The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
"In Remembrance of the Fallen" Part II

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 24 2015, 12:53am

Post #1 of 8 (3053 views)
Shortcut
"In Remembrance of the Fallen" Part II Can't Post

This is the second part of my fanfic - here is a link to Part I: http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=867125;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

In Part II Thorin learns what happened to Fili and the Arkenstone - and makes plans to recover them both! Plus, we learn a little more about who survived the Battle, and what they are doing for the 20th Anniversary celebration. Please let me know what you think!

In Remembrance of the Fallen

Part II – Friends and Allies

Bilbo and Gandalf walked slowly toward the outskirts of Dale, unsure of what to do next. “Thorin will not be pleased to see you,” Bilbo finally acknowledged, “and after this he won’t be pleased to see me, either. I don’t know what to tell him.”

“I suggest you tell him as little as possible.” Gandalf found a bench to sit on. “I’m afraid I can’t go with you to Erebor, I must stay here and try to reason with Bard. Perhaps I can persuade him to release Fili, although I fear that is unlikely.”

“I could get him out,” Bilbo offered.

“How, exactly? We don’t know where Thranduil is holding him.”

Bilbo shrugged. “It’s not a problem. I’ll find him and free him, just like I did before.”

“No.” Gandalf shook his head. “You need to get to Erebor, and tell Thorin that Fili is staying to help Bard. Explain that Thranduil will provide troops to safeguard the Mountain until Dain arrives.” Leaning closer he added, “Do not tell Thorin about the Arkentsone. Let him believe it is still missing. I will do my best to reacquire the stone, and Fili’s freedom. Keep Thorin focused on defending Erebor.”

“You know he hasn’t been himself lately.” Bilbo shook his head. “He’s not defending Erebor, he’s defending the gold.”

“Yes,” Gandalf agreed, “which means he won’t leave the Mountain to rescue Fili. That should preserve this alliance.”

Bilbo closed his eyes tightly, trying to comprehend what he just heard. “You want to use Thorin’s dragon-sickness to preserve this alliance? Gandalf, I don’t think I can maintain this level of deception. And what about Kili? You know he’ll want to go after his brother.”

Gandalf nodded. “Yes, he will want to – you must find a way to stop him.”

“How am I supposed to do that? I can’t…lie to him. His brother is a prisoner.”

“I suggest you try to keep him focused on Thorin. Now, you need to get back. I will do what I can to free Fili.”

“This isn’t a good plan.”

“No, it isn’t.” Gandalf looked at the ground while tapping his staff. “But it’s all we can do.”

“Right.” Bilbo took a deep breath, and stiffened his back. “I will see you again, soon.” The Hobbit left quickly, wondering what exactly he would say to Thorin.

Thorin paced the gold floor, his head pounding harder than ever. Why couldn’t he focus? He realized he needed to prepare for the Orcs, but his mind was filled with so many words – words from others.

“This is Thorin, son of Thrain, son of Thror!”

“We are in fact outnumbered.”

“You gave your word – does that mean nothing?”

“Your father loved you.”

“A sickness lies upon that treasure – a sickness which drove your grandfather mad.”

“I am not my grandfather.”

So many voices, talking all at once. Why couldn’t he think? The floor beneath him shimmered, and for a brief minute he thought he saw the dragon slithering under his feet. He slipped and fell to his knees. The gold floor rippled as if it were still liquid; he felt weightless, and then the floor rose around him like a wave, ready to swallow him the way it had swallowed Smaug. Thorin struggled to his feet, but he had no traction. The walls flared up around him and he couldn’t outrun the wave as it crashed overhead.

“He asked me to tell you he loved you.”

“And I loved him,” Thorin said aloud. “My father.” He remembered his father’s last words, “By my life, he shall not take my son.” The wave of gold was gone, the floor was once again solid, with no trace of the dragon. Thorin rose slowly, determined, his head cleared of all voices save his own. As he returned to his Company of Dwarves, there was one clear purpose in his life now: His father would be avenged!

Kili had been working with Ori as Thorin instructed, deciding that a crossbow would be closer to the slingshot Ori was used to. It was a good decision, as Ori hit the target four out of five times. He could hear Thorin approaching. “Keep practicing, you’re doing great.” He turned and walked toward his uncle.

