First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 26 2015, 4:52pm

Post #1 of 65 (1956 views)
Shortcut
What's wrong with this picture? Can't Post

So, here is the blu-ray cover for the BOT5A EE:

Well my first thought was, it looks a lot better than that stupid cover with Bilbo standing on the carrock from AUJ, but then I got to thinking, something's missing. We have Bilbo front and center, which is appropriate considering the movie IS called "The Hobbit." We have Gandalf, also appropriate since he was in all 3 movies AND is the biggest connection to the LoTR trilogy. We also have Thorin, also appropriate since it's largely his tragic story, and Bard, a pretty significant character in the book. But then there's a problem: Not one, not 2 but THREE Elves on the cover, only one of which was in the book! Now, I have often said I don't mind Legolas being in the movies, since he was a Mirkwood Elf, and I don't mind Tauriel either (surely there were female Elves!), but I don't think either belong here! Who DOES belong there instead? IMO, Dain should be here, in fact since the movie is called "Battle of the FIVE Armies," shouldn't the leader of each army be featured??? Now, Thranduil is indeed the leader of one of those armies - the Elven army - and Bard represents the army of Man, so why not Dain as leader of the Dwarf army??? Yes I know we have Thorin, who has a much bigger part, but he had a company of 13 Dwarves which is not an army (although they were apparently 13 very BADASS Dwarves, considering even the Trolls backed up when they came charging outSly). And to complete this, we should also have Azog and Bolg, as leaders of the two Orc armies. Yeah, I know, what about the Eagles, weren't THEY the 5th army? I dunno, we could debate that, and I suppose we could actually debate whether there were 5 armies or 6, but I'll save that for another day. The point is, this cover is once again heavily skewed toward the Elves at the expense of the Dwarves - am I right? So, I respectfully request that some talented TORner with Photoshop (*cough* Avandel) please see if he or she could put together a cover for the Battle of 5 Armies that actually depicts all 5 armies, and not just the Elves! By all means, keep Bilbo, Gandalf and Thorin, but PLEASE, can we have some more Dwarves???

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Aug 26 2015, 5:04pm

Post #2 of 65 (1766 views)
Shortcut
What's the purpose of the picture? [In reply to] Can't Post

In your view.

Shagrat
Gondor

Aug 26 2015, 5:04pm

Post #3 of 65 (1770 views)
Shortcut
Stuff like this [In reply to] Can't Post

Tends to betray WB's agenda IMO. There can be no denying it here.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 26 2015, 5:07pm

Post #4 of 65 (1759 views)
Shortcut
Of that particular picture? [In reply to] Can't Post

Well clearly it's marketing - whoever is in charge of the marketing thinks that the Elves are the more important characters in the movie. Even more important than Fili & Kili, who also have tragic deaths, but I'm not suggesting they should be on the cover either. IMO, if you are marketing a movie called "Battle of 5 Armies" then there should be a representative of 5 armies to go along with the title.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Aug 26 2015, 5:10pm

Post #5 of 65 (1746 views)
Shortcut
Only partially agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's purpose is marketing. And so it shows, not the most important characters, but the most marketable characters. That means recognition - of the character and the actors. It's as simple as that, I'm afraid.

These sorts of things are not making narrative judgements!

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 26 2015, 5:28pm

Post #6 of 65 (1690 views)
Shortcut
Most marketable in THEIR opinion [In reply to] Can't Post

not mine. Of course, everyone's got an opinion, don't they? And I know it's not really my call, I'm just a fan that buys the product, no one importantMad

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 26 2015, 5:28pm

Post #7 of 65 (1683 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! It’s all about the Do-Re-Mi . . . $ $ $ [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Its purpose is marketing.

Boromir looked in surprise at Bilbo, but the laughter died on his lips when he saw that all the others regarded the old hobbit with grave respect. Only Glóin smiled, but his smile came from old memories.
-JRR Tolkien

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Aug 26 2015, 5:35pm

Post #8 of 65 (1670 views)
Shortcut
Well, in their professional opinion, yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not suggesting that you are unimportant but I am guessing that you don't have a background in the global marketing of films.

