The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
The letters of JRR Tolkien.

Evernight
Rivendell

Aug 14 2015, 2:21pm

Post #1 of 11 (3512 views)
Shortcut
The letters of JRR Tolkien. Can't Post

I have a paperback from 1995. Has there been any new editions with letters found in the last 20 years, or not included before?
If not, do you know if there are plans for a new edition any time soon?
Thanks!

In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...

(This post was edited by Evernight on Aug 14 2015, 2:22pm)

Elthir
Grey Havens

Aug 14 2015, 8:37pm

Post #2 of 11 (3450 views)
Shortcut
new letters [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmm, I don't think there have been any new letters printed in the book (The Letters of JRR Tolkien) after the original edition was published. Some new letters have been found, at auction or whatever, but as far as being added to the book, I don't think so.

As for a new edition with new letters, I don't know if there are any plans for that.

I'd buy it though Smile

As for new letters in general, I þink the letter "thorn" should make a comeback Wink

(This post was edited by Elthir on Aug 14 2015, 8:51pm)

Ilmatar
Rohan

Aug 14 2015, 8:50pm

Post #3 of 11 (3424 views)
Shortcut
Seconded! // [In reply to] Can't Post

As for new letters in general, I þink the letter "thorn" should make a comeback Wink

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Aug 14 2015, 8:54pm

Post #4 of 11 (3425 views)
Shortcut
No new letters, but a highly useful index [In reply to] Can't Post

The second edition (which I believe came out in 2000) doesn't contain any new letters, but it contains a new index by Wayne Hammond and Christina Scull which vastly improves the book's usability in my opinion.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

MirielCelebel
Rivendell

Aug 14 2015, 9:03pm

Post #5 of 11 (3420 views)
Shortcut
I also have the 2000 edition [In reply to] Can't Post

Nothing new (can you imagine the frenzy that kind of discovery would create???) but an invaluable text. I swear I have little post-it stickys hanging out of my text all over. Penciled and highlighted. I use it constantly.

"The Road goes ever on..."

Writing Bliss

Elthir
Grey Havens

Aug 14 2015, 9:09pm

Post #6 of 11 (3415 views)
Shortcut
I agree there [In reply to] Can't Post

My first first edition hardback looks nice, but now I never use it given the new index.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 15 2015, 11:17am

Post #7 of 11 (3379 views)
Shortcut
I have neither of the editions myself... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but it's a question I've often wondered myself, including whether they would ever release a "deluxe" edition with scans of the original letters alongside the text (like they did for Mr.Bliss).

I did find this though; and maybe someone who has the editions can confirm (or refute) the article.

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

Evernight
Rivendell

Aug 15 2015, 3:37pm

Post #8 of 11 (3359 views)
Shortcut
Index. [In reply to] Can't Post

Checking out the book I have, it does include the expanded index by Wayne Hammond and Christina Scull.
This is the one I have, from 1995:
http://www.tolkienbooks.net/....php?reference=65200
Thanks for your help! Smile

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Aug 15 2015, 3:55pm

Post #9 of 11 (3355 views)
Shortcut
You Brits are always ahead of us colonials! [In reply to] Can't Post

I did suspect that you had the second edition (despite the date disparity) when you mentioned that it was a paperback. I don't believe the first edition was released as a paperback, although I could be wrong about that as well.
Cheers!

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Evernight
Rivendell

Aug 15 2015, 9:32pm

Post #10 of 11 (3318 views)
Shortcut
Argentinian actually, from Buenos Aires! [In reply to] Can't Post

Most of Tolkien's books we get down here are british paperback editions. I was lucky to get this one a couple of years ago, the last one in stock in my favourite local English-language bookstore!
Still waiting for Tolkien's Beowulf translation to arrive.

(This post was edited by Evernight on Aug 15 2015, 9:34pm)

CamdenMcAndrews
Rivendell

Sep 17 2015, 6:04pm

Post #11 of 11 (2716 views)
Shortcut
Can you order from Amazon? [In reply to] Can't Post

For what it's worth: Amazon has the paperback edition of The Letters of J. R. R. Tolkien, published by Mariner Books in June 2000. I don't know if they deliver to Argentina; but even if they don't, they list a lot of used book dealers' offerings and one of those folks might be willing to send it on down.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.