“He is doing well?”

“Yes, very well.” Kili noticed something had changed. “Thorin, how are you feeling?”

“I am better. We must make plans for when Dain arrives – there must be a way for his troops to enter. The wall was a temporary measure. Come, we must rejoin the others – where is your brother?”

“I don’t know,” Kili replied, “I haven’t seen him in some time.”

“Well find him, and bring him to the entryway. We must get ready.” Kili nodded and left to find Fili. Thorin then went to find Dwalin and the others.

Bilbo scrambled up the rope, only to find several Dwarves hauling a huge bell up to the ceiling. “We can use this to break through the wall when Dain arrives,” Thorin explained. “But we’ll still need barriers that can be moved outside the gate.”

“Bifur and I have been working on the catapults,” Bofur reported. “We’ve got two of them – they can be pushed outside very quickly if need be.”

“No, they will be more effective if they are up high,” Thorin explained.

Balin and Gloin were putting together some planks. “It’s a makeshift bridge,” he explained, “for Dain’s troops, just in case they need to fall back inside the Mountain.”

“He should be bringing some ballistas,” Thorin pointed out, “so your bridge will need to be strong enough to support them.”

“What’s happening?” Bilbo looked around confused.

“Where have you been?” Thorin walked up to the Hobbit, scowling.

“I, uh,” Bilbo stammered, “I went to talk to Gandalf.”

“I see.” Thorin was clearly angry, but not as angry as Bilbo expected. “So, what did he have to say?”

Before Bilbo could answer, Kili came running up. “Thorin, I can’t find him. I’ve looked everywhere, but I just can’t find him.”

“Are you looking for Fili? He’s not here,” Bilbo confessed, “he’s in Dale.” He backed up a bit as Thorin spun around, the scowl growing more menacing.

“Dale?” Kili ran up to the Hobbit quickly. “What’s he doing there?”

Bilbo swallowed nervously. “We made a deal with Bard and Thranduil. They won’t attack us, and in fact Thranduil has agreed to help us until Dain arrives.”

Kili didn’t care about the deal. “Why is Fili in Dale?”

Bilbo didn’t answer – he couldn’t lie to anyone, least of all Thorin. But Thorin didn’t need an explanation. “He is their prisoner, is he not?”

“Thorin,” Bilbo wrung his hands, “I’m so sorry. We took some gold to Bard, and promised Thranduil he could have the diamonds, but that wasn’t enough for the Elven King. Gandalf is trying to reason with them – I don’t think Bard wants to do this, but he needs Thranduil’s help to defend Dale.”

“What?” Kili was furious. “Thorin, we’ve got to get him back! We’ve got to go….”

Thorin cut him off. “We cannot leave the mountain unguarded.”

“Fine,” Kili replied, “let me take a few dwarves – Dwalin and Nori, and Bilbo.”

“Me?”

“Yes, you know where they’re holding him, don’t you?”

“I cannot spare them,” Thorin snapped. “Kili, get some of the diamonds, a good amount. We have no choice but to pay him.”

“Thorin, it won’t work.” Taking a deep breath Bilbo added, “Thranduil has the Arkenstone.”

Thorin whirled around, a terrifying anger crossing his face. “The Arkenstone – how?” He realized what must have happened. “You’ve had it all this time?”

Bilbo felt both shame and fear welling inside him. “I found it some time ago,” he confessed, “but I was afraid to give it to you. You were changed, and I feared the Arkenstone would only make things worse. I offered it to Thranduil in hope of getting Fili released, but he decided to keep both. Thorin, I am so sorry ….”

“Get out of my sight.” Thorin swore in Kuzdul as he walked away from the Hobbit.

“What about my brother?” Kili stormed after Thorin – he was the only living soul in Erebor who could do so. “Thorin, we can’t just leave him there!”

“And we won’t!” Thorin forced himself to calm down. Looking at his nephew he added, “But we must wait until Dain arrives, then we can force Thranduil to give up both.”

“Thorin, I will not leave my brother behind! I’ll go by myself if I have to!”

