Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
Quick Dragon Model 1:9 Thorin review (e.g., "My Little Thorins")

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 13 2015, 5:59pm

Post #1 of 4 (1843 views)
Shortcut
Quick Dragon Model 1:9 Thorin review (e.g., "My Little Thorins") Can't Post

So, I had been kind of tracking this 1:9 scale Thorin for a while, because I thought for what is was, it looked pretty good. Especially if you are a maddened Thorin/dwarf/Erebor fan....

http://www.dragon-models.com/d-m-item.asp?pid=AHV38119

Well, time has moved on, and this little piece - new for me, as I no nothing about the model world and painting - never seemed to show up in any U.S. store, nor was there any more Hobbit stuff seemingly put out with Thorin.

So finally, figuring that much ME stuff will be swept aside by some companies in favor of SW and Marvel....I fearfully headed into the depths of E-bay and PAID$$$$$ because this "model" - described as hybrid between a model and a figure - seems to be available in Asia and possibly some UK stores - possibly other places.

The quick: Overall, tho for me the price was high - but I'm happy. For what it is - and mercifully pre-painted tho there is possibly an unpainted version available...this figure is solidly constructed of a "nice" vinyl - heavy for the size, and not brittle feeling. Some very nice little details with some care re screen accuracy - IMO a custom paint job would be lovely on one of these, but for me, for now, it's fine - cleverly designed for rapid assembly. I think of it more as a figure you assemble - there is no articulation at all, so this is a figure, period.

No embossing, but the outer box sleeve is nice. The back of the box, and the inner box, is mostly boring plain black.

What's inside - nice packing! The parts are not attached to anything - they are held in place by these little L-shaped tabs, which neatly slide into L-shaped slots as you assemble the figure - no mess, no fuss - I had the Mountain King put together in minutes - very clever.

The all-important head - IMO pretty accurate (evidently this company makes use of actual scans of the characters) but what is nice there is actual detail in the neck, Thorin's eyes are actually blue, and LOL those accurate perfect teeth. Hair is actually a mix of browns, tho the silver streaks were left off *shrug*. At least I didn't have to paint this OMG....

Up on his feet - a single pin holds him to the base, tho turns out the coat needed to go before the arms - whoops.

At first I thought the coat was a bit cheesy - but at a second look, while it's not fake leather - some kind of knit fabric and fake fur - the tailoring is quite nice, for what it is - nice straight seam lines and fits the figure perfectly. The tabs for the scabbard are so small, the strap and scabbard kept popping off, but, whatever, will fix later. Mercifully the paint job is neat, Thorin's belt is nicely detailed with blue, and even the little boot buckles and rings are sculpted in. The wash on his hands was a bit tan tho *shrug*.

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 13 2015, 6:14pm

Post #2 of 4 (1833 views)
Shortcut
more pics [In reply to] Can't Post

One thing I noticed - seems to me, that the Oakenshield, while beautifully done (and not screen accurate if this model is supposed to be the charge at Azog in AUJ, as by then the shield was held w. straps - but I can see re the scale, there was a bit of fudging...tho I hafta say, this shield seems more WETA - Thorin size than 1:9 size. So I guess I could switch them out.....LaughLaughLaugh)

Well, anyway, for me, for what this is - pretty good, and I wouldn't mind having a second one. Also think for the custom model painter it would be an excellent little project, as it's nice sturdy vinyl - weighty - and IMO it's a real shame this company doesn't seem to have more of a U.S. presence. I don't know if the price is fair or notUnsure - IMO I think it was high, but that's e-bay and for me international buying and I knew what I was doing - the question was whether this would be a HORRIBLE product which IMO I am happy with, and I would buy from this company again, for sureSmile. They seem to care about what they are doing.Smile

Still waiting on the 1:4 scale Thorin of my dreams with the rooted hair and interchangeable outfits, in the meantime this guy gets added to the "My Little Thorin" shelf.CoolCoolCool

Kim
Valinor

Aug 14 2015, 4:41am

Post #3 of 4 (1808 views)
Shortcut
"My Little Thorin" [In reply to] Can't Post

Heh. That's quite a collection you've got going there! Thanks for sharing the pics and the details!

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 14 2015, 10:56pm

Post #4 of 4 (1756 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

Kind of a shame the Smauglette is about the size the Funko POP Thorin could simply punch out (as Thorin does to some goblins in AUJ) but perhaps I could get creative and hang the Smauglette so visually speaking, he sort of looks re perspective large and fearsome - but that's too much like work.Cool

Well, when and if I can afford it, I wouldn't mind having a Dwalin tho. The Middle-Earth badass dwarves.HeartHeartHeart

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.