The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
say DOS AND BO5A are still exactly as they are

makingstarwars
Bree

Aug 21 2015, 12:54am

Post #1 of 11 (1475 views)
Shortcut
say DOS AND BO5A are still exactly as they are Can't Post

But BO5A was released in July 2014 as originally planned would that have been better u think?

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Aug 21 2015, 2:06am

Post #2 of 11 (1400 views)
Shortcut
No. [In reply to] Can't Post

We saw it as part of our Christmas celebrations - as we have for the last three years. Plus, as it's a proper fireside tale, you really need it to be cold and dark outside. Also true of the DVD EE releases, which will have to suffice for Christmas this year, as no new films are coming out.

"Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear."

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Aug 21 2015, 6:33am

Post #3 of 11 (1259 views)
Shortcut
I was glad they moved it to a December release [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll admit that part of that is because all the previous Middle-earth movies were December releases and I can be a creature of habit, but I think having a full year between releases makes each one more of an event and feel more special. Otherwise you have no real downtime in between, especially if you were to try to squeeze an EE DVD release into that seven month break.

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Aug 21 2015, 11:44am

Post #4 of 11 (1132 views)
Shortcut
Besides, in July you're supposed to be at the beach, on picnics or sitting out in the garden in the evenings [In reply to] Can't Post

- at least in most of the English speaking world (except in Scotland, where you just sit and stare out at the rain and the clouds of midges).

"Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear."

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 21 2015, 11:53am

Post #5 of 11 (1124 views)
Shortcut
December is and was the perfect time for this tales imho. [In reply to] Can't Post

Books and movies alike... Cold, snow, warm cup of tea... Somehow that always went together great with Tolkien and PJ's adaptions.

Also the soundtracks while watching the first snow fall... Stuff like that creates magic of its own kind :)

(Of course I know that December is summer for half the world...)

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Aug 21 2015, 11:53am)

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 21 2015, 11:54am

Post #6 of 11 (1124 views)
Shortcut
No - why would it make any difference? [In reply to] Can't Post

It would still be the same film. The Christmas release became something of a tradition. For me it meant I could go to see them with family, and that was good. But I can take out the DVD and watch the films in July or February or August or September - makes no difference at all.

makingstarwars
Bree

Aug 21 2015, 2:53pm

Post #7 of 11 (1015 views)
Shortcut
why does every entry in the same franchise have to be released in the same season [In reply to] Can't Post

The Force Awakens is coming in December
Harry potter went back and forth all the time

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 21 2015, 3:07pm

Post #8 of 11 (1002 views)
Shortcut
It does not have to. [In reply to] Can't Post

But if it is possible and worked in the past - why change it?

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 21 2015, 3:35pm

Post #9 of 11 (970 views)
Shortcut
It doesn't....but [In reply to] Can't Post

At least in my hemisphere after a while, for me, certain films became events tied to a certain season and for me are more enjoyable that way.

As other folks have posted, at this point BOFA seems like a fireside tale, one that's told with the lights down, and a flickering fire, and a glass of something. I'll always associate my first view of DOS with a whole day and night devoted to the marathon when it was bitter cold, shopping all day, dinner, and then an amazing time at the theater w. other fans.

Just like I associate POTC and Marvel films w. summer. I suppose this year it'll be Star Wars this winter *sigh* but without Thorin & co. and Thranduil and Smaug and Bard it's just sort of tepid for me at the moment.

Tho there is that little ball droidCool

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 21 2015, 3:54pm

Post #10 of 11 (958 views)
Shortcut
They don't [In reply to] Can't Post

But if something happens a certain way and you like it, why change it?

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 21 2015, 4:30pm

Post #11 of 11 (916 views)
Shortcut
...turn, turn, turn..../ [In reply to] Can't Post

That hobbit has a pleasant face,
His private life is a disgrace.
I really could not tell to you,
The awful things that hobbits do.
Things that your paper never prints
They only speak of them in hints.
They have such lost, degraded souls,
No wonder they inhabit holes;
When such depravity is found,
It only can live underground.
I really dare not name to you,
The awful things that hobbits do.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.