“You will stay here,” Thorin ordered. “I’ve no reason to believe that Thranduil would not take you hostage as well. I will keep at least one of you safe. We will get your brother back, I swear it, and the Elven King will pay for his treachery. But we must prepare, and I need you here – you must help us defend Erebor!” Thorin laid his hand on Kili’s shoulder and leaned closer. “It’s what Fili would want. You know this. Swear to me you will not leave, and I swear to you we will get him back. Together! Kili, swear you will stay until then.”

Kili felt hot tears in his eyes. He bit his lip, torn between trusting Thorin to keep his word, and leaving for Dale this instant. He looked in Thorin’s eyes and saw the same worry and frustration that he felt. Finally he relented. “I swear that I will not leave Erebor tonight. But tomorrow, I will see my brother again.”

“Yes,” Thorin nodded, “when Dain arrives we will see Fili again.”

Fili was taken to a room in a tower high above the streets of Dale. A very secure room, it had but one door and one window, from which he could see the Lonely Mountain. It was small, but considerably more comfortable than Thranduil’s dungeon, likely a child’s room judging from the size of the bed. After trying the door and finding it locked, he began searching the room for anything that could be used as a weapon. A bookcase held nothing but a few books, and a trunk in the corner had some old clothes and wooden toys – definitely a child’s room. He threw a toy against a wall, breaking it into pieces. So now he was acting like a child. You’re letting your anger get the best of you, he chided himself. Think! He pushed the bed under the window to get a better look at the streets below. He had to believe a rescue would be coming – if not from Thorin, then possibly Kili and Bilbo. He tried opening the window, but the pane would not move. He calculated that he was more than 20 feet above the streets. He also noticed a main street that ran from the entrance of Dale to the center of the city, right under his window. He jumped off the bed and returned to the toy box, finding some colored chalk. This must work, he thought as he started to draw.

Bilbo hurried to the room he had been staying in and gathered his things. He saw no point in staying – Thorin would never forgive him for losing the Arkenstone. He didn’t know if he could steal the Arkenstone back, but he could rescue Fili. He would wait until nightfall, sneak back into Dale and free the Dwarf before the Elven King knew what was happening. And then he supposed he’d stay and fight with Gandalf, on whichever side the Wizard ended up with. He’d prefer to fight with Bard, so hopefully that is where Gandalf will be. He cautiously left his room, listening for the others. None were in sight – perhaps they were having dinner. Bilbo was very hungry, but didn’t dare join them or even ask for a small meal. Instead he walked almost noiselessly to the main gate, parked himself in a corner and waited for nightfall.

“Since when has my counsel counted for so little,” Gandalf complained. “What do you think I’m trying to do here?”

“I think you’re trying to save your Dwarvish friends, and I admire your loyalty, but it does not dissuade me from my cause.” Thranduil sat back in his chair, confident that he had all the cards. “I did send scouts to look for this Orc army, and they found no sign of them.” He looked toward Bard. “Tomorrow we will trade the Arkenstone and the Dwarf for what we are owed. After that, the Dwarves can do whatever they like with their Kingdom.”

Gandalf looked to the Bargeman. “Do you truly agree with this? You must know that Thorin will hold a grudge against Dale.”

Bard looked down, shaking his head. He simply could not go against Thranduil, not if Orcs were really on their way. “I would have preferred Thorin honor his word to begin with. He is not the only one that can hold a grudge. Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to see to my children.” He walked out of Thranduil’s tent, knowing as a father what Thorin would be thinking.

Gandalf followed him. “Bard, the Orcs are coming. I cannot explain where they are, but I would not lie about such a thing.”

“I believe you,” Bard answered, “but I can’t go against Thranduil. I’ll need his help to defend my people. I just wish we could all work together on this.”

“You could gain Thorin’s cooperation if you’d let his nephew go.”

“You know I cannot do that. I’m sorry.” Bard quickly returned to the main square of town, where Percy was organizing the archers. “Percy, I’ve received word that Orcs could be coming this way.”

“Orcs?” Percy looked around nervously. “Some Orcs ran through Laketown right before the Dragon attacked.”

