand from Gimli's axe, but he could assuredly dodge them.

The Iron of Death

Keebler the Elf
Rivendell

Mar 25 2008, 3:09pm

Post #3 of 14 (1463 views)
Shortcut
So legolas wins? [In reply to] Can't Post

But he doesn't wear armor, so if he didn't dodge one, he'd most likely be cut in two.

Greenleaf
Bree

Mar 25 2008, 10:25pm

Post #4 of 14 (1474 views)
Shortcut
Thats true [In reply to] Can't Post

but Gimli doesn't seem to have the fastest attacks, and Legolas is an elf. I think Gimli is more effective against enemies like him. Such as Uruks, they're big and clunky.

The Iron of Death

Keebler the Elf
Rivendell

Mar 26 2008, 2:25am

Post #5 of 14 (1578 views)
Shortcut
Yah [In reply to] Can't Post

Gimli's attack look slow in the movie, so maybe you are right. I'm gonna think this one over. Be back later.

SmeagoloftheStoors
Lorien

Apr 6 2008, 4:50am

Post #6 of 14 (1454 views)
Shortcut
If I were in this fight [In reply to] Can't Post

I think on Gimli's end, I would have used the two throwers as hand axes. I've been in a fight with 2 knives versus 2 hand axes (3 times now). Gimli would have to take the defence because thrusting wouldn't be an option and his lack of stature would lead to the ability to hit low. Plus Gimli wears armor that covers all but his face, so knife slashes (and the knives in the movie were slashing weapons) wouldn't do much. A thrust could penetrate maile, but from the hight of Legolas it would automaticly be a downward thrust which is easily blocked. (I don't get many of those, I'm about 6'7" when I'm in my armor and my usual sparing partners are my wife 5'3", and my cousin 5"6"). The two light weapons, as opposed to one heavy, would make up the speed difference and thus I vote for Gimli.

Eglario Valar!

Keebler the Elf
Rivendell

Apr 6 2008, 6:28pm

Post #7 of 14 (1431 views)
Shortcut
What about the axe handles? [In reply to] Can't Post

But could his throwing axe handles take the force of Legolas' knives? Could he block their slashes without the handles shattering? His large two-handed battle axe had a heavy leather cover in the movie, but I don't believe his throwing axes would, because they would only be used for throwing. But in the extended edition of ROTK, Gimli used one of his throwing axes in melee at the Pelennor Fields along with the two handed one.

SmeagoloftheStoors
Lorien

Apr 7 2008, 5:21am

Post #8 of 14 (1479 views)
Shortcut
They cost around $6-$15 unless you make them. [In reply to] Can't Post

I use a french style throwing axe (it's a style that strongly resembles a 13C hand axe) as a hand axe. It's my back up/parying weapon. It has a simple pine handle but it takes the blows of full size swords, and I use a set of them for 2 axe versus 2 knife fights. I haven't changed the handles in over 3 years. I don't fight using 2 of them often, but the one I use for a secondary weapon gets used a lot. I almost prefer using it as my left hand weapon in place of a shield with my arming sword (depending on the opponants weapon. It doesn't work well against maces or flails). I've never had to replace the handle on it. In the movies the handles always break or get cut, but in real life it only hapens when you hold down too low on the handle. You should usualy hold about 1/2 way down the shaft, unless it's a steel hafted and gripped weapon. In actuality the handle on Gimlis double headed axe in the movie probably would have needed replacing after Helm's Deep. The Leather would have been cut up and hanging off ot it at least. I modified a camp axe to look like a medieval battle axe (single head modle) and I gave the shaft a leather cover and it's been replaced once and is currently in rough condition. I don't want to seem like a jerk for posting things like this on your posts all of the time, but I find your situations interesting and I'd like to give food for thought on the subjects addressed. PS: Forgive my spelling, it's my weak point. PPS: The subject is the cost to repace the handles.Smile

Eglario Valar!

