Music to...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Aug 17 2015, 3:29pm

Post #1 of 26 (1449 views)
Shortcut
Music to... Can't Post

read, work, fold laundry, write, garden, do bills, clean the bathroom.... I don't know - anything!

I'm looking to widen my music playlist. I love:
  • "classical" (anything from medieval madrigals to Holtz to Mozart to Vaughn Williams and opera too!),
  • "folk" (James Taylor, Christine Lavin, etc),
  • "Rock" (Beatles, Elvis (early), Led Zepplin, Heart, Grateful Dead, Springsteen, Yes, Bob Seeger, etc),
  • "pop" (Train, Five for Fighting, Cranberries, Chicago, Owl City, etc),
  • Jazz (Big Band, swing mostly, not the doodlydo improv that has no melody),
  • singers like Billy Joel, Bing Crosby, Adele, Pink, Elton John, Rob Thomas, Dean Martin)
  • Country/Bluegrass (Waylon Jennings, Doc Watson, Garth Brooks, Johnny Cash, etc)
  • Sound tracks - Barrington Pheloung, that guy that did the LOTR stuff Wink, Rachel Portman, Danny Elfman
I grew up in the 60-70s so that is what I know best and I've got kids who play things around the house sometimes (but they usually have their earbuds in).

I'm looking for specific songs/pieces to try out so I can go digging for more if I like the artist.

Any suggestions?

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 17 2015, 3:43pm

Post #2 of 26 (1400 views)
Shortcut
I love the POTC soundtracks! [In reply to] Can't Post

and I think I am a very visual person because listening to soundtracks plays the movie in my head. Like that LOTR guy too. Laugh

And there is a lot on U2's Rattle and Hum that make active tasks fly (I love it for treadmill time) like the gospel version (with New Voices of Freedom choir) of Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, as well as Angel of Harlem and When Love Comes to Town with BB King.

I have a great Elizabethan album called The Queen's Music that I enjoy in the car, great for driving if I am alone, as well as an Aquitanian chant album by lux refulgent ('Sequentia' is the album name) that I really love. Those let your mind relax and wander, not so much for activity.

I need to get Pheloung's soundtracks.

(This post was edited by Brethil on Aug 17 2015, 3:46pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 17 2015, 4:07pm

Post #3 of 26 (1396 views)
Shortcut
How about protest folk with sea shantys? [In reply to] Can't Post

Geoff Kaufman is currently the troubador at Mystic Seaport, but he's had a long career of folksinging, and association with the Hudson River sloop Clearwater.

He also loves playing music to crowds who'll sing along. Smile

I've got his Tree of Life and Choice Cuts CDs; he's also got one that I think is all sea songs. And he has a lovely voice!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Aragorn's Sexy Scar
Bree

Aug 17 2015, 6:31pm

Post #4 of 26 (1382 views)
Shortcut
The Man From UNCLE soundtrack [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved this film! The cast, ths direction, the 60's setting, the dark humour and the outstanding score.

Here are my three favourite tracks:

https://youtu.be/ByK52JotOQY

This songs plays on a car radio in one scene.I couldn't get it out of my head!

https://youtu.be/...0jn0LDvMnOulGSk6GiM-

https://youtu.be/...0jn0LDvMnOulGSk6GiM-

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Aug 17 2015, 11:16pm

Post #5 of 26 (1369 views)
Shortcut
Ask a music major... [In reply to] Can't Post

Tintin Soundtrack - it's John Williams in jazz-mode - fun stuff.

If you like Holst and Vaughan Williams, try Benjamin Britten (Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra & War Requiem on the approachable end, Billy Budd on the decidedly modern end of things) or Edward Elgar (Enigma Variations is one of my favorites).

If you like big soundtracks, some of the composers whose work precedes that sound might be interesting - Respighi (Pines & Fountains of Rome), Mussorgsky (Pictures at an Exhibition), Copland (Appalachian Spring, Fanfare for the Common Man), Dvorak (New World Symphony), and pretty much everything Richard Strauss wrote (try Till Eulenspiegel, Eine Alpensinfonie, and especially Der Rosenkavalier - he wrote for women's voices like few other composers ever) - just to name a few starters.

Since you mentioned folk, rock and country, I'll throw in Mumford & Sons' Sigh No More - but not their most recent album, which is a decided departure from the 'English folk-rock' sound they had going up until then. The lyrics are brilliant.

Walk to Rivendell: Walk with the Fellowship Challenge - grab a buddy and let the magic live on, one step at a time.

