The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Reading along with the Lord of the Rings: A Short Cut to Mushrooms

jochenkeen
The Shire

Aug 13 2015, 12:48pm

Post #1 of 2 (1180 views)
Shortcut
Reading along with the Lord of the Rings: A Short Cut to Mushrooms Can't Post

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome to the forum and all the thoughtful comments.

I'm continuing my commentary on The Fellowship of the Ring: if you're interested, my latest is a meditation on the theme of procrastination in A Short Cut to Mushrooms

It's also a great excuse to talk about one of my favourite characters in the trilogy: Farmer Maggot. Such an infelicitous name! But who else ever sasses a Ringwraith!

Matthew Sullivan
Oldenhammer in Toronto

noWizardme
Half-elven

Sep 6 2015, 10:31am

Post #2 of 2 (929 views)
Shortcut
talking about delay... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been meaning to reply to your post, but not getting it done. My apologies.

Yes, Frodo is certainly putting it off - on the one hand who can blame him, on the other I can see why Peter Jackson & his script-writing team bundled him out of the door immediately. As a reader, though, you get time to become a little frustrated and apprehensive - and a thing I really like about this chapter is how it dawns on us Readers that Something Is Wrong just a bit quicker than it dawns on Frodo.

And no less an authority than Tom Bombadill thinks that Farmer maggot is a Person of Importance...

~~~~~~

Join us for a read-through of The Two Towers (Book III of Lord of the Rings) in the Reading-Room - 13 September- 29 November 2015.
Schedule etc: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=864064#864064

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.