(This post was edited by SmeagoloftheStoors on Apr 7 2008, 5:23am)

Keebler the Elf
Rivendell

Apr 7 2008, 4:59pm

Post #9 of 14 (1411 views)
Shortcut
No its Fine [In reply to] Can't Post

Its all cool, man. Its good to hear lots of different opinions. And I would agree about the movies not being realistic enough, and yah, I guess that the axe handles wouldn't break, but what about after getting hit by many opponents? But then, in this battle Gimli is only fighting Legolas, not 30 Legolas'.

SmeagoloftheStoors
Lorien

Apr 8 2008, 5:32am

Post #10 of 14 (1447 views)
Shortcut
About the many [In reply to] Can't Post

That is a good question. If they were armed in say the manner of the Uruk Hai, the double headed axe or his walking axe would be the better choices, but say he didn't have them and had only his throwers. The durability of his weapons would be a factor. I know that in live steel an axe handle can make it about say 75 fights before the integrity becomes an issue. But if his grip slipped a little too far down the shaft and he hit an Uruks steel shield, the haft would probably crack a bit and thus wear out faster. But the 2 axe style is only realy effective in a duel situation where you can keep the opponent in front of you, and thus the strength of the handles wouldn't be much of a factor. The question then becomes how fast can you kill an enemy. The block and attack method isn't a common thing in melee fighting. That's why the harder to block heavier weapons would be the better choice here. Plus you can lash out in all directions with a two handed weapon. The but and haft become functional for offence as well as the head. With these weapons you can take as many as 3 enemies at a time. Considering the time is a fer sec. to a min. He could take more but as you pointed out in the original posts, he's a bit slow as a fighter and therefore must rely on strength. Fighting is tricky like that. There are so many factors that must be taken in accout on the fly, heck 2 weapons that look almost identical fight a little bit diferently and therefore can affect the stratagy if not the outcome of a fight.

Eglario Valar!

Keebler the Elf
Rivendell

Apr 8 2008, 4:25pm

Post #11 of 14 (1399 views)
Shortcut
Ok, [In reply to] Can't Post

So why did Gimli use a throwing axe plus his two handed at the Pelennor fields? Was it a mistake by PJ?

SmeagoloftheStoors
Lorien

Apr 8 2008, 8:09pm

Post #12 of 14 (1452 views)
Shortcut
I'll have to check into that [In reply to] Can't Post

The generic response I would give is that in movies all things always work out to the best. I can't remember how he used them in combination, and my dvds are buried because our store room and hallways had to be emptied so the floors could be re-done. My dvd rack was in my hall and is now under a pile of junk in my bedroom. However, My statements about the 2 hander is based on melee (group hand to hand in close quarters), and if memory serves he used his throwers for distance shots. My style of fighting doesn't typicaly allow for the use of throwing weapons, but I've seen people use them to great effect in the right situations. Again in fighting there are millions of circumstances that must be taken into account on the fly. It's a matter of reaction time, some times you make the right choice, sometimes not. Even though the axe I use is a thrower, I use it like most people use a large dagger with a sword. Now I think Gimli used both his doulble headed and his walking axe at the same time in the stone troll fight in Moria. Even if it was only for a moment, it wasn't a very smart thing to do. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. I don't look at these things a mistakes, but rather specialy choriographed scenes set up for maximum excitement on screen. "Feild technique" is the most practical method of fighting but it isn't the flashiest. This is why when I'm doing a show I use "Dueling technique", it's effective against one or two people not large groups, but it looks great. I was thinking about getting a digital video camera and uploading some fights on youtube, but as a newly wed I don't have a ton of cash just laying around.

Eglario Valar!

(This post was edited by SmeagoloftheStoors on Apr 8 2008, 8:10pm)

balinman
Rivendell

Nov 13 2009, 1:22am

Post #13 of 14 (4074 views)
Shortcut
Gimli vs. Legolas [In reply to] Can't Post

gimli would so win because he has those throwable little axes and then the big one go gimli!!!!

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Jun 29 2013, 3:49pm

Post #14 of 14 (1002 views)
Shortcut
gimli [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.