“Yes, Bain told me. Listen, we need to get everyone away from the lower part of Dale. Have the women and children go to the Great Hall, and deploy the archers around that area. We should expect the worst, but let us pray for the best.”

“Yes my Lord,” Percy nodded.

Bard shuddered – he didn’t really care for being called “Lord,” but knew he was now the chosen leader of the Survivors. Worry about that later, he told himself as he went to find his children. Sigrid was near the fire, stirring a pot of stew. “Oh, you’ve got dinner started.”

“Yes,” she replied, “there’s plenty of stew, and Tilda got some bread earlier.”

“Oh, that’s very good. Sigrid, listen, I need you to do something for me. They are holding one of the dwarves hostage, in a tower just to the east of the Great Hall. I need you to take him some food, and this.” He handed her a narrow dagger. “Hide this in your boot.”

“You want me to give him a weapon? But why?”

“Because we shouldn’t be holding him prisoner.”

“Then why are we?”

Bard sighed. “King Thranduil wants some jewels that Thorin has. He thinks we will also be given what’s owed us. But Fili brought some gold and promised more, and I think he’s an honorable Dwarf that will keep his word.

Sigrid wrinkled her brow. “Then why not just release him?”

“Because I don’t dare cross the Elven King. I don’t have the key, but hopefully Fili can use the dagger to pick the lock and free himself. There’s more,” he said before she could ask another question. “Gandalf says an army of Orcs is coming. I need to make sure everyone is safe, so after you take him some food go to the Great Hall. Bain and Tilda are already there. You need to stay there until I come for you. There will likely be fighting tomorrow anyway. We’ve heard Thorin has sent for reinforcements from the Iron Hills. I wouldn’t be surprised if Thorin comes here to get his nephew, that’s why I want to free him as soon as possible. Will you do this for me?”

“Of course I will, father.” Sigrid slipped the dagger into her boot, then rose to get a tray together to take to Fili.

Bilbo had nodded off while waiting for nightfall. He was awakened by the sound of not so quiet footsteps. He jerked awake just as Kili hurried past, carrying a rope. “Kili,” he squeaked, causing the Dwarf to spin around in surprise.

“Bilbo!” He breathed a sigh of relief. “I was afraid you were one of the others.”

Bilbo realized Kili was fully armed. “What are you doing?”

“I’m going to get my brother.” Kili started to tie off the rope. “I promised Thorin I wouldn’t go after him today, but in a few minutes it will be tomorrow.”

“So why are you going now?”

“Because Thorin will try to stop me.” Kili threw the rope over the wall. “He believes the Elven King will take me hostage as well.”

“And he’s probably right,” Bilbo pointed out.

“I don’t care,” Kili replied sharply. “I will not hide behind this wall of stone while my brother is in such danger.”

“I understand how you feel, but you’ll do Fili no good if you also get captured.”

Kili snorted. “And tell me, Bilbo, what are your plans?” He kicked Bilbo’s backpack. “Are you leaving us?”

Bilbo shrugged. “Thorin told me to leave.”

“And where are you going?”

“To find Gandalf,” Bilbo said, “and free your brother.”

“Good!” Kili picked up the rope. “You can come with me.”

“No, Kili, Thorin is right. You need to stay here. I think I would have a better chance of getting back into Dale alone. If I’m caught, I’ll just say Thorin threw me out and I’m looking for Gandalf. But if you are caught, Thranduil will know why you’ve come, and he’ll have another hostage.” Bilbo patted Kili’s arm. “Please, Kili, let me do this alone. I freed all of you before, and I can do it again. Trust me.”

“Can we trust you?” Bilbo turned toward that familiar deep voice. Thorin stood at the bottom of the stairs leading up to the gate. The King’s robe he had been wearing was gone, replaced by light chainmail over dark clothes. He began to walk up toward the Hobbit. “This was truly your plan? To go back into Dale and rescue Fili?”

“Yes, and steal back the Arkenstone if possible.”

“Thranduil will have the Arkenstone with him. It would be very impressive if you could steal that away from him.” He looked at Kili disapprovingly. “You promised me you’d wait!” Kili looked at his Uncle, trying to be defiant but feeling guilty. “Have you nothing to say?”

