The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
DoS EE music cue change

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Aug 24 2015, 6:14am

Post #1 of 5 (1102 views)
Shortcut
DoS EE music cue change Can't Post

While working on my fan edit, which requires replaying the same moments over and over again, I noticed something I somehow missed. I'm not sure if this has been brought up before. A musical cue was changed in the DoS EE.

When Bilbo and the dwarves leave Lake-town, there's that first shot of them in the boat moving away from the camera, and then there's a closeup of Thorin (with his fancy red Lake-town cloak). In the TE the Thorin/Erebor/dwarf theme #42 plays when it cuts to Thorin, but in the EE the theme plays when it cuts to the wideshot of Erebor.

It seems they shifted the music by a few seconds. I wonder if this was a creative choice, or if it was done simply because they wanted the music to end in a specific spot at the beginning of the extended desolation scene. It works either way, but I think I prefer where the music was in the TE.

seelbach
The Shire

Aug 24 2015, 6:31am

Post #2 of 5 (1074 views)
Shortcut
I think the change is circumstancial.. [In reply to] Can't Post

The TE has music carefully cued with the film. Extending scenes results in music and film cues misaligning. In the case of long additions, new music was probably done(at least in LOTR there was new score added).

This is one of the reasons I keep the TEs around.
In LOTR I noticed this.. in Fellowship when Lurtz targets Boromir the music is an ominous drum and it is really effective. That got lost in the EE.

TheHutt
Gondor

Aug 24 2015, 12:53pm

Post #3 of 5 (904 views)
Shortcut
Also... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the SEE of FotR has Shore's music under Gandalf singing "The Road goes ever on" during his first appearance, whereas the TE has just the ambience sounds.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

Faleel
Rohan

Aug 24 2015, 6:01pm

Post #4 of 5 (754 views)
Shortcut
That [In reply to] Can't Post

That is because it was replaced with an extended replacement with brass and choir overtop the "drum" (which is actually a a guy banging on a hanging metal plate and an anvil).

Gandy
Bree

Aug 25 2015, 4:16pm

Post #5 of 5 (596 views)
Shortcut
eagles [In reply to] Can't Post

The incredible Eagle's cue was butchered in the TE. The cue is already short, and they abruptly cut it oddly. It was horrible just like Beorn's entire brief appearance. On the score, it is about 22 seconds and they poorly cut it in half. Not even a smooth cut. It is the best 22 seconds of music in the movie. And they butchered it. The whole Beorn scene was a mess.

Same thing happened to The Forest River piece in DOS.

Hope they fix the Eagle music at least. Lots of bad music editing in this trilogy. Hope there is a great original recordings set with detailed notes like LOTR.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.