The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
I'm looking for someone to share an adventure

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 19 2015, 5:42pm

Post #1 of 6 (715 views)
Shortcut
I'm looking for someone to share an adventure Can't Post

Well, my husband has informed me that he WILL NOT GO with me to New Zealand next yearMad - says he can't afford it, blah blah blah. Well that's too bad, 'cause I'm going without him! Making plans to go in March 2016 - prices are much lower than in December, plus it's still autumn down there so it won't be too cold yet.
However, if by any chance another American is thinking of doing the same, maybe we could share an adventure? Preferably female, of course! I'll be landing in Auckland, which is beautiful!

Must-see places are Hobbiton, Wellington, Havelock, Mt. Cook/Lake Pukakki and Queenstown.

I plan to see the Weta Cave in Wellington:

then probably take the Ferry to Picton on the South Island, and go on to Havelock. In Havelock, there is a guided tour of the Peloras river, although they use kayaks instead of barrels. After that I'll drop down to Mt. Cook & see Lake Pukakki, where they filmed the Laketown survivors shots:

Finally I'll end up in Queenstown, where I'll spend at least 2 days. You can tour Paradise there, where Beorn's house was filmed. Also you can get to Earnslaw Burn:

Yes, that gorgeous waterfall the Company walked under after leaving Rivendell. It will be a glorious, once in a lifetime experience, and I won't be deprived of this! So far I've calculated that this will run around $2,400 (rough estimate), including airfare from L.A.X. - mostly by relying on public transport and staying in affordable motels. Plus there will be food & souveniers, etc. So, if anyone out there is interested, PM me for more details. I'm also probably going to put an ad on Craigslist and Lonely Planet.

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 20 2015, 2:02am

Post #2 of 6 (648 views)
Shortcut
Correction on cost [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, a second calculation does put it closer to $3 grand - oops!Blush I still think it will be worth it, and I should have that much scraped together before the end of the year. Obviously this isn't a "cheap" vacation, even if I'm traveling as cheaply as possible. I may end up staying at a Hostel or two (even if I'm a bit older than your average college student) just to save a bit on lodging. All I really need is a bed & clean bathroom.Wink

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Aug 20 2015, 7:38am

Post #3 of 6 (616 views)
Shortcut
Can't go, but I have advice. [In reply to] Can't Post

In-country air fares are quite reasonable, and if your time is limited and you want to pack in as much as possible, flying to Christchurch from Wellington & Queenstown from Christchurch, and finally Christchurch to Auckland for the return is a good deal. There's a great train that goes from Auckland to Wellington through the mountain sites that you want to see (and you can stop for a night as needed). You might want to take it to Rotorua and catch some kind of shuttle to Hobbiton (which is hard to get to from anywhere).

The real problem with the Queenstown area is that the distances are greater than you might think, and there's a lot of driving to see everything. I don't know the status of Paradise; it was closed when I was there, one of my great disappointments. But there are some good LotR tours from Q'town that would help.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 20 2015, 1:23pm

Post #4 of 6 (582 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll look into the train, I was thinking about buying a bus pass for the North Island. I was planning to stop in Rotura, seems like a beautiful place. Wow, that's a bummer about Paradise, that was something I would like to see. When did you go? I seem to remember you were talking about taking a granddaughter a few months back.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Aug 20 2015, 6:58pm

Post #5 of 6 (546 views)
Shortcut
I was there in Jan. 2013. [In reply to] Can't Post

Paradise used to be an open animal park, and is still used for film locations. At the time we were there, it had changed ownership and was not open to the public. They still seem to be in transition, but maybe they'll be squared away by the time you go.

Glenorchy, the nearest town (if you want to call it a town -- it's tiny), is in an incredibly beautiful area about an hour's drive from Queenstown. There's amazing hiking on the Routeburn Track a little beyond Glenorchy (which is what we did), and horseback "LotR tours" that are probably wonderful. Maybe some of the NZ locals know more.

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Aug 20 2015, 7:01pm)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Aug 29 2015, 8:14am

Post #6 of 6 (404 views)
Shortcut
Good luck! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you find someone companionable to go with you on your adventure, but I also hope your trip doesn't hinge on it. If I remember correctly, you were in the Air Force and lived overseas, so I'm sure you are not afraid of traveling alone. But I've known a lot of people who think traveling alone is sad, boring or lonely. I just wanted to encourage you not to worry about setting off by yourself if it comes to it.

I love traveling by myself! You don't have to worry about the likes or dislikes of another. You can do what you like, when you like, however long you like. Laugh Plus it sometimes makes it easier to meet and connect with locals.

Whichever way you go, have an epic adventure!!! Smile

You realize that life goes fast
It's hard to make the good things last
You realize the sun doesn't go down
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning 'round

~Do You Realize?, The Flaming Lips

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.