Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
LotR deleted scenes - Is there anything worth putting back in?

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Aug 16 2015, 5:50am

Post #1 of 19 (2347 views)
Shortcut
LotR deleted scenes - Is there anything worth putting back in? Can't Post

With the (fool's) hope of an "Ultimate Edition" box set of Lord of the Rings in the near or distant future, it got me thinking about what could they put back in to make an extra-extended cut. I'd say there's a very slim chance of them showing the remaining deleted scenes as anything but extras on a bonus disc, but it's fun to speculate. So much of the remaining footage is probably stuff like Arwen at Helm's Deep or Sauron at the Black Gate, but I think there are at least a few things that could be placed back into the movies. Even if it was just used as a marketing gimmick to get people to buy the movies again. I wouldn't mind.Tongue

-Sam's confrontation with the Watchers at Cirith Ungol
-Arwen and young Aragorn flashback
-the "mythic library scene" (as PJ jokingly calls it) with Arwen
-the epilogue stuff
-extra Uruk/Orc camp stuff with Merry and Pippin
-maybe throw in an extra shot or two of Gil-galadWink
-Treebeard and Legolas talking about the passing of the elves

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Aug 16 2015, 8:23am

Post #2 of 19 (2297 views)
Shortcut
It makes me giddy just thinking about it :D [In reply to] Can't Post

The only scenes I'm aware of that I think could be incorporated into the films without contradicting anything would be Arwen in Lothlorien...and maybe Eowyn in the Glittering Caves. I would love to see them added! The other scenes you mentioned wouldn't work in the films as we know them, but I would be happy just seeing them in the extras along with explanations as to why they thought they would work at first and what made them change course.

If we could get all that, I'd gladly plunk down more money for an "Ultimate Edition". LaughSmile

You realize that life goes fast
It's hard to make the good things last
You realize the sun doesn't go down
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning 'round

~Do You Realize?, The Flaming Lips

(This post was edited by zarabia on Aug 16 2015, 8:28am)

aragorn2015
The Shire

Aug 16 2015, 5:07pm

Post #3 of 19 (2254 views)
Shortcut
Deleted Scenes [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd definitely love to see Eowyn defending the Glittering Caves and Sam confronting the watchers at Cirith Ungol both reinserted into the movie. The extra epilogues with Legolas, Gimli, Eowyn and Faramir would be nice to have too.

I could do without more Arwen scenes though. I think we've got enough close ups of her slow motion tears as it is. Tongue

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 16 2015, 6:55pm

Post #4 of 19 (2230 views)
Shortcut
Two scenes I would love as well. // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'd definitely love to see Eowyn defending the Glittering Caves and Sam confronting the watchers at Cirith Ungol both reinserted into the movie.

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Aug 16 2015, 9:22pm

Post #5 of 19 (2217 views)
Shortcut
the epilogue [In reply to] Can't Post

as in the Appendixes we have those two little pages dedicated to the years after the events it would be nice to have those in a special edition. It remains to be seen what they did actually shoot.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Aug 17 2015, 1:25am

Post #6 of 19 (2188 views)
Shortcut
Legolas and Gimli [In reply to] Can't Post

Well we at least know they shot stuff with Legolas and Gimli.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Aug 17 2015, 1:26am

Post #7 of 19 (2188 views)
Shortcut
Eowyn [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a feeling they cut out Eowyn's fight in the Glittering Caves because they wanted to save her big moment for RotK, so I doubt they'd ever put it back in the movie.

aragorn2015
The Shire

Aug 17 2015, 1:53am

Post #8 of 19 (2177 views)
Shortcut
Eowyn [In reply to] Can't Post

I think leaving out the scene of her defending the caves so there was a bigger payoff for her going to battle in ROTK made sense in the theatrical version, even the Extended... but they shouldn't hold back for an Ultimate Edition.

But any Eowyn scene is a plus IMO. Even though she was already great in the theatrical version, she was one of the characters that benefited the most from the additional content in the Extended Edition.

Aside from the Glittering Caves and the epilogue, there should also be a bit more content from the Houses of Healing.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Aug 17 2015, 3:08am

Post #9 of 19 (2164 views)
Shortcut
Houses of Healing [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, now that you mention it, I think someone said they shot Aragorn healing Faramir.

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Aug 17 2015, 10:45pm

Post #10 of 19 (2097 views)
Shortcut
About the Houses of Healing [In reply to] Can't Post

I know Faramir's healing was filmed...(I have a picture of it!Wink)

But was Merry's ever filmed? I remember reading a review on amazon.com about Merry's healing being seen at Comic con.
Do you think it was filmed?