They, assuming it is the same teams, give or take, seem to have been successful in their marketing of the previous films' various releases. I'm not quite sure why we would take any of our lay opinions on such matters as more likely to produce higher sales? It seems a long shot, surely?

(This post was edited by Spriggan on Aug 26 2015, 5:39pm)

EgyptRaider
The Shire

Aug 26 2015, 5:44pm

Post #9 of 65 (1652 views)
Shortcut
It makes more sense then your suggestions [In reply to] Can't Post

If you would talk about some mural artwork depicting the battle a symbolic use of the five armies you might have a point, but this is not it.

This is a Blu-ray cover which simply shows the 7 biggest characters of the movie (pretty sure all of them have more lines than any of the other characters you suggested) their role in the battle or the book might be lesser compared to characters like Bolg or Fili and Kili but this is an artpiece that is supposed to represent the movie, and, like them or not, it is representing the most important characters of the movie.

TheHutt
Gondor

Aug 26 2015, 5:45pm

Post #10 of 65 (1629 views)
Shortcut
Too much text! [In reply to] Can't Post

What's wrong with this picture - it's a tower o' heads, that's what.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

CathrineB
Rohan

Aug 26 2015, 5:46pm

Post #11 of 65 (1623 views)
Shortcut
I hate it [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's a pretty awful cover and yes because of all the elves. The only one who rightfully should be there is Thranduil along with some of the dwarves as well as Bard. I'm so sick of the focus on the elves. Unsure Way to go to turn your fans against you.

This one's a bit messy I agree, but at least it involves more than just one dwarf.

(This post was edited by CathrineB on Aug 26 2015, 5:47pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 26 2015, 5:48pm

Post #12 of 65 (1623 views)
Shortcut
But logically... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...since the movie is called "Battle of the FIVE Armies," shouldn't the leader of each army be featured???

...since it's called "Battle of the Five Armies", not "Leaders of the Five Armies", the cover should be a color glossy map of the battlefield with circles and arrows and a paragraph next to each one explaining what their significance is, but that would be an awfully busy cover, and besides they'd probably have to include a magnifying glass just so you could read the paragraphs, but in the end it wouldn't sell as many copies as one with a cover with Elves on the cover, and really we ought to be grateful Warner showed some restraint and didn't add more Elves like Galadriel, Elrond, Figwit, and a few random Elf extras, but despite all that I'm sure the spirit of Hugo Dyson would heartily agree with you about the addition of more Elves.

That hobbit has a pleasant face,
His private life is a disgrace.
I really could not tell to you,
The awful things that hobbits do.
Things that your paper never prints
They only speak of them in hints.
They have such lost, degraded souls,
No wonder they inhabit holes;
When such depravity is found,
It only can live underground.
I really dare not name to you,
The awful things that hobbits do.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 26 2015, 5:49pm

Post #13 of 65 (1625 views)
Shortcut
Your opinion is invalid because you can't prove otherwise [In reply to] Can't Post

Blah blah defensive semantics.

I refuse to have an opinion on the quality of these products and instead base my tastes on the popularity of said product and the professionalism of the product's creators.

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Aug 26 2015, 5:51pm)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 26 2015, 5:55pm

Post #14 of 65 (1588 views)
Shortcut
the LotR EE sold just fine with no picture at all // [In reply to] Can't Post

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Aug 26 2015, 5:58pm

Post #15 of 65 (1585 views)
Shortcut
The effectiveness of marketing isn't a matter of opinion. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's measured in sales figures. I'm not sure anyone rational would say anything else.

