The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Let's talk about Fili's ear

lionoferebor
Rohan

Aug 13 2015, 9:27pm

Post #1 of 14 (1091 views)
Shortcut
Let's talk about Fili's ear Can't Post

I was watching BOFA (TE) sometime ago and noticed that something is horribly wrong with Fili's left ear during his death scene. At first I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me, so I replayed the scene again, not once but twice - the second time in slow motion - and sure enough his ear is mutilated.

Here's a link to the image. WARNING SOME MAY FIND THIS IMAGE DIFFICULT TO VIEW. http://lionoferebor.tumblr.com/image/126575729482

I was able to get a snapshot of the image and posted it on my Instagram accounting asking my followers what they thought. One suggested it was probably a bad prosthetic. It seems like a reasonable explanation, however I have a difficult time believing the filmmakers, especially the make-up artist, (a) would not have noticed and (b) that anyone would allow filming to continue without replacing it. (These films have there share of problems but prosthetics/make-up is not one.)

Unless it has to do with - what I speculate - is missing part of Fili's death scene and PJ wanted his ear this way. If this is the case, in terms of story what in the name of Mahal did Azog do to his ear?

What are your thoughts?

(This post was edited by lionoferebor on Aug 13 2015, 9:33pm)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 13 2015, 9:40pm

Post #2 of 14 (1018 views)
Shortcut
Not a bad prosthetic [In reply to] Can't Post

although honestly I'm having trouble seeing anything wrong here. I found this picture for comparison:

All I can see is that it's bloodied, which goes along with my theory that Fili DID put up a fight and was smacked in the head by something, likely Azog's mace. You're right, the makeup/prosthetic techs wouldn't have done that unless it was intentional. MAN, he looks like he's in pain in your picturePirate

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

DainPig
Gondor

Aug 13 2015, 10:01pm

Post #3 of 14 (988 views)
Shortcut
this is disgusting [In reply to] Can't Post

UnimpressedCrazy

How aaaaaaaaaaaaaare you all???

Hey guys, my blog is: dainpigblog.blogspot.com

And my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Hobbit-Rules/676198089181339

lionoferebor
Rohan

Aug 13 2015, 10:05pm

Post #4 of 14 (980 views)
Shortcut
I know... [In reply to] Can't Post

our poor sweet, little ray of sunshine. UGH! It hurts just to look at the image. Frown

I'm not sure how to describe it, but to me his ear looks deformed - it's not as defined as the picture you show. Also it looks like it's coated in some kind if thick gooey substance...like mucus.

lionoferebor
Rohan

Aug 13 2015, 10:06pm

Post #5 of 14 (974 views)
Shortcut
Sorry, but I did warn you... [In reply to] Can't Post

Never_Underestimate_A_Dwarf
Rivendell

Aug 13 2015, 10:14pm

Post #6 of 14 (962 views)
Shortcut
I hated having to look [In reply to] Can't Post

I had some clear shots of this scene to reference. I never noticed (because I don't enjoy looking at it) but it looks like blood/hair matted to his ear.

I have noticed a few prosthetic issues (in the background only - one that comes to mind is where it looks like Dean's dwarf hand is coming off in DOS) but that's probably not the case here.

They wanted him to look beat up, and he does. Too bad we'll most likely never see what happened. I want to see him fight, but I also don't want to see him get hurt. Unsure

Justice for Fili

lionoferebor
Rohan

Aug 13 2015, 10:20pm

Post #7 of 14 (950 views)
Shortcut
I noticed... [In reply to] Can't Post

he's forever messing with is hands in DOS. Especially when they are all waiting for their turn to meet Beorn.

I completely understand. I want to see him fight, but I don't want to see him get hurt...especially like that.

CathrineB
Rohan

Aug 13 2015, 10:39pm

Post #8 of 14 (929 views)
Shortcut
Eh [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know. If there were a better shot maybe, but based on that one it's hard to tell. Could be the angle, could be the blood put on his face and hair, could be bad prostetics/coming off. Kinda looks melted, but... yeh. Hard to confirm it.

I also noticed on the ramparts when Bilbo says "You can't do this!" after Bard rides off back to Dale I think. There were a wider shot where you can see Fili in between Thorin and Dwalin. In a close up made by a fan I think you could tell his nose was fake because around the bend at the nostrils on the side it looks to be coming off.

(This post was edited by CathrineB on Aug 13 2015, 10:41pm)

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 13 2015, 11:05pm

Post #9 of 14 (896 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

RA did say that *cough* if too much alcohol had been imbibed the night before, it tended to encourage stuff to slide by mid-day - plus the heat and so on...I noticed in DOS where Ken Stott is talking to Bilbo in the tunnel at Erebor, as one point the side of his nose looks like it is peeling or bubbling up a bit, in a few shots - I mean it's hardly noticeable but it's there - kind of crusty for a few seconds.

I just can't figure out since they were CGI-ing stuff anyway, why certain things are missed in the editing process - it's no big deal bust still - if you are sitting a few feet from a screen editing, how do you miss a messed-up prosthetic?

Re the OP post - I can't tell, here. Unsure

Hó , Það sé ég föður minn
Hó , Það sé ég móður mína, og Hó, Það sé ég bræður mínir og systur mínar
Hó , Það sé ég mitt fólk aftur í byrjun
Hó, gera Þeir kalla til mín, og bjóða mér að taka minn stað meðal þeirra í sölum Valhallar
Hvar hugrakkir mun lifa að eilífu

CathrineB
Rohan

Aug 13 2015, 11:07pm

Post #10 of 14 (888 views)
Shortcut
yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

It really could be melting though. I have been on sets and some of those lamps can get incredibly hot to a point its unbearable to stay close to.

Never_Underestimate_A_Dwarf
Rivendell

Aug 13 2015, 11:14pm

Post #11 of 14 (887 views)
Shortcut
Speaking of noses... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've noticed that Fili's nose seems to look different at times in BOTFA, specifically Ravenhill. I attributed it to the lighting/color (I think it looks terrible, personally - too much fake fog) but in the scene where Thorin tells Fili to scout, his nose looks...off. And it might just be the lighting and angle, because I can't see them botching the prosthetics up. Unless they said "oh, it's just Fili. No one will notice."

Justice for Fili

Ilmatar
Rohan

Aug 14 2015, 10:20am

Post #12 of 14 (698 views)
Shortcut
There's nothing there anymore [In reply to] Can't Post

The link to the image: "The URL you requested could not be found."

lionoferebor
Rohan

Aug 14 2015, 11:21am

Post #13 of 14 (672 views)
Shortcut
Try this link... [In reply to] Can't Post

https://instagram.com/p/0t8P6OCY6c/

Ilmatar
Rohan

Aug 18 2015, 12:17am

Post #14 of 14 (369 views)
Shortcut
A late thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

.,..For the link. His ear does look a little off, but the perspective may effect it too as his head is in an angle and chin lifted up - and since dwarf ears seem bigger in proportion to the head than human ears, it can extend further "down" when seen from this angle. I can imagine ears falling victim to a sword or something, in a battle like this, like it was partly sliced off...

But what a painful picture. Frown Makes you just want to grab him, take him back behind Erebor's walls and offer him some mead while healers work on him.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.