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Meneldor
Valinor

Aug 18 2015, 1:29am

Post #6 of 26 (1351 views)
Shortcut
Since James Horner died recently [In reply to] Can't Post

when he crashed his plane, I've been listening a lot to his soundtrack to The Rocketeer. It's beautiful music that totally captures the feel of flight.
Another all time favorite soundtrack is The Last of the Mohicans. Also Dr Zhivago. And for a lighter change of pace, The Sting.
But if you want the lightest change of pace ever, listen to some PDQ Bach. If you don't LOL, I'll give you your money back.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Aug 18 2015, 1:36am

Post #7 of 26 (1353 views)
Shortcut
POTC soundtrack [In reply to] Can't Post

We just watched the first movie this past weekend with the kids. Have to laugh every time I hear that theme - the picture in my head is Capt Jack Sparrow's entrance into the harbor. Laugh Has me rolling every time!

Thanks for the Elizabethan suggestions. I love that music. My harpsichord mentor used to tell me stories in between pieces. Dear Queen Elizabeth I liked to dance, and dance in a not-so-virginly way! Shocked

_

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Aug 18 2015, 1:42am

Post #8 of 26 (1348 views)
Shortcut
This guy is great! [In reply to] Can't Post

I need to listen to more of his stuff. The videos I found remind me of the crowds for Seamus Kennedy. He's a local Irish folk singer who loves to get the crowd involved - especially if it's an Irish Festival and the crowd has been in the beer tent. Hilarious!

Kind of reminds me of Schooner Fare. We went to a couple of their concerts years ago and really enjoyed them.

Thanks! Smile

_

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Aug 18 2015, 1:48am

Post #9 of 26 (1348 views)
Shortcut
That music reminds me of when I was really little [In reply to] Can't Post

and I visited my Aunt Mary. She always had that music on in the background. That would have been 1967-8 so I'm guessing it was on the radio. Great music to just sit and listen and relax to in the evening!

Thanks for the suggestion and for the memories. Those were good days. Smile

_

Annael
Immortal

Aug 18 2015, 1:51am

Post #10 of 26 (1347 views)
Shortcut
I clean house to Talking Heads' "Burning Down the House" [In reply to] Can't Post

turned up LOUD.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Aug 18 2015, 2:07am

Post #11 of 26 (1344 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it's always best to ask the music major! [In reply to] Can't Post

That was almost my second major. Couldn't fit in enough practice time for a recital and I couldn't make the last composition class fit. Missed it by that much!

Tintin Soundtrack - it's John Williams in jazz-mode - fun stuff.

I'll look into this one. I got kind of sick of all the John Williams stuff sounding the same. If this is a different style it would be great!

If you like Holst and Vaughan Williams, try Benjamin Britten (Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra & War Requiem on the approachable end, Billy Budd on the decidedly modern end of things) or Edward Elgar (Enigma Variations is one of my favorites).

I love Britten and Elgar, especially Billy Bud and Enigma Variations! I heard the Cleveland Orchestra perform Elgar but I can't remember which one. I got so fired up I asked my CIM friends to let me borrow everything they had.

If you like big soundtracks, some of the composers whose work precedes that sound might be interesting - Respighi (Pines & Fountains of Rome), Mussorgsky (Pictures at an Exhibition), Copland (Appalachian Spring, Fanfare for the Common Man), Dvorak (New World Symphony), and pretty much everything Richard Strauss wrote (try Till Eulenspiegel, Eine Alpensinfonie, and especially Der Rosenkavalier - he wrote for women's voices like few other composers ever) - just to name a few starters.

Ooooh, yes - Respighi yes! ... gotta look it up... Antiche danze ed aire per Iluto. And Mussorgsky's Pictures... That piece makes me smile. I don't know why, I just love listening to it when it comes on. Copland too. I just need to smile when I hear them. Our high school orchestra tackled New World Symphony and did a credible job. That's another that I can just close my eyes and feel like I'm in a different place. I will look into the Strauss you mentioned. I love hearing different voices and it is hard to write for women without them sounding shriek-y.

Since you mentioned folk, rock and country, I'll throw in Mumford & Sons' Sigh No More - but not their most recent album, which is a decided departure from the 'English folk-rock' sound they had going up until then. The lyrics are brilliant.