TheHutt
Gondor

Aug 26 2015, 5:59pm

Post #16 of 65 (1578 views)
Shortcut
Exactly! [In reply to] Can't Post

And TH still does sell well in the UK with barely any picture.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

Susan
Bree

Aug 26 2015, 6:01pm

Post #17 of 65 (1572 views)
Shortcut
Marketing [In reply to] Can't Post

Like some people have said, from a marketing perspective, it makes more sense to have characters that the audience already knows/recognizes/likes. Dain would have looked great on the cover, but I think the general public would have been wondering, who's that dwarf again?. And the general public, more than Tolkien fans, is probably the biggest market for these films.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Aug 26 2015, 6:01pm

Post #18 of 65 (1580 views)
Shortcut
This. [In reply to] Can't Post

I hate to be harsh, but I think people get too hung up on each film's cover art being representative of the book. But these aren't the book. And, like it or not, the characters on the cover art are, in the film, the most important.

Putting all that aside, being underwhelmed by DVD/Blu-ray cover art is not limited to these films. Studios, in general, suck at designing cover art, packaging, etc. The best examples are usually when they stick to the Theatrical Poster Art (and even many of those underwhelm these days). Usually, however, the departments in charge of the home video releases want to put their own stamp on it, and we get photoshopped atrocities. Frown

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Aug 26 2015, 6:02pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 26 2015, 6:03pm

Post #19 of 65 (1565 views)
Shortcut
Depends who's asking and why, I suppose.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Someone was given the job of designing a picture represent the film (and sell it). Someone who might not even have seen the film - they just produce designs according to the brief that's given to them. I presume WB have a marketing department same as publishers do and it would be their choice. So they've picked three main characters Bilbo, Gandalf, Thorin (all good choices, I think) and as many others as fit the design. Whether they're in the book or not won't have been a criterion - they're in the film the design is intended to sell. I'd say Legolas is there because he's instantly recognisable - like Gandalf.

Is the picture fit for purpose? Yes, I think it probably is. I'm betting they know from the sales of all their various merchandise which characters have most crowd appeal. From where they're standing there's nothing wrong with the picture at all.

Around here, of course, the preponderence of elves over dwarves tends not to go down all that well........ !

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 26 2015, 6:04pm

Post #20 of 65 (1562 views)
Shortcut
You're the only one discussing sales figures... [In reply to] Can't Post

The rest of us are discussing our personal opinions on the image. Successful or unsuccessful no-one cares, a bad picture is a bad picture. Many of us enjoy the cover art on our DVDs from an artistic standpoint, which is why steelbooks are so successful (because they're often aesthetically attractive) so we should be allowed to voice our opinions without being told we're wrong because we're not marketing experts.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Aug 26 2015, 6:09pm

Post #21 of 65 (1550 views)
Shortcut
No that's not true. [In reply to] Can't Post

If you look up the thread I think you will see that you are incorrect. The posts (to which I was replying) talk about how "marketable" the image is (and indeed whose opinions we should follow on what makes it more marketable).

That is not discussing it as a matter of individual artistic taste. I work have to be a total nutjob to suggest that only marketing experts can have a taste in pictures, wouldn't I?

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 26 2015, 6:19pm

Post #22 of 65 (1518 views)
Shortcut
They should just put a big picture of Legolas.. [In reply to] Can't Post

A big 3D image of Legolas jumping up the falling rocks. That'd sell well.

balbo biggins
Rohan

Aug 26 2015, 6:30pm

Post #23 of 65 (1484 views)
Shortcut
nothing [In reply to] Can't Post

film gripes aside, this cover simply portrays characters that the film is mostly about.

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 26 2015, 6:59pm

Post #24 of 65 (1430 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

... for my aesthetic feeling the picture could use a mother character to the right or Tauriel moved more to the middle... It seems a bit asymmetrical like this.

But speaking characters... The movie is mostly about those portrayed. So pretty much appropriate. Actually Alfrid would kind of make sense on it as well.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 26 2015, 7:16pm

Post #25 of 65 (1395 views)
Shortcut
Well I'm not basing it on sales [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay let's just throw out the marketing thing - I regret that I ever answered that question. It is my personal opinion that this cover doesn't represent the film very well. I would have PREFERRED something more balanced and a little less Elf-centric. And I was very serious about hoping someone could do a mock-up featuring the characters I mentioned originally, since I don't have Photoshop. Just a suggestion, that's all.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.