Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
SEE trilogy packshots (open!)

TheHutt
Gondor

Aug 26 2015, 8:20am

Post #1 of 17 (3271 views)
Shortcut
SEE trilogy packshots (open!) Can't Post

Amazon now lists the trilogy boxes for BluRay 2D and DVD, even in an open form!

The Hobbit Trilogy SEE BluRay 2D:

The Hobbit Trilogy SEE DVD:

What one can see:
- The 2D BluRay trilogy is clearly inspired by the Lord of the Rings SEE BluRay boxset. It has a similar design and a magnetic flap with a map on the inside. The single amaray cases have lost the slipcases of the single editions.
- The DVD trilogy is obviously inspired by the Lord of the Rings SEE DVD boxset. It contains the three movies in their respective slipcases in a plain trilogy box.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

(This post was edited by TheHutt on Aug 26 2015, 8:22am)

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Aug 26 2015, 8:31am

Post #2 of 17 (3184 views)
Shortcut
wow [In reply to] Can't Post

Seeing at last the three together this trilogy is gaining its own gravitas like a lot!

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

adt100
Rohan

Aug 26 2015, 12:31pm

Post #3 of 17 (2923 views)
Shortcut
Greeeeeeey... [In reply to] Can't Post

I really don't 'get' (or like) the use of that dark grey for the trilogy boxset. I can understand it for BOFA, but it just seems out of place for the trilogy as a whole. (and what happened to 'there and back again' as a subtitle)

Dcole4
Rohan

Aug 26 2015, 12:38pm

Post #4 of 17 (2907 views)
Shortcut
.... [In reply to] Can't Post

The "There and Back Again" set is likely being saved for the eventual 6-film set. When will that set be released is anyone's guess. Likely not for a year or two at the earliest since they'll likely throw in a few new extras to make it worth the double dip, in the same way that the Star Wars box set threw in deleted scenes, etc. I imagine they'll design it to look like Bilbo's book.

Eldy
Gondor

Aug 26 2015, 1:34pm

Post #5 of 17 (2828 views)
Shortcut
I like 'em [In reply to] Can't Post

I still think the LOTR EE DVD cases were the best (the plain but weathered single color covers with the subtle symbols on each ... so good), but these are really solid. Definitely in the model of LOTR as you note.

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

Eldy
Gondor

Aug 26 2015, 1:36pm

Post #6 of 17 (2824 views)
Shortcut
I don't think TABA is happening [In reply to] Can't Post

In his Facebook note PJ said it might come up for an entire trilogy box set, but I was always pretty sure that was just a face saving move (and probably a necessary one, given the amount of criticism he got over the change to "Battle of the Five Armies", though I think that was a fitting change).

If they add in a deleted scenes reel I might have to buy the six film set regardless of title, though...

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 26 2015, 1:47pm

Post #7 of 17 (2798 views)
Shortcut
I think PJ would have like a There And Back Again box set... [In reply to] Can't Post

But it's not really up to PJ. The marketing team probably thought people would get confused if you give the box set its own subtitle, so they didn't do it. It's out of PJ's hands, really.

Eldy
Gondor

Aug 26 2015, 2:06pm

Post #8 of 17 (2762 views)
Shortcut
That's true too [In reply to] Can't Post

It's easy to forget sometimes given the creative freedom PJ has enjoyed for the most part, but I'm pretty sure you're right that DVD packaging is done by the studio's own divisions.

Dcole4
Rohan

Aug 26 2015, 2:14pm

Post #9 of 17 (2748 views)
Shortcut
Could very well be the case... [In reply to] Can't Post

WB seems to have pinched PJ and co on these films. Understandably since the project was obviously way behind schedule (they only shot up until the hidden door scene when they should have wrapped the two films) and over budget (GDT's years of design and salaried staff work were thrown away mostly). You can understand why they pushed for three films (I highly doubt it was PJ and PB, I think that was a save-face) and likely recommended using Legolas more, as he's a marketable recognizable character.

That said, I do think we're due for some form of re-packaging on this in the near future. It would be very un-business like to do so and what better way to "sucker" fans than to package it in the most "fan-friendly" way i.e. the "TABA" Westmarch Book presentation

adt100
Rohan

Aug 26 2015, 2:28pm

Post #10 of 17 (2720 views)
Shortcut
Maybe, though I'm not convinced! [In reply to] Can't Post

It may simply be the 'marketing bods' at WB that for whatever reasons decided against it. Makes no sense to use it at a later date really.

New Line were in my opinion, very good at not 'double-dipping' on LOTR (with the exception of the strange TC/EE in one dvd they released a year or so after ROTK. I fear WB are slightly less concerned by being seen as 'money-grabbing', though I certainly don't see PJ being like George Lucas in his neverending quest to re-edit and tinker with his films.

Eldy
Gondor

Aug 26 2015, 2:36pm

Post #11 of 17 (2692 views)
Shortcut
RE: the three film split [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm actually inclined to believe PJ on this one. Like I'm sure the studio was thrilled about it and maybe even they were the ones who brought it up, but PJ was clearly having trouble saying goodbye one last time and was trying to squeeze in all sorts of stuff so I doubt the studio had to push hard if they pushed at all. And PJ's a fan of references in movies (look at is overuse of the Wilhelm scream) too. I think much of The Hobbit is his id as a filmmaker bleeding through.

I would expect, if not an "Ultimate Edition", then some sort of six film box set eventually. Maybe something analogous to the LOTR Limited Edition, maybe not, but I agree it would be a strange move by the studio not to do that.

The big question for me is if the studio tries to move ahead on spin-off movies even if PJ is uninterested...

Bombadil
Half-elven

Aug 26 2015, 3:48pm

Post #12 of 17 (2589 views)
Shortcut
Bomby wantzzz to Thank YOU...The Hutt [In reply to] Can't Post

You are an important asset to TORn
& the Tolkien Community Worldwide

Thang you Berry Buch..

bomCrazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 26 2015, 3:52pm

Post #13 of 17 (2581 views)
Shortcut
Are you working on the booklet, Hutt? [In reply to] Can't Post

Any idea what the motif will be for the BoFA EE UK DVD?

TheHutt
Gondor

Aug 26 2015, 5:10pm

Post #14 of 17 (2490 views)
Shortcut
Most definitely! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Any idea what the motif will be for the BoFA EE UK DVD?

The booklet is already in the works.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

balbo biggins
Rohan

Aug 26 2015, 6:34pm

Post #15 of 17 (2415 views)
Shortcut
question [In reply to] Can't Post

although i doubt ill be buying these (3d boxset?) if they dont match in height depth and width exactly to their corresponding lotr boxes i may have to explode!!!

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 26 2015, 6:41pm

Post #16 of 17 (2407 views)
Shortcut
The Blu-ray box set doesn't just match the dimensions, it's the same box... [In reply to] Can't Post

You can compare side by side, WB have just taken the same box for LotR and re-skinned it with hobbit art.

balbo biggins
Rohan

Aug 26 2015, 7:19pm

Post #17 of 17 (2352 views)
Shortcut
duh [In reply to] Can't Post

yes, but obviously i was talking about thr physical version when it sits on the shelf!!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.