The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
who won World War II?

DainPig
Gondor

Aug 20 2015, 11:11pm

Post #1 of 21 (882 views)
Shortcut
who won World War II? Can't Post

Who won the greatest war ever? United States? Russia?

I played Call of Duty (do not remeber if was 2 or 1...Crazy) and in that game, at the final level, we (Russians) attack Berlim and then Germany is defeated, Hitler falls.

But, americans say they did it..

How aaaaaaaaaaaaaare you all???

Hey guys, my blog is: dainpigblog.blogspot.com

And my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Hobbit-Rules/676198089181339

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Aug 20 2015, 11:15pm)

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Aug 20 2015, 11:53pm

Post #2 of 21 (828 views)
Shortcut
It was a major collaborative effort. [In reply to] Can't Post

Germany was heavily bombed, mostly by the British & Americans, and there were ground invasions from both the East and West. Russia was primarily responsible for the Eastern front, although the US supplied the Russian army with a lot of weapons and supplies. The Western front was handled by "The Allies," mainly Americans and British, with contingents from the Free French based in Britain and troops from other British commonwealth countries. Near the end the advance on the Western front was halted to allow the Russians to take Berlin, though Germany was almost wholly occupied by that time.

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Aug 21 2015, 12:00am)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 21 2015, 3:13am

Post #3 of 21 (808 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, about that... [In reply to] Can't Post

Probably ticks off the British alot when we Americans say that - but we were late to enter the war, and by that time Germany was occupying most of France, had bombed the crap out of England and taken over alot of Europe and northern Africa. So I guess it's easy for us Americans to think we made all the difference, but as Elizabeth says it was a collaborative effort between the USA, England, and Russia (mostly). I'm sure the Russians would disagree with us saying "we" won, it was the Allied powers that won.

Incidentally, Germany was allied with Japan, who bombed our base at Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941 - that's when America officially joined the war. It took us 4 years to win, and Japan was the last of the Axis powers to surrender. Hope that's not too confusing.

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 21 2015, 6:38am

Post #4 of 21 (782 views)
Shortcut
I don't see why it should. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Probably ticks off the British alot when we Americans say that

No single nation can claim credit; victory very much belonged to all the Allied forces. Moreover, there is no pride to win a war. Everybody loses with war; it isn't a particularly nice thing to have to engage in and it certainly can't be trivialised by arguing about who made the biggest contribution.

Who won it is not all that important, but how to prevent another one is.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Aug 21 2015, 8:01am

Post #5 of 21 (753 views)
Shortcut
I agree completely! Very well said. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 21 2015, 11:25am

Post #6 of 21 (743 views)
Shortcut
The Allies [In reply to] Can't Post

No one country can take all the credit, especially since WWII was fought in two theatres.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 21 2015, 2:41pm

Post #7 of 21 (726 views)
Shortcut
Nor do I... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like a reasonable summary to me - and for the rest, I agree with Daniel. No sensible person wants war and everyone loses. Those unfortunate enough to be caught up in it do the best they can and hope to be left alive to pick up the pieces afterwards.

They also hope their war will be the last. It never is.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 21 2015, 6:21pm

Post #8 of 21 (707 views)
Shortcut
"I was thinking of making a comment on this thread . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

but I shant, no I shant . . ."

HeartHeart Love HeartHeart
-Rosie the Riveter

Boromir looked in surprise at Bilbo, but the laughter died on his lips when he saw that all the others regarded the old hobbit with grave respect. Only Glóin smiled, but his smile came from old memories.
-JRR Tolkien

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 21 2015, 7:02pm

Post #9 of 21 (699 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

Commonwealth tenacity, American industrial capacity, Soviet manpower, and the courageous resistance of the occupied nations.

Plus Hitler sure did all he could to *lose* it!

That hobbit has a pleasant face,
His private life is a disgrace.
I really could not tell to you,
The awful things that hobbits do.
Things that your paper never prints
They only speak of them in hints.
They have such lost, degraded souls,
No wonder they inhabit holes;
When such depravity is found,
It only can live underground.
I really dare not name to you,

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 21 2015, 7:21pm

Post #10 of 21 (689 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

The Japanese bomb Pearl Harbor so the US invades French North Africa.

As for the British getting mad at the Americans, I've read where a lot of Commonwealth countries (Canada, India, Australia, New Zealand, etc.) feel similarly slighted when Great Britain seems to ignore their quite significant contributions to victory.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 21 2015, 8:02pm

Post #11 of 21 (683 views)
Shortcut
I will admit, Bracegirdle... [In reply to] Can't Post

Part of me does want to weep that the question was even asked.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 21 2015, 8:12pm

Post #12 of 21 (677 views)
Shortcut
Remember the good natured slights . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

between the Brits and the Yanks (Americans)?

Brits: They’re overpaid, oversexed, and . . . over here.

