The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
My fan art introduction post

CFGriffith
The Shire

Aug 22 2015, 1:40pm

Post #1 of 13 (3536 views)
Shortcut
My fan art introduction post Can't Post

Hello all! I posted an intro yesterday in that section, but thought I would post something here to share since I draw fan art. I'm also using links, as it's just easier for me to share this way right now. These are all in my deviantART gallery, and I also post sketches and in-progress images in a sketch section:

The main deviantART page
dA sketches/in-progress

As I mentioned in my intro, I finally became a fan of Middle Earth in 2013 thanks to my husband's interest in The Hobbit and it also got me back to drawing again after a very long break. I'd mentioned that I'm focusing on The Hobbit movie first, but eventually would like to draw the book version as well as scenes from The Silmarillion that interest me (currently very slowly reading and studying that, for art notes). All art in my deviantART are Hobbit movie though -- but I had mentioned I sometimes blend the book, and someone was curious what I meant by that.

Before all three movies were out, some details we didn't know how they'd look or if they'd be there, like Roac the Raven (sorry, I'm better at the proper text markings on my iPad than desktop Wink ). I went ahead and drew him as described in the book... old and bald. And I prefer to draw him that way still.

Thorin and Roac the Raven
Roac the Raven pencil studies

I also like reading "between the lines," so to speak... Carc's name is mentioned, so I wanted to draw Thror with Carc:
King Thror and Carc the Raven

There will be scenes I just prefer more from the book (golden armor during charge, battle stuff that's different, possibly death scene, funeral... things like that), so I might use them instead (haven't gotten there yet, I'm slower these days). I enjoy both the movie and the book, but there are parts of both I also dislike, so it's fun to use a little of both to consider for a drawing.

I also get hung up on scenes from the movie or that likely could have happened in either (but I stick to using the actors as the characters for the most part right now -- a lot of these we frame and hang up, yay for having both of us loving the same things! -- so I want things to "match" a bit together and tell a story on our walls). My husband and I both loved the DoS EE with a cloaked Thorin stomping around Bree, so I've drawn something for him based on him traveling. I also wondered how Thorin must have felt after talking with Gandalf at the end of that scene, so I drew that:
Thorin in Bree

or this one was a blast to draw too:
Gloin glancing at his locket while on night watch

And thanks to playing LOTRO, I'm also obsessed with Ered Luin, so I ponder "possible" stories there sometimes:
Thorin and Pack Goat Traveling

Most of my art is just practice to get back to things, or figuring out new ways to do them. I also have friends who roleplay as some of the characters on FB, so sometimes I do things that they can use to tell little stories as part of the fun. Basically, I'm just having fun pondering what I've seen from the movies, read from the book, or wonder what likely could have happened that we weren't shown. When I feel ready (and my "to do" pile for this Hobbit art isn't screaming for my attention), I'll look at The Silmarillion and have some fun with that hopefully!

(and I apologize if I ended up babbling or something was wonky... my hubby decided to wander out for breakfast finally, and his pacing around distracted me a little LOL!! Laugh )

(This post was edited by CFGriffith on Aug 22 2015, 1:43pm)

Kim
Valinor

Aug 22 2015, 4:47pm

Post #2 of 13 (3512 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for sharing and welcome to TORn! [In reply to] Can't Post

I especially love the Thorin Oakenshield Weight of the World on your main page, and King Thror and Carc the Raven. Smile

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Aug 22 2015, 5:01pm

Post #3 of 13 (3511 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

Your fanart is excellent. I like several of your Thorins a lot, especially the one in the rain, the one in Bree, and the one with the raven.

The one of a smiling Gloin, looking at his locket, is very sweet, showing a different side of this feisty character. I like your idea to show this moment that is very believable, but not anywhere in the films.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 23 2015, 12:53pm

Post #4 of 13 (3449 views)
Shortcut
Awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

To paraphrase a certain character - my goodness, you have been busy! Laugh

These are excellent character studies - you're getting a lot of emotion into those faces! I love seeing the Kings with their Ravens, but that one of Gloin looking at the locket - there's a lot of Heart right there.

