The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Alfrid's death = R rating?

DainPig
Gondor

Aug 16 2015, 5:41pm

Post #1 of 6 (914 views)
Shortcut
Alfrid's death = R rating? Can't Post

Otaku sempai said once how Alfrid will die in the ExEd: he will be launched from a catapult and then chomped by a troll in the battlefield!

Come on guys. This will be horrible to see! I think it will be one of the reasons for the R rating.

How aaaaaaaaaaaaaare you all???

Hey guys, my blog is: dainpigblog.blogspot.com

And my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Hobbit-Rules/676198089181339

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 16 2015, 6:39pm

Post #2 of 6 (853 views)
Shortcut
I still hope this is a false rumour. [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ and Co have said so many things regarding the content of the TEs and EEs that didn't happen in the end... This time I really hope this will be left out.

Alfrid running off in an uncertain future with money that won't help him very long or bring him very far is quite fitting and was a good sent off for him imho.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

lionoferebor
Rohan

Aug 16 2015, 7:32pm

Post #3 of 6 (801 views)
Shortcut
Eh... [In reply to] Can't Post

Unless there is blood and parts of Alfrid falling out of the trolls mouth, I doubt his death will be R-rated material. To be honest, the description of of him being launched in a troll's mouth sounds a little cartoonish to me.Crazy I really hope PJ forgoes this scene, with only 20 minutes of extra footage and so much to cover...Alfrid's death is not necessary the overall story.

Arthael
Lorien

Aug 16 2015, 11:31pm

Post #4 of 6 (683 views)
Shortcut
Alfred already had a good send off. [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree that his escaping with the gold was a good ending. Greedy and dishonest politicians rarely if ever get the justice brought agains them that they deserve. Most importantly, it showed Bard's compassion and forgiveness, cementing him as a noble ruler for the people of Laketown. Seeing a goofy and gross death for Alfrid would be more pitiful than anything.

"There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go."

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 16 2015, 11:40pm

Post #5 of 6 (680 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

This is assuming that Alfrid dies as described in the fifth Chronicles volume. And I don't think that an actual, constructed catapult is involved. Even if this turns out to be true, I'm not sure that it was shot in such a way that it would be the source of the R-rating.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Aug 16 2015, 11:41pm)

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Aug 17 2015, 1:40am

Post #6 of 6 (652 views)
Shortcut
Goblin scribe [In reply to] Can't Post

Like when PJ said we'd see more of the little goblin scribe in AUJ EE, but we never did. I hope that's the case with Alfrid's death.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.