Yanks: They’re underpaid, undersexed, and . . . under Eisenhower.
WinkWink

Well . . . I don't REALLY remember. I was only 7 days old when Japan awakened the Sleeping Giant. CoolCool

Dec. 1, 1941 - a date that will live in infamy! Tongue

Boromir looked in surprise at Bilbo, but the laughter died on his lips when he saw that all the others regarded the old hobbit with grave respect. Only Glóin smiled, but his smile came from old memories.
-JRR Tolkien

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 21 2015, 8:42pm

Post #13 of 21 (673 views)
Shortcut
Yes Otaku [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Part of me does want to weep that the question was even asked.

Or that the question even HAD to be asked.

I think we seniors (well, you’re closing in and I’ve been a long-time member) might be surprised and somewhat disgusted at the lack of knowledge, or the lack of proper education of the younger generation(s) on this subject.

So sad. Frown

-JRR Tolkien

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 21 2015, 9:26pm

Post #14 of 21 (663 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

DainPig is a youngster in Brazil - maybe that's not something they study in their schools?

Donry
Tol Eressea

Aug 21 2015, 9:35pm

Post #15 of 21 (651 views)
Shortcut
It really was a... [In reply to] Can't Post

World War. There were many, many countries that helped in the war effort. The Big 5 (Britain, Russia, US, Germany and Japan) are most often talked about, as they were noted mostly as the primary players. Some of the other Allied countries contributed greatly, but not all had the resources the others had. Per capita at the time, some countries even offered more troops than the big 5. An amazingly horrific event, but an amazing example of how to come together as well. All of my relatives that were involved are now deceased, but amongst all the horror stories there were some great stories as well. Friendships, bravery and even romance came out of that period in time. Some great stories amidst the horror.

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

Twitter - @DonryFetor
FB - https://www.facebook.com/donryfetortheouthouse
Instagram - donryfetor
Blog - donryfetorsouthouse.wordpress.com

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 21 2015, 10:02pm

Post #16 of 21 (656 views)
Shortcut
Brazil was a combatant. [In reply to] Can't Post

https://en.wikipedia.org/..._Expeditionary_Force

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 21 2015, 10:59pm

Post #17 of 21 (646 views)
Shortcut
Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, I didn't know that - learn something new everyday!

Patty
Immortal

Aug 22 2015, 8:47am

Post #18 of 21 (612 views)
Shortcut
I didn't know this either. [In reply to] Can't Post

Pray God we never have such an inclusive war like that again. Because with all of these horrible weapons available now, and with people seemingly ruthless enough to use them, we could wipe the human race of the face of the planet.Unimpressed

Permanent address: Into the West

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Aug 22 2015, 2:33pm

Post #19 of 21 (579 views)
Shortcut
The surrender of Germany... [In reply to] Can't Post

...was not quite the end of the war, which was a world war with fighting not limited to Europe. There was significant fighting in Asia, and the Pacific, against Japan, which was the last Axis power to surrender.
In both Europe (and North Africa...) and Asia/the Pacific, as others have noted, many, many countries fought as part of the Allied forces. Including, and this was news to me, Brazil, so thanks for opening this topic. Smile

So yes, we, the USA, won the war! And so did the Soviet Union, Great Britain, China, Australia, Canada, etc. etc. etc.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Aug 22 2015, 2:52pm

Post #20 of 21 (580 views)
Shortcut
Collaborative indeed. [In reply to] Can't Post

For example, Operation Overlord (D-Day) gave the Allies a foothold in Europe's Western Front. On that day, the Canadians landed on Juno Beach and faced the strongest opposition of the day save Omaha Beach. They made their way inland and secured territory that gave all the advancing forces support. Without their accomplishments that day and all the days after, who knows how things would have proceeded.

My SIL's father was in the advanced Allied units pushing toward Berlin. They were told to halt and watched as the Russian forces took the city. When he talks about it, and he rarely does, it is in hushed tones to honor the dead and wounded - military and civilian alike. His abiding feeling is one of horror at what he saw not just from the enemy, but also allies (mostly Russian troops) who took their revenge on the German civilians (many of them, young women).

While the Allies technically "won", no one really won that war. No one ever really wins any war. Ask anyone who lost a family member or had one come back wounded. That's not winning in my book.

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

basti255
The Shire

Aug 23 2015, 8:31pm

Post #21 of 21 (525 views)
Shortcut
They all contributed. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To
Probably ticks off the British alot when we Americans say that

No single nation can claim credit; victory very much belonged to all the Allied forces. Moreover, there is no pride to win a war. Everybody loses with war; it isn't a particularly nice thing to have to engage in and it certainly can't be trivialised by arguing about who made the biggest contribution.

Who won it is not all that important, but how to prevent another one is.

This. There are no winners in wars. Who defeated Germany? Well, Allies. Russians without Britain and USA would lost and vice versa.
Well, at least that would be the case if USA wouldn't develop the atom bomb. Because of it, USA would triumph at the end in one way or another.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.