The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
One thing which I noticed

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Aug 16 2015, 5:50pm

Post #1 of 7 (1074 views)
Shortcut
One thing which I noticed Can't Post

Regarding Radagast. Is that Radagast does in AUJ exactly what he does in the books. He warns Gandalf that the nine have arisen. Allright the time, place and even the reasons are different, but essentially he does do the same thing. Which is good to see. Especially as the Brown Wizard had been cut from the Lotr films.

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 16 2015, 6:09pm

Post #2 of 7 (1026 views)
Shortcut
Yes.... [In reply to] Can't Post

There is a lot more Tolkien in the material added to The Hobbit films - in the form of direct borrowings like this and of allusions and storylines inspired by - than people allow, I think.

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 16 2015, 6:35pm

Post #3 of 7 (996 views)
Shortcut
Quite a stretch... [In reply to] Can't Post

... since Radagast doesn't even know about the Highfells and who is buried there ;) In the end, Gandalf tells Radagast about them.

But yes, one can find a lot of inspired, transferred and referenced things in these movies :)

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Aug 16 2015, 6:35pm)

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Aug 16 2015, 6:42pm

Post #4 of 7 (978 views)
Shortcut
Not only that [In reply to] Can't Post

Radagast is sending the eagles to the battle is a nod to when Radagast is sending Gwaihir to help Gandalf at Orthanc in the book.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 16 2015, 11:38pm

Post #5 of 7 (779 views)
Shortcut
Radagast has no active role in the original Hobbit. [In reply to] Can't Post

If you are comparing Radagast's role here to his one in LotR, you might be on to something (although in the latter, he is being manipulated by Saruman), but in the text of The Hobbit, he is only mentioned as a reference when the company meets Beorn.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Aug 18 2015, 11:45pm

Post #6 of 7 (474 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I noticed that as well [In reply to] Can't Post

In fact, Raddy saves the day, which is something that hasn't been mentioned much. A shame, I suppose that Radagast saving the day takes up so little screen time whilst the scrap at Ravenhill takes up so much.

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Aug 18 2015, 11:47pm

Post #7 of 7 (473 views)
Shortcut
But he does [In reply to] Can't Post

Recognize the runes on the sword as the Witch-King, doesn't he?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.