“I promised I wouldn’t leave today, Uncle, but I swear I will see Fili tomorrow.”

“Well, that would depend on our Burglar.” He stepped up to Bilbo and looked down at him. “Steal back my nephew first, then the Arkenstone if you can. But Fili comes first. Dain should arrive tomorrow. If Fili isn’t back in Erebor by then we’ll go straight to Dale and take him by force if need be.”

“And if the Orcs come?” Bilbo looked at Thorin nervously. “What then?”

“Then we kill any Orc that gets in our way.” Thorin grabbed Kili and dragged him down the stairs. “Get going, Bilbo!”

“Right.” Bilbo pulled his backpack on and slid down the rope.

Bilbo followed Ori into a wing near the Great Kitchens, where Bombur worked. The Fat Dwarf was busy sampling different cheeses. He was even bigger than before, and his beard was now braided into two coils. “Bombur,” Ori said cheerfully, “look who’s here!”

Bombur turned around, a bit of cheese clenched between his teeth. He couldn’t speak, but he could waddle over to the Hobbit and give him a gentle hug. “Bombur, it’s good to see you – you’re looking well!” Bombur chuckled and nodded while he chewed “I, uh, actually thought I’d see Bofur as well,” Bilbo confessed, “is he around?” Bombur nodded again, but before he could speak his brother came up quickly behind the Hobbit.

“Bilbo, I cannot believe it! You came!” Bilbo turned and saw a very different Dwarf. The funny hat was gone, replaced by a small round cap with an insignia in the middle. His hair was much longer, braided and secured with gold clips, which also decorated his long mustache and beard. His rich robe fluttered behind him as he ran up to the Hobbit. Bilbo found himself crushed between the two brothers. He gasped for air and waived his arms frantically before he was released. “Look at you,” Bofur exclaimed, “you haven’t changed one bit, not one bit!”

“But you have, I can see.” Bilbo patted Bombur’s huge tummy, adding “And you both look like you’re doing quite well for yourselves.”

“Yes, we are. Let me show you around, I think Bombur’s still selecting the cheeses for tonight’s dinner.” Bofur clasped the Hobbit around his shoulder as they walked. “Everyone’s going to be there, you can meet Bombur’s wife and children, and my own fiancée as well!”

Bilbo stopped in surprise. “You’re getting married?”

“Yeah, hard to believe, isn’t it?” Bofur smiled as he spoke. “Oh, she’s a lovely dwarf-maid from the Iron Hills – a bit younger than me, I admit, but I loved her the moment I saw her, and she felt the same way. It’s magical!” He turned Bilbo to face him directly. “Oh, I hope you can stay for the wedding! It’ll be in a few weeks, when her folks arrive.”

“Well, we’ll see.” Bilbo wasn’t sure how long he could stay. “So, how did you meet her?”

“Oh, she came over with a group of workers for the mill. You see, the fields between Erebor and Dale were cleared to grow wheat, so Bombur and I set up a grinding mill near the waterfall. And we’ve worked out a great deal with them, grinding their wheat for a percentage of the finished grain. Now, most of it goes to the kitchens for bread and such, but about 10 percent goes to brewing ale, and a very fine ale, I might add. Anyway, I made enough last year to hire some additional workers for the brewery, and, well, there she was! My own true love, who’d have thought!”

“Well, congratulations, Bofur!” The Hobbit smiled broadly. “And I can’t wait to try your very fine ale.”

“Oh, it’ll be served at tonight’s dinner,” Bofur reminded him. “Everyone will be there – and you’ll get to meet Bombur’s entire family. Even his sister-in-law will be there.”

“Sister-in-law?” Bilbo shook his head. “Just how big is his family?”

“Well, he has three sons, his wife Betina and her sister Jerusa. She’s been with them a long time. She’s like a sister to Bombur.”

“So, five then.” Bilbo smiled. “Well, I’ve met Emundur. Ori said he’s the oldest?”

“Oldest son,” Bofur explained, “but Jerusa is older, in fact she’s married too.”

Bilbo nodded. “And I’ll be meeting her husband tonight as well? That’s lovely! Is he anyone I know?”

