The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
why elven swords shone?

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Aug 15 2015, 2:39pm

Post #1 of 8 (1078 views)
Shortcut
why elven swords shone? Can't Post

I think elves developed the craft of making their swords shining when orcs or goblin pproached because it somehow played as sunlight in order to make the enemy fall into dispair , dazingness or confusion and a soon the orc was blind for a sec elves would have been able to kill them before the orcs even notice.

I hope Silmarilion movies took this cause I always felt that first age in this crafting and "technologicall" way was superior to the rest of ages

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 15 2015, 7:32pm

Post #2 of 8 (1038 views)
Shortcut
Doubts [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure about that. I don't think that a single Elvish blade would shine brightly enough to affect an Orc as would sunlight, even at ground zero. Now, the collective shining of dozens or hundreds of such weapons might be a different matter.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 16 2015, 1:46pm

Post #3 of 8 (974 views)
Shortcut
There is no indication [In reply to] Can't Post

anywhere, that I am aware of, that the glow of an Elvish sword had any affect on an Orc. The blades would shine whether an Orc SAW it or not.

To me the sword-glow was simply a warning to the bearer (and others nearby) that Orcs were in the vicinity.

But if A purpose of the ‘gleam’ of an Elvish blade was to temporarily blind the Orcs, how about a nice shiny shield – lots more surface area . . . Smile

Boromir looked in surprise at Bilbo, but the laughter died on his lips when he saw that all the others regarded the old hobbit with grave respect. Only Glóin smiled, but his smile came from old memories.
-JRR Tolkien

Elthir
Grey Havens

Aug 17 2015, 10:41am

Post #4 of 8 (940 views)
Shortcut
translations [In reply to] Can't Post

... swords shining when orcs or goblin...

As an aside, while there are orcs "and" goblins in Jackson's film...

... in the books there are only orcs (and "goblin" is just the English translation or orc. There is no difference, sort of like Quendi being translated with "Elves").

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 17 2015, 1:18pm

Post #5 of 8 (928 views)
Shortcut
Goblins and Orcs and Yrch, oh my [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
... in the books there are only orcs (and "goblin" is just the English translation or orc. There is no difference, sort of like Quendi being translated with "Elves").

I don’t think the word ‘orc’ appears in The Hobbit, just ‘goblins’. (Am I right – not 100% sure?)

But, as you say – same, same . . .

Boromir looked in surprise at Bilbo, but the laughter died on his lips when he saw that all the others regarded the old hobbit with grave respect. Only Glóin smiled, but his smile came from old memories.
-JRR Tolkien

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 17 2015, 1:34pm

Post #6 of 8 (923 views)
Shortcut
Orcs: 'The Hobbit' is just stiff with them! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I don’t think the word ‘orc’ appears in The Hobbit, just ‘goblins’. (Am I right – not 100% sure?)

Well, besides Orcrist ('goblin cleaver') there is this, from Gandalf, at the Eaves of Mirkwood:

"Before you could get round Mirkwood in the North you would be right among the slopes of the Grey Mountains, and they are simply stiff with goblins, hobgoblins, and orcs of the worst description."

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Aug 17 2015, 1:36pm)

Elthir
Grey Havens

Aug 17 2015, 2:22pm

Post #7 of 8 (915 views)
Shortcut
translating an original text [In reply to] Can't Post

Outside of Orcrist the word orc appears twice in The Hobbit, one instance of which was added for the second edition, published in 1951, the other instance already noted in the thread (the word "goblin" appears at least thirteen times in The Lord of the Rings).

But what I meant was, in both the imagined original texts of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, these original texts being written in Westron, not English, the Hobbit authors used the Westron word orc, translated (if not always) by JRRT as "goblin", somewhat like they used the Westron word kuduk, translated by JRRT as "hobbit".

In that sense there is only orc in the books (or other words in other languages of Frodo's day that have not been translated, like orch and uruk, words which could also be translated with English "goblin" of course).

In other words, and perhaps obviously enough, there is no word "goblin" in the original text that Tolkien claims he is translating for modern readers, just as there would be no word "dog" in an original German text about dogs.

(This post was edited by Elthir on Aug 17 2015, 2:29pm)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 17 2015, 6:16pm

Post #8 of 8 (887 views)
Shortcut
See! "Not 100% sure?" works pretty goodly . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks both of you . . .SmileSmile

-JRR Tolkien

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.