best Alfrid scene?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

DainPig
Gondor

Aug 16 2015, 11:23pm

Post #1 of 43 (1731 views)
Shortcut
best Alfrid scene? Can't Post

in your opinion what is the funniest scene with Alfrid Lickspittle?

How aaaaaaaaaaaaaare you all???

Hey guys, my blog is: dainpigblog.blogspot.com

And my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Hobbit-Rules/676198089181339

bilbo1997
Bree

Aug 16 2015, 11:29pm

Post #2 of 43 (1672 views)
Shortcut
in Dale [In reply to] Can't Post

When he calls Gandalf a tramp! LMFAO

(This post was edited by bilbo1997 on Aug 16 2015, 11:29pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Aug 16 2015, 11:32pm

Post #3 of 43 (1666 views)
Shortcut
None [In reply to] Can't Post

I found no scene featuring Alfrid even remotely funny. He was a waste of space as far as I was concerned – audiences in cinemas I attended seemed to feel the same.

Additionally, he skewed some of the characters, e.g. Bard, making him appear stupid when, e.g. he told him to act as watchman…Angelic

bilbo1997
Bree

Aug 16 2015, 11:42pm

Post #4 of 43 (1660 views)
Shortcut
i agree [In reply to] Can't Post

The most of the time he was annoying, except the scene i mentioned above. I think scenes like the acorn make the movie far more serious and emotional, Alfrid should have died with the master!

Glorfindela
Valinor

Aug 16 2015, 11:49pm

Post #5 of 43 (1652 views)
Shortcut
Arr – I second that. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The most of the time he was annoying, except the scene i mentioned above. I think scenes like the acorn make the movie far more serious and emotional, Alfrid should have died with the master!

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 16 2015, 11:52pm

Post #6 of 43 (1649 views)
Shortcut
I like the scene where Bard... [In reply to] Can't Post

And Thorin negotiate their claim on the treasure. Unimpressed

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Aug 16 2015, 11:57pm

Post #7 of 43 (1637 views)
Shortcut
Alfrid in a dress! [In reply to] Can't Post

I find it so ridiculous that it is funny.

But as serious parts go with him, I like it when he is speaking to the Master about hope. That was one of the only scenes that made me like him. I like how the EE of DOS brought more of a serious thing with him, other then the TE that made him like the Master's stooge.

lionoferebor
Rohan

Aug 17 2015, 12:07am

Post #8 of 43 (1631 views)
Shortcut
The one he had in AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

balbo biggins
Rohan

Aug 17 2015, 12:30am

Post #9 of 43 (1611 views)
Shortcut
he started... [In reply to] Can't Post

he started off well as a sort of dispicable adviser, bt they overused him, if he was darker and less theatrical wold have added a nice bit of bite to the laketown politics.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Aug 17 2015, 1:28am

Post #10 of 43 (1592 views)
Shortcut
POINTY HAT! [In reply to] Can't Post

Definitely the moment when Gandalf shows up in Dale.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Aug 17 2015, 1:31am

Post #11 of 43 (1590 views)
Shortcut
DoS EE [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, it's kind of strange how I was really pleased with his new scenes (minus the whole testicles thing...) in DoS EE. And then once BotFA came along, I got really tired of the character because they suddenly felt the need to overuse him. It's a shame that most people will probably associate him with BotFA, when I think he's actually quite an enjoyable character in DoS.

Adrianna
Lorien

Aug 17 2015, 2:17am

Post #12 of 43 (1566 views)
Shortcut
l third that, [In reply to] Can't Post

Even though at first his character was not that bad but as it progressed along it got worse. He's really a pathetic character. I have no love or sympathy for him. I would agree that they really didn't need him. It was a waste of character.They could have devoted his time on the screen to another character.

"I did free him. I freed his wretched head from his miserable shoulders."

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Aug 17 2015, 2:17am

Post #13 of 43 (1563 views)
Shortcut
The one in which... [In reply to] Can't Post

...nothing gets by Alfrid. Except, apparently, an army of Elves. That one always makes me chuckle.Laugh

Bishop
Gondor

Aug 17 2015, 2:53am

Post #14 of 43 (1545 views)
Shortcut
I like how it was Alfrid [In reply to] Can't Post

screeching "King Bard! King Bard" instead of the town's people. That was an interesting twist!

brotherbeck
Rivendell

Aug 17 2015, 3:34am

Post #15 of 43 (1523 views)
Shortcut
They were all bad. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to agree with Glorfindela - none of the scenes featuring Alfrid were any good. He was a complete and utter waste of space / time that could have been better spent elsewhere with literally any other character - preferably Bilbo, the dwarves, Gandalf, Beorn, Dain, Thranduil, Bard or Radagast in that order.

squiggle
Rivendell

Aug 17 2015, 4:29am

Post #16 of 43 (1499 views)
Shortcut
Alfrid's Glee [In reply to] Can't Post

It's usually totally/comically mis-placed or deplorable.