“Oh yes,” Bofur beamed. “Fili! Can you believe it? My brother’s sister-in-law is married to the Crown Prince of Erebor!”

“Fili.” Bilbo sighed. He wasn’t sure if Fili would want to see him.

Fili was drawing the Durin family crest on the window when he heard a knock on his door. He barely had time to jump off the bed and stuff the chalk in his pocket before the door opened. “Sigrid? This is a surprise.”

Sigrid walked in nervously, trying to decide how she would give him the dagger. The Elf guarding Fili insisted that the door be left open. “I brought you some food,” she said as she looked around the room. “Where should I put it?”

Fili shrugged. “I suppose on top of the chest would be good.” He stepped behind her and retrieved a footstool. “I don’t actually have a chair, but I think this will work.”

“Oh, can I borrow that for a second?” Sigrid turned her back to the door (and the Guard) and propped her foot on the footstool. “I need to fix my boot,” she said as she pulled up her hemline.

Fili was embarrassed and turned away. He did not understand what she was doing. She cleared her throat, then cleared it louder. He turned sharply, only then seeing the dagger. “Oh,” he said loudly before he remembered the guard. Thinking quickly he added, “That stew is one of my favorites. Thank you for bringing it.” He took the dagger and hid it up his sleeve.

“You’re most welcome.” She smiled, feeling relieved that her mission was successful. “Well, I must get to the Great Hall. Father is sending all women and children there, in case the Orcs actually come.”

“Your father is very wise to do so,” Fili assured her. “It is the safest place for you to be.” She turned and left, and as the Elf closed the door he called out, “Thank you again for everything.” He pulled the footstool up to the chest and ate while examining the dagger. He could possibly pick the lock with it, but the Elf guarding the door would know. Perhaps he could use it to pry the window open. He looked at the bedding – the sheet could be torn into strips and tied together. It would take time, but once the streets are dark and quiet, he should be able to escape.

Bilbo took no chances this time. He slipped the ring on as he approached the outskirts of Dale, moving silently as he searched the town. Most of the buildings were empty, which he thought was strange – where were all the people? He finally overheard Percy telling an elderly man to join the women and children in the Great Hall. Bilbo thought it likely that Fili would be held nearby, probably under guard. He wasn’t sure how he would get past the guard yet, but believed he would figure something out when the time came. He also hoped that Gandalf would be near the Great Hall. He desperately wanted to talk to the Wizard.

As he approached the Great Hall he noticed the Durin family crest in a window. “Fili,” he whispered as he hurried toward the house. The street he walked on curved around as it climbed upward. Bilbo realized that he could jump down onto a lower roof – perhaps if he kept walking, he’d be able to jump onto Fili’s roof! He moved along and sure enough, the street curved back around the house Fili was likely held inside. He slipped his pack off before he jumped, landing on the roof on the back of the house. He had to scramble over the peak and slide back down, catching the gutter with his feet to keep from sliding completely off the roof! “Don’t look down,” he whispered as he inched his way over to the window. Cautiously reaching out, he rapped the window pane.

Fili was busy tearing sheets as quietly as possible when he heard the noise. He looked out the window, but Bilbo still had the ring on. Seeing nothing, he turned back to his work. Bilbo rapped again, a bit louder this time. Fili jumped back to the window, peering outside. “Who is there,” he whispered, “Kili?”

“It’s me, Bilbo.”

“Bilbo? I can’t see you.”

“Oh, right.” He pulled the ring off quickly, then waived his hand in front of the window. “I’ve come to help you escape.”

“I am working on that myself. Where is my brother?”

“Back in Erebor. He wanted to come with me, but Thorin made him promise to wait until Dain arrives.”

Fili sighed with relief. “That’s good – he doesn’t need to get himself caught.”

“That was very clever,” Bilbo pointed out, “drawing the Durin crest. Made it a lot easier to find you. Now I just need to get you out.”

“No, you need to go find the Arkenstone.” Fili was adamant. “Thorin will want the Arkenstone back.”

“I’m following Thorin’s orders,” Bilbo protested. “He said to get you first. I think he may have overcome the dragon-sickness.”

Fili was surprised by this news. “Are you sure?”

