The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Boromir vs Barristan Selmy

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Aug 17 2015, 8:38pm

Post #1 of 4 (11275 views)
Shortcut
Boromir vs Barristan Selmy Can't Post

The stalwart Captain of the White Tower vs the greatest knight in Westeros...both were fighters of legendary status and both died fighting after taking down a ton of enemies (even if one of them isn't technically dead in book world).

I personally think that Barristan would take this one if fully armoured (even in his old age), even though Boromir would put up an epic fight and might take the old knight with him to the grave. As a young man Selmy would wipe the floor with him though.

Who do you think would win?

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."-Gandalf

Belegorn

Aug 18 2015, 4:14pm

Post #2 of 4 (11207 views)
Shortcut
Closely contested [In reply to] Can't Post

Not a bad match up. Both were excellent warriors. Boromir is likened to King Eärnur. I know in Game of Thrones the humans are not quite like regular people also. Boromir is a Dúnadan and they have an innate upper hand on regular humans. This is noted with Éowyn when she sees the Dúnedain in the North and in the South, and compares them with her own people. To her it was like adults to children. However, even in LotR it is seen that lesser beings have taken out greater beings. I suppose on skill alone the two are fairly close in ability. Boromir died taking out over 20 orcs on his own. Barristan fought and beat the best in tourneys. I believe even the Kingslayer would have been reluctant to fight him. I may give this one to Boromir in a close one. Also I believe Barristan was not far off from his prime levels even though he was old. I forget in which book he was gauging his prowess in the present compared to his prime.

MedwedtoBeorn
Rivendell

Nov 9 2015, 2:13am

Post #3 of 4 (8965 views)
Shortcut
Boromir [In reply to] Can't Post

He is tested and experienced in battle, the best warrior of his kingdom and physically more powerful.

Padster
Bree

Mar 10 2016, 9:00pm

Post #4 of 4 (7818 views)
Shortcut
Tough one! [In reply to] Can't Post

Selmy was the best warrior in the Kingdoms. It's hard to see anyone beating him.

But Boromir was one of the greatest too. He's a kind of Robert Baratheon. Big and strong. I am talking book Baratheon, not the short and fat bugger from the series.

And Boromir was of Dunedain stock. Where as Westeros doesn't really have a concept of 'High Men'.

If the match up had been Aragorn vs Selmy, I would have gone with Aragorn fairly easily.

I think on balance, I'd have to still give it to Boromir, but only just.

Cheers

Padster

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.