Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
George R.R. Martin says he wants his epic series to have a LOTR ending

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Aug 14 2015, 10:58pm

Post #1 of 6 (755 views)
Shortcut
George R.R. Martin says he wants his epic series to have a LOTR ending Can't Post

George-RR-Martin-thumbGeorge R.R. Martin, writer with a series of #1 bestellers, a hit HBO show and a measure of celebrity few writers ever achieve, has given a pretty substantial signal about the how the tone of his series "A Song of Ice and Fire," will end and he credits J.R.R. Tolkien. Martin has long praised Tolkien and credited him with influencing him and most every other fantasy writer.

But this time Martin got pretty specific.

He spoke in an exclusive interview with The Observer, where he didn't give anything away, but did reveal the kind of tone he hopes to have at the end.

"I’ve said before that the tone of the ending that I’m going for is bittersweet. I mean, it’s no secret that Tolkien has been a huge influence on me, and I love the way he ended Lord of the Rings. It ends with victory, but it’s a bittersweet victory."

Tolkien_2692769bMartin also talked about the golden age of television and mentioned some great shows that not everybody is watching, but he wasn't done with praising Tolkien.

"Frodo is never whole again," he said.

Martin is of course known for writing giant volumes and killing favorite characters. The joke goes that Martin isn't on Twitter because he already killed 140 characters and the fear is that by the end of the final book, Martin may write something of an apocalypse, which is why his Tolkien comparisons are so welcome for fans.

But he also praised a portion of Tolkien's writings that filmmaker Peter Jackson left out of his movies, save for a brief glimpse as part of another scene. Martin loves the Scouring of the Shire chapter.

"And the scouring of the Shire—brilliant piece of work, which I didn’t understand when I was 13 years old: “Why is this here? The story’s over?” But every time I read it I understand the brilliance of that segment more and more. All I can say is that’s the kind of tone I will be aiming for."

Martin is writing the sixth book in his series, "The Winds of Winter."

Read the full story right here.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 16 2015, 3:54pm

Post #2 of 6 (666 views)
Shortcut
Martinized Tolkien? [In reply to] Can't Post

While I'm glad Mr. Martin has enjoyed much success and honours Tolkien's work, but I'm still perplexed at how much he is trying to be identified with JRRT. Martin has already established himself, yes? I'm beginning to be a bit sensitive about how much he seems to be trying to ride the Tolkien wave... but I will say I'm happy that Martin has such great taste. I wish him continued success in his own "write".

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Annael
Immortal

Aug 17 2015, 2:21pm

Post #3 of 6 (630 views)
Shortcut
*tries to imagine Martin writing anything "sweet" * [In reply to] Can't Post

*fails*

I think he's so overdone the "bitter" that he'd have to do a Disney ending to make the series "bittersweet" overall. I suspect what he's got in mind would be along the lines of what Louise Cowan calls "infernal comedy" meaning that the protagonist goes through hell but lives to tell the tale, hence the story is not a tragedy in the end no matter how bad things got at times. Tolkien's story is more of a "purgatorial" comedy because people get tested and have to prove themselves/redeem themselves, but the ending is very happy for most of the characters.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Aug 19 2015, 2:40am

Post #4 of 6 (577 views)
Shortcut
I've always appreciated Martin acknowledging his debt to Tolkien... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but on the other hand, he's also been open about his other influences, most notably late medieval and early modern history. He's singled out the Wars of the Roses in particular, though the extent of that influence on the "finished" work seems to be somewhat less than it was in the earliest drafts. GRRM has also been active in literary sci-fi/fantasy fandom for a long time and he's acknowledged numerous other authors in that field as influences as well.

The comparisons to Tolkien are obvious given the subgenre Martin is currently working in though, which is probably why he comes up more often than many others.

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 21 2015, 12:39am

Post #5 of 6 (490 views)
Shortcut
"... more often than many others..." [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially HERE!!!! :D

Good points!

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Aug 21 2015, 3:51am

Post #6 of 6 (479 views)
Shortcut
Thanks gramma :) [In reply to] Can't Post

It is a little weird just how big Martin has gotten; I can see how the endless comparisons between him and Tolkien can get tedious, though personally they only annoy me when it's people trying to use Martin to put down Tolkien (or more commonly, a simplified stereotype of Tolkien). Crazy

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

(This post was edited by Eldorion on Aug 21 2015, 3:51am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.