“Yes, he was very clear. I am to get you first, then the Arkenstone if possible. And I know that if you aren’t back by the time Dain arrives, he’s coming to take you by force if necessary.”

“And what about the Orc army? He needs to stay put and defend Erebor.”

“Then let me help you escape.”

“I said, I can free myself. Listen, Sigrid told me that all the women and children have been moved to the Great Hall. Bard may be there also. Perhaps he knows where the Arkenstone is. See what you can find out.”

“Are you sure this is what you want?” Bilbo didn’t really want to leave the young Prince behind.

“Yes I’m sure,” Fili repeated. “Don’t worry about me, I’ll be out of here soon enough. Now go.”

“Alright,” Bilbo finally agreed, “I’ll go see what I can learn, but then I’m coming back here, just in case you need my help.”

“Very well, Master Baggins. And good luck to you.” Fili stepped away from the window, returning to the torn sheets.

“Good luck to you, too.” Bilbo put the ring back on before he scrambled back up the roof. He could see what he guessed was the Great Hall just a few houses over, and that he could hop from rooftop to rooftop in order to get there. He also wished he hadn’t abandoned his backpack. “Hopefully it will still be there,” he muttered as he jumped to the next roof.

The Great Hall was packed with people. Hilda-Bianca was trying to help organize the families, keeping the children with their mothers. Bain and Sigrid were also helping the injured get settled as comfortably as possible. Bilbo looked around, but didn’t see Bard anywhere, so he crept closer to Bain. “Here,” Bain said as he handed a blanket to a man with a broken leg. His wife took the blanket and spread it over him, but he insisted she take it. “I’m sorry,” Bain said, “but that’s the only one I could find. I’ll keep looking,” he added as he turned away. He hurried to Sigrid. “Any luck?”

“I didn’t find any more. I’d go look in other houses, but Da said to stay put.”

Tilda appeared at that moment. “Where is Da?”

“He’s still talking to the Elven King,” Sigrid explained.

“Alright.” Bain decided to take charge. “You two stay here. I’ll ask Da if we can search for bedding.” He started to leave, then hesitated. “Tilda, stay here! Sigrid, keep an eye on her!”

“Who put you in charge,” Tilda grumbled.

“I’m in charge because I’m the oldest! Now stay put,” Bain snapped before he turned away. Bilbo followed him closely, dodging around bodies as best he could. A number of men stood nearby, ready to defend the Great Hall. Bain walked quickly past them, crossing over to a street that ran next to a high wall. Bard was giving some last minute instructions to a group of archers when Bain approached. He stopped mid-sentence when he saw his son. “Are there any more questions? Very good, now try to get some sleep. We’ll all be getting up at sunrise.” As the archers went inside a nearby building Bard walked quickly to his son. “Is something wrong? Are your sisters all right?”

“They’re fine, Da,” Bain reported, “but there’s not enough bedding in the Great Hall. Sigrid and I wanted to search some of the other homes, see if we could find anymore.”

Bard sighed. “No,” he shook his head, “it’s too dark, and I need to know where you and your sisters are. Just – try to keep the fires going. I’ll be up in a bit, but I need to speak to Thranduil once more. And then I’ll come up and we’ll see what we can do, all right?” Bain nodded reluctantly and left slowly. Bilbo followed the Bowman as he walked farther down the streets of Dale, until he reached Thranduil’s tent. Two Elf Guards stood near the entrance, and Gandalf sat on a nearby bench. “Well,” Bard spoke, “I am surprised to see you are still here.”

“And where else would I be?” The grey pilgrim rose, leaning heavily on his staff. “There is little point in leaving, and you will need my help tomorrow.”

“I’m sure I’ll need all the help I can get. Where is Thranduil?”

“He is resting, as you should be.” Bard nodded, but looked too conflicted to get any rest. Gandalf realized Bard was troubled. “Is there something you wish to tell me, privately?”

Bard nodded as he approached the Wizard. “I sent Fili some dinner,” and he came closer before whispering, “and a means of escape. I cannot free him directly, but he should know who it came from.”

“That was a risk,” Gandalf said quietly, “but one that should help your relations with Erebor, assuming we survive the Orcs! Now, Thranduil plans to take most of his army tomorrow, but has promised to leave a garrison here. You are planning to go with him as well?”