I loved the early Mumford and Sons my daughter gave me but yes, the latest stuff coming up on my Spotify hasn't had the same life to it.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I do love all of the ones I've already heard and now I have a few more to explore! Cool

_

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 18 2015, 2:12am

Post #12 of 26 (1344 views)
Shortcut
As far as neat lyrics ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sting's Ten Summoner's Tales must be some of the most brilliant, clever and enjoyable lyrics I've ever heard. Every track, each one a different composition and telling a very different story.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Aug 18 2015, 2:13am

Post #13 of 26 (1341 views)
Shortcut
I need to look up The Rocketeer [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember liking it while watching the movie.

The Last of the Mohicans has to be one of the most beautiful I've heard. Listening to Dr. Zhivago makes me cry, every time. The movie made me cry and the music brings it all into focus again. And The Sting - I loved the movie and love he music so much I went out and got a bunch of sheet music. Problem with ragtime - my hands barely span an octave. Oooh did they hurt after an hour or so of playing that stuff!

I remember listening to PDQ Bach in middle school and laughing so hard. He's like the Douglas Adams of classical music. Hilarious!

Thanks for those memories. I need to put some PDQ on I think, just for giggles. Laugh

_

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Aug 18 2015, 2:13am

Post #14 of 26 (1342 views)
Shortcut
There's a double meaning in that... [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

_

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 18 2015, 11:20am

Post #15 of 26 (1290 views)
Shortcut
Well, how about.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Under classical, anything sung by Stile Antico - (this is just an example)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iygOErmTPQ

Or, as you mention folk and this is the music I grew up to (I'm about the same vintage as you) - the Corries:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiyuZ7CTsbY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ylj-O06Is_c

And one of my favourite soundtracks, to the BBC series The Virgin Queen

https://www.youtube.com/...y0SyHhli48opfPRZLKRe

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Aug 18 2015, 5:32pm

Post #16 of 26 (1256 views)
Shortcut
Tee-hee - you two are great!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Walk to Rivendell: Walk with the Fellowship Challenge - grab a buddy and let the magic live on, one step at a time.

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 18 2015, 5:37pm

Post #17 of 26 (1257 views)
Shortcut
I salute you, as someone who can play an instrument! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Problem with ragtime - my hands barely span an octave. Oooh did they hurt after an hour or so of playing that stuff!

I clearly remember in elementary school my assigned instruments getting simpler and simpler, until I was down to the lowly triangle...which didn't work out either, and for music class I painted backdrops for the school shows! Laugh That I managed very well.

*bow* <respect>

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Aug 18 2015, 5:59pm

Post #18 of 26 (1254 views)
Shortcut
Have you ever come across [In reply to] Can't Post

WIlliam Warfield's recording of Copland's 'Old American Songs' cycle? Fun stuff, especially 'I Bought Me a Cat'.

Sounds like we should compare notes (!) some time - I missed getting a double degree (combining the B.Mus with a B.A. in Religion) by a Senior Paper and one class... Crazy

One of my great memories was when I was in England on a foreign study program my last semester of college. We went to a concert given by a youth orchestra, conducted by Sir Colin Davis. They performed the Enigma Variations, and it was glorious. Things had been tough for me in college, particularly the last couple years, and there was something so moving and freeing about it - particularly the 'Nimrod' variation.

I went to a Greeley Philharmonic performance of Pine & Fountains last year with my kids & dad. The most amazing part of it was watching all the 'extra' instruments on the stage - bass clarinet, contrabassoon, bass trombone, English horn, a whole forest of French horns, more percussion than you can shake a stick at... it was quite a gathering! and another amazing performance.

What's your instrument? I'm a soprano, don't have the range for anything lower, so I don't get harmonies - just descants. Mad

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Aug 18 2015, 6:23pm

Post #19 of 26 (1249 views)
Shortcut
I play piano now [In reply to] Can't Post

Up to this past June I was the accompanist for the elementary school chorus. I also did middle school for a year or two. Both were a blast but my hands are not what they used to be. I can't practice for anything longer than half an hour without premedicating. Unsure

I played Harpsichord in college. I got a BA in Biochemistry and minors in Religion, Anthropology, Music, Theater and Chemistry. Looking back, I was trying to tell myself something. A BA in a science? Now I realize that my brain loved the puzzles but my heart and brain wanted the art.

