The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Speculation : RA's Mention of a New Thrain scene

Dcole4
Rohan

Aug 12 2015, 5:57pm

Post #1 of 15 (1468 views)
Shortcut
Speculation : RA's Mention of a New Thrain scene Can't Post

RA most recently said that he's looking forward to the funeral and chariot sequences in the EE, but he also mentioned we'd see another performance from Antony Sher. There's only two places I can imagine this happening...

1) A new prologue featuring the hand off of the key and map to Gandalf. There is a case of "missing prologue." In that I mean that before the switch to three films there must have been a prologue for what would have been There and Back Again. We know it is not the Bree sequence since it was noted as being shot after the switch to a trilogy. PB mentioned a long time ago (during AUJ press time) when asked about Thrain giving the Key/Map, she said "we will go there." I wonder if this scene was the intended prologue but became unnecessary since the Key/Map are irrelevant to the plot of BOTFA. (In the two-film version this prologue would have served nicely since the end of the first act would have been them opening the door). Could this be the scene RA mentions? It would seem clunky to re-include it as a prologue to BOTFA as the transition would be jarring to Smaug's attack and again, the key/map aren't shown or mentioned at all in BOTFA.

2) The only other place is the scene in which Thorin overcomes his Dragon sickness. (Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLUSuwInLnw) I wonder if we'll see Thrain in this sequence as a hallucination. Maybe the voice overs were added as a replacement and this scene will instead include a brief dialogue from Thrain. It would explain many of the jarring cuts in the sequence. Given the major contextual changes in DOS EE, it wouldn't surprise me. And these changes wouldn't add too much runtime given that most of the sequence exists in the film as is.

What are your thoughts? Is there another place you could see the wonderful Antony Sher popping in?

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Aug 12 2015, 5:59pm

Post #2 of 15 (1425 views)
Shortcut
That was probably part of the missing ten minutes [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Aug 12 2015, 6:14pm

Post #3 of 15 (1385 views)
Shortcut
what ten minutes? [In reply to] Can't Post

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

Thrain II
Lorien

Aug 12 2015, 6:34pm

Post #4 of 15 (1337 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

1) was shot, but will never see the light of day since the switch to 3 films.

As for 2) it is possible, maybe in the scene where Gandalf addresses Thorin on the ramparts. In the clip you posted there is a line from Gandalf we didn't hear in any movie yet: "This treasure will be you death". I think it belongs to that speech, and maybe there we will see the flashback/hallucination? Thorin seems like he just came out of one in the moment he let's go of Bilbo.

But since we are getting barely 20 minutes in EE I am not expecting to see Thrain again.

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 12 2015, 6:45pm

Post #5 of 15 (1318 views)
Shortcut
I think that missing ten minutes.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...is about three hours long already!

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Aug 12 2015, 6:56pm

Post #6 of 15 (1290 views)
Shortcut
I can't imagine what the point of the first would be.. [In reply to] Can't Post

We already know that Thrain gave Gandalf the map and key for safekeeping - what seeing this would add, I'm not at all sure.

mirkwoodwanderer
Lorien

Aug 12 2015, 8:49pm

Post #7 of 15 (1126 views)
Shortcut
it will not happen [In reply to] Can't Post

we do not think it will happen
most of the focus will be on Sauroman. He deserved it

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Aug 12 2015, 8:49pm

Post #8 of 15 (1129 views)
Shortcut
We could make a three hour movie [In reply to] Can't Post

Just about the angst over the missing ten minutes! Angelic

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 12 2015, 9:50pm

Post #9 of 15 (1028 views)
Shortcut
Or perhaps a trilogy..... [In reply to] Can't Post

*ducks hastily back into teapot and closely lid*

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Aug 12 2015, 11:19pm

Post #10 of 15 (953 views)
Shortcut
Saruman? [In reply to] Can't Post

You really think most of the extended footage will feature Saruman...? I'd say we'd be lucky to get more than 30 seconds of extra Saruman footage.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Aug 12 2015, 11:21pm

Post #11 of 15 (949 views)
Shortcut
Nah [In reply to] Can't Post

That'd be too long. Gotta keep it around two and a half hours with a nice "thriller pace."Wink

lionoferebor
Rohan

Aug 13 2015, 12:15am

Post #12 of 15 (921 views)
Shortcut
Not only is it redundant... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
We already know that Thrain gave Gandalf the map and key for safekeeping - what seeing this would add, I'm not at all sure.

but at this point in the story the map and key are no longer relevant. The Mountain has been located, the door has been open...the map and key have served their purpose. It's time to move on.

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 13 2015, 2:00am

Post #13 of 15 (874 views)
Shortcut
*sob* [In reply to] Can't Post

As for 2) it is possible, maybe in the scene where Gandalf addresses Thorin on the ramparts. In the clip you posted there is a line from Gandalf we didn't hear in any movie yet: "This treasure will be you death". I think it belongs to that speech, and maybe there we will see the flashback/hallucination? Thorin seems like he just came out of one in the moment he let's go of Bilbo.

Because, I have always thought that when Thorin responds to the "son of Thrain" comment it's a bit of a fudge, since IMO the reason that Thorin would react that strongly is if Gandalf had visited Thorin the night before, and Thorin knew his beloved father was truly gone. Otherwise, why make an issue re "son of Thrain" except reminding Thorin of his father?

For a theater audience, who may or may not have seen the DOS EE, where we really see how much Thorin and Thrain cared for each other? Because it's more Thorin/Thror in the AUJ EE.

So I also think Gandalf had tried to talk to Thorin that night - it's inexplicable that he wouldn't on the eve of a battle - and Thorin doesn't seem surprised to see Gandalf, e.g. there's no "and where the _________ have you been?" or anything. And that Gandalf did tell Thorin "this treasure will be your death...."

Thrain II
Lorien

Aug 13 2015, 10:37am

Post #14 of 15 (735 views)
Shortcut
Agreed... [In reply to] Can't Post

I find it hard to believe that Gandalf wouldn't fulfill Thrain's last request. That's why I think he emphasized "son of Thrain" in his speech, because Thorin would snap out of it if he remembered his father and his tragic fate.

First I thought that Gandalf would tell Thorin about Thrain on the ramparts scene, since it looks like something is cut from Gandalf's speech. But since Richard mentioned an actual scene showing Thrain, I guess it could be flashback or hallucination.

But alas, as I said considering we will get only 20 more minutes I don't have any hope we will see (or hear) Thrain again...

glor
Rohan

Aug 14 2015, 10:35pm

Post #15 of 15 (524 views)
Shortcut
The Appendices ? [In reply to] Can't Post

RA was in Sher's RSC worldwide touring acting company.

I can just see PJ not telling RA that ''Tone' as RA has referred to Mr Sher in interviews, was going to play Thrain and just introducing the two on set in full costume.

I could see this as a rather amusing extra in the Appendices. from what I recall of the interview RA just talks about a scene with both of them meeting....

No mascara can survive BOTFA

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.