“Yes, and I’ll be taking about 50 men with me. I cannot spare any more than that.”

“Well, that should be plenty.” Gandalf smiled at Bard. “And I will go with you tomorrow.”

“I appreciate that.” Bard turned to go back to the Great Hall. “I must return to my children and get some rest. Why don’t you come along?” Gandalf thanked him as he slowly rose. They continued to talk as they walked up the streets.

Bilbo stood quite still during this exchange, waiting until they were out of earshot before working his way to the back of King Thranduil’s tent. He found an edge that wasn’t tied down and slipped underneath. The Elven King was stretched across a white rug covered with pillows. He appeared to be sleeping. Bilbo moved quietly around the tent, looking around the large chair that served as a throne, and on the tables set up for both planning and refreshments, but the Arkenstone was not there. He then noticed two long swords propped up in a corner, along with silvery armor. He crept over quietly, trying to see if the Arkenstone could be hidden there, but accidentally knocked over one of the swords. Thranduil sat bolt upright, while both guards charged inside. Bilbo had to dive out of the way as all three Elves huddled around the fallen sword. He worked his way over to the pillows, but still couldn’t find the Arkenstone. He then dashed out the front of the tent while he was still able. “Where could that confounded stone be,” he grumbled to himself. He felt quite miserable, being unable to find the Arkenstone, and being turned away by Fili. Worst of all, he hadn’t eaten any dinner! “Ah, well,” he mumbled. He returned to the house Fili was being held in, and noticed the window was still closed. He ran back up the street and located his pack. Cold, tired and hungry, he decided to look for Gandalf in the Great Hall.

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

(This post was edited by Kilidoescartwheels on Aug 24 2015, 12:55am)

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Aug 24 2015, 2:06pm

Post #2 of 8 (2979 views)
Shortcut
A wonderful fanfic yet again Kilidoescartwheels. [In reply to] Can't Post

It is really good. Smile
I can´t wait for the last part.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 24 2015, 3:20pm

Post #3 of 8 (2965 views)
Shortcut
Bofur's girlfriend from the Iron Hills? [In reply to] Can't Post

Forgive me; I'm not sure that this should have come about until after re-taking of Erebor. I just don't think that there would have been any regular traffic between the Blue Mountains and the Iron Hills between the time that Smaug occupied the Lonely Mountain and the Battle of Five Armies. I don't think that there is anything strange about Bofur having a fiancée, but it seems more likely that she would be from the Ered Luin. I like that you have Bombur married with children; and that, out of all of the companions, he has a large family.

The One Ring Roleplaying Game posits that Bofur has had a wife for some while before the Quest of Erebor, giving him a son, Bofri, who in TA 2948 is involved in an effort to re-open the Old Forest Road through Mirkwood.

I can't comment too much on the main story. I'm not a huge fan on alternate takes; accepting some of Jackson's changes is tough enough.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Aug 24 2015, 3:21pm)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 24 2015, 4:55pm

Post #4 of 8 (2955 views)
Shortcut
That happens in the present [In reply to] Can't Post

We start with the 20th anniversary, and then go back in time to the Battle. When Bofur is telling Bilbo about his engagement, that is during the 20th anniversary celebration. Sorry that was a bit confusing.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 24 2015, 4:57pm

Post #5 of 8 (2954 views)
Shortcut
Thank you again! [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

Starglass
Rivendell

Aug 24 2015, 5:40pm

Post #6 of 8 (2949 views)
Shortcut
I like it! [In reply to] Can't Post

So I've come into your fanfic a bit late, but this one really caught my attention. I really like the way you explore some of the "what ifs" from the original (movie) story. I think you did a good job with the characterization too.

Definitely looking forward to the next installment! Smile

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 24 2015, 6:38pm

Post #7 of 8 (2935 views)
Shortcut
I had forgotton. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks. I did not go back and review your first chapter. I had forgotten the details of your set-up! Regular travel between Erebor and the Blue Mountains makes all the difference.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 24 2015, 7:10pm

Post #8 of 8 (2926 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I really appreciate it!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.