The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Arranged Marriages
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Aug 28 2015, 4:32am

Post #26 of 27 (3499 views)
Shortcut
As someone who likes the characters of Eomer and Imrahil... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I would certainly want to believe that their family lives were happy and that Eomer and Lothiriel didn't end up in a loveless marriage that neither wanted but they did for political reasons. I don't think we can assume that the political aspect played no role in it whatsoever, though, or completely rule out it being arranged. Though of course, arranged doesn't have to mean loveless.

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

Belegorn

Aug 28 2015, 8:25pm

Post #27 of 27 (3479 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps merely the mid-20s [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn was said to come to manhood early at 20 when Elrond gave him his heirlooms [The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen]. Although, it was a habit among the Dúnedain to marry late. Denethor did not get married until he was 46, "the high men of the south married late, and their children were few" [Gondor and the Heirs of Anárion] although this was common even in Númenor. In Middle-earth this, however, was a sign of decline. Arvedui married when he was 76 and his wife was 44. It's kind of interesting that Denethor and Arvedui married women much younger than themselves when apparently Dúnedain women outlived their male counterparts [The Line of Elros: Kings of Númenor]. Even the Dúnadan woman Morwen married Thengel when she was in her early twenties. I'm not quite sure what Tolkien meant by "the age at which the women of the Dúnedain were accustomed to marry" but the examples we have in the late 3rd Age are in their early twenties, and also they all seem to marry much older men, save Aragorn with Arwen who was much older than him. Boromir was already in his 40s and he still had not taken a wife.

(This post was edited by Belegorn on Aug 28 2015, 8:29pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.