Scenes with the Master like this are the most out right funny, but Alfrid being a knob himself in this way has some light relief comedy about it.

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 17 2015, 5:31am

Post #17 of 43 (1482 views)
Shortcut
I love Alfrid [In reply to] Can't Post

IMO Ryan Gage was amazing!!! Not any actor's fault re editing or how a director makes a final cut - so:

DOS EE - "bullocks" LaughLaughLaugh *snigger*

BOFA - it's not funny, but I like the way he purrs over getting to the mountain and "little bit of gold" - but the best is "pointy hat" - I kept waiting for Gandalf to turn him into a toad or something, LOL.Cool

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 17 2015, 7:41am

Post #18 of 43 (1433 views)
Shortcut
Funniest? [In reply to] Can't Post

"I don't think they'd ask you to stand, Sire" from DoS, also 'pointy hat' and 'nothing gets past me'

But my favourite Alfrid moment is in BotFA, when Gandalf tells him to feed Bilbo but also to keep an eye on him. He's different there, I think maybe because it's the only time we see Alfrid playing it straight.

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Aug 17 2015, 7:51am

Post #19 of 43 (1422 views)
Shortcut
Everything with Alfrid is funny. [In reply to] Can't Post

adt100
Rohan

Aug 17 2015, 8:35am

Post #20 of 43 (1384 views)
Shortcut
I honestly like most of his scenes! [In reply to] Can't Post

I know that's not a popular opinion to have on these boards, and for what reason I'm not entirely sure. Maybe it's the same as the dislike for Tauriel, being 'un-Tolkien' and the fact too much time seems to be spent on these characters rather than the Dwarves.

I think my two favourite scene of him in BOFA are 'won't somebody please think of the children' and the start of the scene where he is dressed as a woman cowering in the corner or Dale.

oh, and totally un-politically correct, but 'abandon the cripples' always makes me laugh too!

mo0on-light
The Shire

Aug 17 2015, 9:32am

Post #21 of 43 (1344 views)
Shortcut
for me best alfird scene [In reply to] Can't Post

as i hard there is a death scene for him .. that would all my fav for him i really can't stand this man

CathrineB
Rohan

Aug 17 2015, 9:33am

Post #22 of 43 (1343 views)
Shortcut
Every scene he's not in =) [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, when Bard realizes that Alfrid's been a lousy guard and Dale is now filled up elves. But Alfrid's no longer in that scene so it's cool. So basically every scene he's not in.

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 17 2015, 9:39am

Post #23 of 43 (1338 views)
Shortcut
I am okay with his scenes. [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the scene when he calls Bard "king" and when he tries to send away Gandalf the most.

They overplayed him a bit and clearly found him a better character than he is... But he obviously went down well with the audience.

A death scene would be a great mistake, though. He gets away with the gold to live a miserable life scamming from town to town. There is no need for his death when you have only 20-30 minutes to finally deliver a real movie
Mad

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Aug 17 2015, 12:04pm

Post #24 of 43 (1288 views)
Shortcut
I loved the way he walks [In reply to] Can't Post

That round-shouldered but somehow arrogant walk he did was pretty brilliant and added so much to the character. I thought it was very funny, particularly that brief shot in BOTFA with Alfrid and Bilbo walking away side by side. I always enjoy the eccentric supporting characters in movies, so there was a lot about Alfrid that I appreciated and found funny.

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 17 2015, 1:27pm

Post #25 of 43 (1246 views)
Shortcut
after Bard saves him from the lynching [In reply to] Can't Post

and asks "Have you not had your fill of death?" Alfrid stands up to agree & Bard pushes him back down...too bad it wasn't off a cliff.Tongue But I must admit, Alfrid's funniest line was to Hilda-Bianca: "Not every man is brave enough to wear a corset." Other than that, nothing - he was just annoying.Frown

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.