I'm an Alto (Tenor if I've got a cold) and sang in the University Circle Chorale in college (Brahms German Requiem, Messiah) but I haven't sung in a group since. We're not part of a church and the professional chorales around here are.. well... professional. They pull from premiere music schools like Peabody, not to mention some pretty hefty credential folks from all over coming to DC for other jobs. That's a level I cannot hope to achieve anymore especially now that my hearing is going. Most of my singing is in the car and with my Girl Scouts. Cool

My favorite concert memory was with the Cleveland Orchestra. I had a friend at CIM who had a work study job marking music (bow marks etc) for the Orchestra. He knew all the back corridors and staircases at Severance Hall. We managed to sneak in the basement level and make our way up to the balcony in time to hear Vaughn Williams Variation on a Theme by Thomas Talis. The sound (Double Orchestra!) combined with the height (and probably running up that many flights of stairs) had me almost light-headed. We could barely see so I just closed my eyes and felt. I was so incredible I still get goosebumps thinking about it.

Love the link you shared! My kids sang that in school! We have an excellent music teacher who brings in a lot of different music styles and examples from all over. I got such a kick out of my then elementary age kids singing that song in the car.

_

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Aug 18 2015, 7:22pm

Post #20 of 26 (1250 views)
Shortcut
I don't have a big list, but [In reply to] Can't Post

The "Graceland" album has been our family's traveling music for thirty years or so.

And for grading papers, I like Steeleye Span's "Wintersmith" album.

We also listen to Roberts and Barrand for most of the winter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

cats16
Half-elven

Aug 19 2015, 6:43am

Post #21 of 26 (1207 views)
Shortcut
A band I always come back to... [In reply to] Can't Post

...is M83, if you've heard of them. You've probably heard their song Midnight City before, but their other songs are quite unique, IMO.

Here's the full version of their latest album via a YouTube playlist: clicky

If you jump around, you'll notice a lot of different sounds for one album. One of my favorites is "My Tears Are Becoming a Sea," among others.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

(This post was edited by cats16 on Aug 19 2015, 6:49am)

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Aug 19 2015, 12:45pm

Post #22 of 26 (1156 views)
Shortcut
I love Graceland! [In reply to] Can't Post

We play that in the car too sometimes. It does make the miles go by faster (Not that I'm speeding or anything )

I've never heard of the others you mention - more for my list. Thank you!

_

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 19 2015, 12:47pm

Post #23 of 26 (1156 views)
Shortcut
Music! [In reply to] Can't Post

Classical: I don't have a lot of classical: Several of Beethoven's symphonies; Holst's The Planets; and Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition/Night on Bald Mountain, conducted by Leonard Bernstein for the New York Philharmonic.

Folk: Mostly Celtic stuff including: Clannad; David Arkenstone; Enya; Sweet Relief (A Benefit for Victoria Williams); and Together Forever: The Pubsongs of Warwickshire, recorded live at the Sterling Renaissance Festival. My wife has more in the form of several Celtic anthologies.

Rock: Aerosmith; Bad Company; Black Sabbath; Blue Oyster Cult; Bon Jovi; Boston; David Bowie; Cheap Trick; Alice Cooper; The Doors; The Eagles; ELO; The Greatful Dead; Hawkwind; Iron Butterfly; Jefferson Airplane/Starship; Led Zeppelin; Meatloaf; Metallica; The Rolling Stones; Rush; Styx, U2; Van Halen; The Who.

Pop/Alternative: Alabama; America; Tori Amos; Blues Traveler; Boa; The Cranberries; Duran Duran; Elton John; Steve Miller Band; Oingo Boingo; The Alan Parsons Project; The Police; R.E.M.; Scorpions; Sting; Texas; They Might be Giants.

Jazz/Blues: Judy Henski; Tim Truman and the Dixie Pistols.

Country/Bluegrass: Not so much (what we have belongs to my wife).

Soundtracks: Lots, largely s.f./fantasy scores from movies and television. Most recent: Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Mix Vol. 1.

Miscellaneous: Kitaro; L'Arc~en~Ciel; Midnight Syndicate; numerous anime soundtracks, mostly from the '70s, '80s and '90s.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 22 2015, 12:27am

Post #24 of 26 (1019 views)
Shortcut
That Jack Sparrow intro is one fine piece of character study, isn't it? // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
We just watched the first movie this past weekend with the kids. Have to laugh every time I hear that theme - the picture in my head is Capt Jack Sparrow's entrance into the harbor. Laugh Has me rolling every time!

Meneldor
Valinor

Aug 23 2015, 2:07am

Post #25 of 26 (1000 views)
Shortcut
Best character introduction ever!!! goes to Jack Sparrow standing in the rigging. [In reply to] Can't Post

Even better than the first glimpse of Darth Vader, looming out of the smoke in the original Star Wars.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.