Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Dain's Arrival/Dwarven Cavalry (EE Spoilers)

Shagrat
Gondor

Aug 26 2015, 1:46pm

Post #1 of 14 (2070 views)
Shortcut
Dain's Arrival/Dwarven Cavalry (EE Spoilers) Can't Post

So it looks like Dain's arrival will play out differently in the EE from that trailer. But I don't see it being changed quite as radically as people think. I think, near the top of the ridge, he will stop, the two sides will engage in an exchange of missiles and he'll send in his ram-riding cavalry to scare the Elves, who will part ranks to allow them through. Gandalf will probably intervene, and then Dain will ride down to the rock and his conversation will play out as before. They have to have Dain's big introduction, otherwise his role will only be reduced.

My main question is this - what will become of this newly-present Dwarven cavalry? Where will they go? As things stand, they can't charge in with Dain and his infantry, so they'll have to do something else. We will see them again in the battle? We have to see them engaging in battle, surely with Wargs, and being largely wiped out. Otherwise it will introduce yet another thread in the battle which goes unresolved, at least in a satisfactory manner. Also, will the Dwarven artillery come into play at a later stage? Interesting to speculate, but I just hope we see what happens to these ram riders (it will be a great chance to bring in Wargs on a big scale) and that they don't disappear into the background.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Aug 26 2015, 1:55pm

Post #2 of 14 (2010 views)
Shortcut
Even if things turn out [In reply to] Can't Post

to be exactly like how you describe them in your first paragraph, it is a significant alteration from the theatrical edition isn't it?

As far as what happens to the battle rams after that, i really hope we see them engage in the battle with a pack of Wargs.

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

Shagrat
Gondor

Aug 26 2015, 2:00pm

Post #3 of 14 (1983 views)
Shortcut
It is [In reply to] Can't Post

But I think it will be more of an extension rather than a completely different scene to the TC. I still think much of that material will be in there.

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 26 2015, 2:20pm

Post #4 of 14 (1928 views)
Shortcut
A bit of both. [In reply to] Can't Post

I am sure it will be a mix... though some of the scenes might use different takes, as I imagine the temper of the characters being different after they have already shot at each other.

As I said in another post, I hope this new and extended scene will use the whole "Battle for the Mountain" track.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 26 2015, 2:51pm

Post #5 of 14 (1872 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps we will even get Gandalf's "... how shall this day end" line [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been some months since I watched the movie, but as I recall, it wasn't in the film.

Maybe Gandalf brings the armies to a halt before they actually clash, so the Dwarven cavalry doesn't really get past the ridge and run into the Elven army. And perhaps that is when Dain comes riding out front of his cavalry to have his verbal exchange with Gandalf and the Woodland Sprite (I actually rather like the disparaging term that Dain uses for Thranduil, and how Thranduil claims he's "clearly mad" Laugh)

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

(This post was edited by Earl on Aug 26 2015, 2:53pm)

Shagrat
Gondor

Aug 26 2015, 2:56pm

Post #6 of 14 (1851 views)
Shortcut
Use of 'Battle for the Mountain' [In reply to] Can't Post

For a detailed breakdown of that track and how it perhaps should have been used, go here:

http://www.jwfan.com/...page=29#entry1117135

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 26 2015, 3:00pm

Post #7 of 14 (1838 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for that. [In reply to] Can't Post

I had seen a similar test before but lost the link.

Still, the music that was probably originally meant for the armies storming at each other really offers itself for some great battle shots... I really hope it somehow finds its way back into the movie.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Aug 26 2015, 3:06pm)

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 26 2015, 3:04pm

Post #8 of 14 (1825 views)
Shortcut
This! [In reply to] Can't Post

As far as what happens to the battle rams after that, i really hope we see them engage in the battle with a pack of Wargs.

Considering the power of a bighorn sheep - and the battle rams look like an enhanced variant - IMO that would be greatHeart, especially if the rams are armored like the WETA books concept art. It's just one of the choices for dwarves being mounted that I think was genius and completely appropriate for the terrain.

Shagrat
Gondor

Aug 26 2015, 3:07pm

Post #9 of 14 (1809 views)
Shortcut
My problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that the music for Dain's charge into battle is far too low in the film. It's barely audible. It should have been much louder.

brotherbeck
Rivendell

Aug 26 2015, 3:39pm

Post #10 of 14 (1745 views)
Shortcut
Changes To The Battle [In reply to] Can't Post

It is starting to become apparent to me that the reason the battle plays out in such a disjointed and choppy way is that large aspects of it were removed from the theatrical cut. Simplifying Dain's arrival by removing the dwarven cavalry may have indeed saved a little bit of time, but it then requires going in and removing all subsequent shots where they would appear (or severely digitally altering shots at the very least.)

With the changes they made to shorten the overall run time of the film, I feel they removed too much material from the battle and really stripped it of its impact. It is glaringly obvious while watching the film that what is presented on screen in the theatrical cut was not the actual plan for the battle and how it would play out. I know some people say it still hangs together and works as a narrative, but with things like the battle rams just popping up with no good explanation or cutting away from Beorn mid-action after only about 8 seconds it really doesn't work.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 26 2015, 4:56pm

Post #11 of 14 (1615 views)
Shortcut
Rams vs Wargs? [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, THAT could explain the "R" rating - some big dog-thing tearing a Ram apart could be quite upsetting to little children.

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Faleel
Rohan

Aug 26 2015, 5:07pm

Post #12 of 14 (1593 views)
Shortcut
And [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't forget the full The Clouds Burst!

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Aug 26 2015, 8:41pm

Post #13 of 14 (1346 views)
Shortcut
It really could [In reply to] Can't Post

Although, my main interest lies to see the battle rams in action not necessarily against wargs( which would be my most desired choice) but against Orcs as well.

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

xMb
The Shire

Aug 27 2015, 2:58am

Post #14 of 14 (1147 views)
Shortcut
wargs [In reply to] Can't Post

If wargs have to do with why the rams are no longer present (if they werent just digitally removed) maybe it has something to do with the ones we see chasing the chariot?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.