Thank you! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

CFGriffith
The Shire

Aug 23 2015, 3:37pm

Post #5 of 13 (3425 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Kim! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you, Kim! I appreciate you telling me which ones you like. I'm always fascinated seeing which drawings people are drawn to. It's fun to see which one/s people like best and why. :D Weight of the World Thorin was my 2nd inked drawing when I came back from my very long break from art (Gloin with a cupcake was the 1st, rushed/shaky ink job, so I could share it with a friend who would have a good chuckle about it), and although there are others that might be technically better, WotW Thorin is still one of my favorites as well. :)

CFGriffith
The Shire

Aug 23 2015, 3:42pm

Post #6 of 13 (3425 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, arithmancer! [In reply to] Can't Post

I appreciate you telling me which ones you like. The Gloin/locket one was so much fun to draw (it's probably technically my favorite I've done so far, and it always makes me smile too). I was thrilled when I'd shared it on Twitter, Peter Hambleton saw it and asked for a copy. I only wish I'd been able to print out a much better version to send him (I needed to buy a new scanner/printer for art anyway, so I was rushing to get him a copy and not keep him waiting). He even took a photo of himself holding it and posted it on Twitter so I'd know it arrived safely! :D

CFGriffith
The Shire

Aug 23 2015, 3:45pm

Post #7 of 13 (3421 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, dernwyn! [In reply to] Can't Post

I only wish I could speed things up a little faster -- I get a little impatient with myself, and sometimes I get so many ideas I end up "losing interest" before I can finish previous projects. I keep telling myself "quality over quantity" this time though. I went through such an awful burnout before my long break, and I feel like things just got sloppy too. Now if I could just have more space (not to mention, build up supplies like paints that need replacing after all these years). Ha! ;)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 23 2015, 9:39pm

Post #8 of 13 (3411 views)
Shortcut
Peter Hambleton wanted a copy of your Gloin drawing? [In reply to] Can't Post

Whoa - that's the ultimate in compliments! Heart

CFGriffith
The Shire

Sep 14 2015, 5:20pm

Post #9 of 13 (3183 views)
Shortcut
Yes it was so neat! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was tickled beyond words when that happened. It really made my day that he liked the drawing (and it also got my rear in action, to purchase a scanner/printer I'd been needing to get for a very long time so I *could* send him a copy. I'm just glad he didn't want the original -- I can't part with my originals. LOL!).

And I almost had another exciting moment, darn it. :) I'd been keeping quiet since mid-May about the details, but the folks making the BotFA EE documentary were interested in my drawing of King Thror and Carc the Raven... sadly, I did not make the final cut Frown, but wowza! Now that was a mighty big "you're kidding right? OMG!!!!!" compliment/moment I will treasure for a very long time! Heart Maybe if they make any more documentaries I'll have another chance to try again. One can hope, right?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 16 2015, 1:21am

Post #10 of 13 (3106 views)
Shortcut
That is high praise indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

To be even considered for the extras - I imagine there's a ton of good stuff that ends up "on the cutting room floor", they just don't have room or don't know how to fit it in. But they're aware of your skill, and yeah - "wowza"!

Kim
Valinor

Sep 16 2015, 3:58am

Post #11 of 13 (3099 views)
Shortcut
Wow, how cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's fantastic your drawing was considered for the BOFA EE! That's such an excellent piece of art. Smile

CFGriffith
The Shire

Sep 16 2015, 3:10pm

Post #12 of 13 (3079 views)
Shortcut
Lots of edits [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I get the feeling a lot gets cut in the end (and I was warned this might be likely). Safer to have way too much to choose from, than "ah! we need more, find more!" scrambling and chaos. They even have the artists fill out paperwork in advance so that's out of the way. I sometimes feel a little out of place with my black and white, stylized art compared to full-color "photorealistic" art, but knowing how many images they searched through to find drawings that might work for what they needed... it makes me happy to have been noticed. Indeed! :)

CFGriffith
The Shire

Sep 16 2015, 3:11pm

Post #13 of 13 (3077 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, Kim! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love extra stuff -- it's my favorite part of DVDs, so even though I didn't make the cut I am still very excited to see what they did include on it! :D

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.