The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Middle earth collection questions

bilbo1997
Bree

Aug 16 2015, 11:25pm

Post #1 of 17 (1504 views)
Shortcut
Middle earth collection questions Can't Post

1. When will the box be released? ( i hope next year)

2. Are the going to add more stuff in TH & LOTR, and if so what, except BOTFA, because we don't know what is going te be in the friggin EE in the first place

3. Are the going to replace Ian Holm with Martin Freeman in the FOTR proloque, i will be very happy if PJ does that

4. What will be the title for the set?

Glorfindela
Valinor

Aug 16 2015, 11:35pm

Post #2 of 17 (1459 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
3. Are the going to replace Ian Holm with Martin Freeman in the FOTR proloque, i will be very happy if PJ does that

Do you man in the part where he appears with Gandalf? If so, I hope not. Sir Ian Holm was perfect for the part, and in addition knows the character extremely well…

bilbo1997
Bree

Aug 16 2015, 11:39pm

Post #3 of 17 (1450 views)
Shortcut
no [In reply to] Can't Post

the part where bilbo finds the ring and Cate Blanchett says,''something happened then the ring did not intend''

Glorfindela
Valinor

Aug 16 2015, 11:48pm

Post #4 of 17 (1443 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
the part where bilbo finds the ring and Cate Blanchett says,''something happened then the ring did not intend''

I think that would work fine (even though I thought Sir Ian Holm did a really good job there). But then I'm not that fussed about LotR and The Hobbit being kept as more or less separate trilogies, with some slight references å la Tolkien, to LotR in The Hobbit, so the discrepancy doesn't bother me.

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Aug 17 2015, 12:00am

Post #5 of 17 (1426 views)
Shortcut
I like Ian Holm's [In reply to] Can't Post

Young Bilbo, but I would like it if Martin Freeman's Bilbo would be in the beginning. (Just as long as Ian Holm's would be kept on as a special feature.)

Here is a video I found of Freeman's Bilbo added into the LOTR's beginning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUQkozXntlE

bilbo1997
Bree

Aug 17 2015, 12:06am

Post #6 of 17 (1417 views)
Shortcut
I've seen it [In reply to] Can't Post

I also would not mind if they add the necromancer in proloque when Galadriel talks about a shadow in the east, but that is the only thing they may change in my opinion

leonmuse
Rivendell

Aug 17 2015, 3:00am

Post #7 of 17 (1343 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

I would love it if they improved that part of FOTR along with Gollum

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 17 2015, 3:21am

Post #8 of 17 (1328 views)
Shortcut
No he won't [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Peter Jackson specifically said he would NOT do that - out of respect for Ian Holm.

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Aug 17 2015, 3:28am

Post #9 of 17 (1320 views)
Shortcut
Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought he said he'd consider it, but he'd make sure the original version would also be available for people to buy.

aragorn2015
The Shire

Aug 17 2015, 4:18am

Post #10 of 17 (1302 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't mind there being two different versions of how he found the ring. You can write it off as one version being from Bilbo's perspective and the other from Galadriel's.

TheHutt
Gondor

Aug 17 2015, 7:30am

Post #11 of 17 (1246 views)
Shortcut
My $0.02 [In reply to] Can't Post

1) nobody knows.
2) see 1.
3) I certainly hope not! And as far as I know, PJ doesn't want to do it, either.
4) see 1.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

bilbo1997
Bree

Aug 17 2015, 12:06pm

Post #12 of 17 (1126 views)
Shortcut
Here does PJ discuss that [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.mtv.com/...t-lord-of-the-rings/

Timdalf
Rivendell

Aug 17 2015, 1:57pm

Post #13 of 17 (1061 views)
Shortcut
Brilliant! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is now my standard viewing of this moment. Sorry, Ian is superb everywhere else, but I thought the wig and makeup on him here were obvious. This needs to be inserted as a replacement.

adt100
Rohan

Aug 17 2015, 5:56pm

Post #14 of 17 (949 views)
Shortcut
PJ isn't Geoege Lucas... [In reply to] Can't Post

And for that I'm thankful. I'd highly doubt him wanting to go back and 'tinker' with anything purely for the sake of continuity or the fact that something can be done 'better' these days (technology and all).

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Aug 17 2015, 6:23pm

Post #15 of 17 (933 views)
Shortcut
commentary [In reply to] Can't Post

More recently though (on one of the commentaries) I think he said he might do it.

Jeffrodo
Bree

Aug 18 2015, 12:28am

Post #16 of 17 (835 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd like to see this, so it matches up better. Besides, it's not that Ian Holm really needs that five seconds of screen time. I think Martin has defined himself as the young Bilbo due to his excellent performance and it would be a nice, small link between FOTR and The Hobbit. But I would think it would be easy to include Ian's part on the special features for historical reasons. It's totally different than Lucas putting young Anakin in Jedi. That didn't make sense. Anakin was somehow young and restored beside Obi Wan who wasn't? The Bilbo flashback really needs the younger Bilbo to show the passage of time. The ONLY way it doesn't work is when Gandalf says "you haven't aged a day!"

TheHutt
Gondor

Aug 18 2015, 6:49am

Post #17 of 17 (767 views)
Shortcut
In the AUJ commentary... [In reply to] Can't Post

...he said that even if he did it, then only with the option of watching the original version.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.