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 19 2015, 3:16pm

Post #11 of 19 (1995 views)
Shortcut
How about [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn being helped to prepare for his coronation. I believe there was something shot and never used. Also Faramir and Eowyn's wedding. I don't know if the wedding was filmed but I recall there was talk about how beautiful Eowyn's wedding dress was and then it never made it into the movie.

Really... I'd watch any extras that turned up Wink.

ghost_matt
Rivendell

Aug 22 2015, 4:18am

Post #12 of 19 (1892 views)
Shortcut
Wormtongue killed Theodred [In reply to] Can't Post

In the commentary PJ said the Saruman scene at the beginning of RotK was even longer. There was a reveal that Wormtongue killed Theodred in his sleep in TTT just as he was recovering. Seeing TTT, I kinda expected that the way Wormtongue said "oh he must have died sometime in the night, what a tragedy for the king to lose his only son and heir". PJ said it was cut because nobody cares about Theodred. So after all that time the movie spends on him and his funeral in TTT, now nobody cares? I would have liked that scene to be included because it gives payoff to all the time that was spent on Theodred in TTT, it's sort of like how Wormtongue killed Lotho in the book, and in the final cut Legolas looks like a total ass for shooting Wormtongue right after Gandalf encouraged him to be free of Saruman. So he kills Saruman, and they shoot him for it? Finding out he wasn't so innocent after all would have fixed that.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Aug 23 2015, 7:57pm

Post #13 of 19 (1825 views)
Shortcut
Healing [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never heard anything about Merry being healed, but it's definitely possible. I'd love to see that being put back in the movie. As long as Aragorn doesn't chant in slow motion while staring directly at the camera.

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Aug 23 2015, 8:28pm

Post #14 of 19 (1815 views)
Shortcut
I know [In reply to] Can't Post

That would be really neat, I love that scene in the book.

and I thought I heard somewhere that there was a scene filmed where Wormtongue spoke to Treebeard while he was imprisoned in Orthanc.

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Aug 24 2015, 3:51am

Post #15 of 19 (1785 views)
Shortcut
I'd rather not have a new edit [In reply to] Can't Post

Doing the EEs at the same time as the still-ongoing trilogy was one thing, but I think filmmakers returning to a long-finished project decades later are inevitably going to bring different artistic sensibilities and priorities with them. All films are products of their time and I would rather not mess with that. (A reasonable exception can be made for films that got screwed over in editing -- Blade Runner being a famous example -- but I've never heard anything to suggest this was he case with LOTR.) It's possible I'm overly cautious because of my disappointment with the Star Wars Special Editions though. Tongue

That said, I would love to see a deleted scene reel including with the bonus features in a future release.

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

moreorless
Gondor

Aug 24 2015, 6:45am

Post #16 of 19 (1754 views)
Shortcut
That could tie into more Sam at Cirith Ungol [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I know Faramir's healing was filmed...(I have a picture of it!Wink)

But was Merry's ever filmed? I remember reading a review on amazon.com about Merry's healing being seen at Comic con.
Do you think it was filmed?

The houses of healing and Cirith Ungol scenes in the existing EE are very close together and maybe adding a bit to both plots at once would be effective?

The EE as long as it was still IMHO had the legacy of Jackson looking to focus on Pelennor as the climax that was built towards with the black gate and Mt Doom keeping that tension.

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 26 2015, 1:34am

Post #17 of 19 (1701 views)
Shortcut
I know you are right. Still would love it. *sigh* ! // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Eowyn I have a feeling they cut out Eowyn's fight in the Glittering Caves because they wanted to save her big moment for RotK, so I doubt they'd ever put it back in the movie.

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 26 2015, 2:08am

Post #18 of 19 (1700 views)
Shortcut
I would like that brief shot of Faramir seeing Frodo as a Gollum-thing [In reply to] Can't Post

because it would explain Faramir's utterly shocked look when Frodo grabs the Ring and huddles in the corner. As it is, it doesn't 100% gel.

moreorless
Gondor

Aug 27 2015, 4:05am

Post #19 of 19 (1669 views)
Shortcut
The best EE extras often werent so well defined... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think a potential issue here is that in terms of scenes that are likely to get talked about by Jackson, recognised from trailers and indeed hoped for by fans is that they are likely to involve significant plot points, often from the book. If you look at the EE's though I think it stands out that a lot of the best extra scenes really aren't so well defined, there often quiet little character moments like say Gandalf and Aragorn at the campfire in TTT. That's less likely to be remembered/mentioned and obviously harder for fans to predict but definitely very effective PLUS I'd imagine its more likely that there's more of that kind of thing still in the can since its often not going to involve anything special in terms of location/design and indeed often just going to be an extension of an existing scene.

(This post was edited by moreorless on Aug 27 2015, 4:07am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.