Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots & Other Events:
DragonCon 2008: Lord of the Rings Parade Group

Foe
Lorien

Apr 7 2008, 8:23pm

Post #1 of 14 (733 views)
Shortcut
DragonCon 2008: Lord of the Rings Parade Group Can't Post

For those of you coming to DragonCon, I have a couple of question for you:

Are you planning on bringing a LOTR costume and are you planning on joining up for the Parade on Saturday morning?

After marching with the Pirates for the past 2 years, I'm hanging up the Mr. Gibbs costume and going with LOTR again, but this year I'll do something new, not Samwise Gamgee as I've done in the past.

As many of you may or may not know, the current Lord of the Rings parade organizer (Mel/Fiver) has been diagnosed with ALS. You can read all about the current petition to get her cast as a furry foot in the Hobbit here. One of the many other little things I'd like to see happen is a big, giant, Lord of the Rings parade group for this year. This has been her passion for many years and I think it would be really great to load up on the Elves, Dwarves, Hobbits, Men of the West, etc. for this year's parade.

So, I was just curious (besides getting into full on DCon Mode!) what everyone was planning on!

Email Foe!

Foe's LiveJournal!

Foe's Myspace!

YIM, AIM, MSN= foehelm

(This post was edited by Foe on Apr 7 2008, 8:49pm)

WhiteLadyEowyn
Rivendell

Apr 8 2008, 3:09am

Post #2 of 14 (433 views)
Shortcut
You know I'll be there. [In reply to] Can't Post

Dernhelm will stand tall for Mel :)

deej
Tol Eressea

Apr 9 2008, 2:58pm

Post #3 of 14 (435 views)
Shortcut
I think i'll give it a shot [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not very Hobbity or Elf-like, so I think i'll give the EntWife costume a try and see how it works out.

namadriel
Lorien

Apr 9 2008, 4:31pm

Post #4 of 14 (455 views)
Shortcut
Entwife! [In reply to] Can't Post

That would be an awesome costume!!!

labingi_maura
Rivendell

Apr 10 2008, 3:32pm

Post #5 of 14 (817 views)
Shortcut
Not sure yet, but there is always hope [In reply to] Can't Post

I kind of doubt I can make DragonCon this year, although I'd love to attend; there's nothing quite like that wonderful Parade, and marching with a whole platoon of other costumed LOTR fans! "Fiver" is and has been so gracious and friendly to this visiting hobbit from the "left coast", she even let me have some golden rings to throw to the crowd when I got to march in the parade with the Arms of Middle Earth group. "Denethor" actor John Noble was riding in a car leading the LOTR contingent, and he would turn around, "glare" at us hobbits (we were immediately behind his car) and he'd command us to "Sing!"
We loved it!
Even if I can't go this year, I hope lots of you can and will make a nice, substantial pod representing Middle Earth in the parade!
-ML

"I am in fact a hobbit in all but size." - J.R.R.Tolkien

SandWitch King
Rohan

Apr 18 2008, 8:12pm

Post #6 of 14 (415 views)
Shortcut
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... [In reply to] Can't Post

You may have given me actual motive to costume for the first (last) time. I will think on it.

Board names nobody has used yet: TheWightBrother(s), Barrow Wong, Pryftan, Elvish Pressley . . . email or message me further suggestions!

ringers rock!
Rivendell

Apr 25 2008, 3:23am

Post #7 of 14 (319 views)
Shortcut
Me too. [In reply to] Can't Post

which leads me to my next question: how would you feel if I sported a non, or far-stretched Tolkien costume? Could I still march with you guys? Are we talking numbers? or dedication?

Ouch. Fell off the planet. What's a girl gotta do to get some magic rope around here?

Foe
Lorien

Apr 25 2008, 4:27am

Post #8 of 14 (370 views)
Shortcut
Of course you can march! [In reply to] Can't Post

What you got in mind?

Email Foe!

Foe's LiveJournal!

Foe's Myspace!

YIM, AIM, MSN= foehelm

ringers rock!
Rivendell

Apr 26 2008, 2:31am

Post #9 of 14 (310 views)
Shortcut
Challenge anyone? [In reply to] Can't Post

Astro Boy on Sat. night. Can't go wrong with the original cyborg. He can be easily done with a nude suit and those shoe skate things. The big red jet boots are my favorite part.

i haven't thought of the far-stretched LOTR yet. What concept or character do you suppose cannot be done? Cool

Ouch. Fell off the planet. What's a girl gotta do to get some magic rope around here?

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Apr 26 2008, 2:32pm

Post #10 of 14 (339 views)
Shortcut
Well, anyone wearing the one ring ain't easy... [In reply to] Can't Post

Unless, of course, you're Tom Bombadil... Wink

Or, one could not go to DCon but TELL everyone you were there, wearing your brilliant 'Frodo wearing the one ring' costume! Laugh

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

'You never know what will happen next, when once you get mixed up with TORnsibs and their friends.'

deej
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2008, 4:29pm

Post #11 of 14 (320 views)
Shortcut
The EntWife costumes you and shuya did for ORC... [In reply to] Can't Post

...were pretty clever, and I plan on stealing the idea for my own costume this year. Wink

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2008, 9:38pm

Post #12 of 14 (353 views)
Shortcut
Those costumes were great! [In reply to] Can't Post

I got one of the flowers from shuya's costume and I still have it.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

ringers rock!
Rivendell

May 8 2008, 3:24am

Post #13 of 14 (268 views)
Shortcut
HA! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's great, and a challenge indeed. But I've gotten a lead. I'll give you a clue - it involves a tutu....

ringers rock!
Rivendell

May 8 2008, 3:28am

Post #14 of 14 (501 views)
Shortcut
a bit bias? [In reply to] Can't Post

are we, entmaiden?? it's true, you were clearly the inspiration for those, but we were happy to carry the torch. Now, can deej shine the light of our fore(st) mothers Tongue

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.