Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
what's the buzz? tell me what's happening! incongruent things...

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Aug 12 2015, 7:48am

Post #1 of 13 (1108 views)
Shortcut
what's the buzz? tell me what's happening! incongruent things... Can't Post

First regarding the movies:

Where is Glamdring in DolGuldur???

Why Gandalf asks Thorin who did you tell about this quest and both Thorin and him are surprised of the orc pack hunting them if they are aware(bree prologue)that Thorins head has a price?

Wy PJ is going so secretive about what really happened in the production? Imean. I dont think none of us fans(likers or dislikers) will hate a portion of honest explanations here and there in the documentaries.

In LOTR there were and that was interesting. A lot more deal is with the hobbit that somehow felt cursed since the beginning.

My previous praise of the movie is still on. Despite the flaws due(i think) to peters way of vonstantly changing things even to the last minute(im a bit like that) the movies are very good!

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

adt100
Rohan

Aug 12 2015, 8:23am

Post #2 of 13 (1052 views)
Shortcut
With regard PJ being 'secretive' about production... [In reply to] Can't Post

I would guess there are 2 pretty simple explanations for that.

1. Things got VERY busy on production, probably more so than on all 5 previous films just due to the scale of production (or rather, post production). Not helped by the late decision to turn 2 movies into 3.

2. WB will probably stricter control on such things compared to when it was New Line paying the bills. There's a level of professional courtesy too. It seems (or at least we all assume) studio pressure had more of a part in The Hobbit films than LOTR. Whilst still employed by WB(?) to make these movies and DVD's I'm not sure it's right for PJ to be openly critical and as direct in his explanations as he or we may wish him to be.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Aug 12 2015, 8:30am

Post #3 of 13 (1039 views)
Shortcut
i guess so and i understand [In reply to] Can't Post

But really i have the strong feeling that they just dont finished the movie on time and that this time the bull caught them wildly.

The fact that the split into three decision would afect in such a level to BOFA is beyond my belief. I understand it affected badly to AUJ and DOS but the end was going to be the end after all. I dont know Probably im wrong

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Aug 12 2015, 8:43am

Post #4 of 13 (1023 views)
Shortcut
I would imagine [In reply to] Can't Post

(If pushed to imagine!) that Radagast chances upon the sword and hat as he travelled through DG and popped them in his sled.

I think the two things are distinct. Knowing someone is looking (via some ruffians) and knowing they are hot on your trail in the wilderness (an orc and warg pack) are two different things. In western terms, it's the difference between a wanted poster and an armed posse turning up at your hideout.

Is he being secretive? I'm struggling to think of a film production we know more about!

Glorfindela
Valinor

Aug 12 2015, 10:31am

Post #5 of 13 (939 views)
Shortcut
Why? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Wy PJ is going so secretive about what really happened in the production? Imean. I dont think none of us fans(likers or dislikers) will hate a portion of honest explanations here and there in the documentaries.

Why do you think 'PJ is going so secretive about what really happened in the production'? Perhaps what we see is what there is? When it comes to PJ's relationship with Warner Bros, I'd say that he probably has contractual obligations preventing him from discussing this in public. He is also, after all, a businessman and would not like to jeopardise any chance of further business from film companies by uttering negative (and even other) remarks about his relationship with them.

squiggle
Rivendell

Aug 12 2015, 10:43am

Post #6 of 13 (928 views)
Shortcut
The answer to your question is in your question [In reply to] Can't Post

Because Thorin knew there was an price on his head, he was being extra careful to not be followed. (He also had alot of trouble finding Bilbos house at the start of AUJ) Gandalf also knows that Thorin will have been doing this. The answer therefore, to the quest party being followed, for Gandalf, in the heat of the moment, is that perhaps Thorin has told someone. Also Gandalf is panicked in that moment.

Different layers of inference in story telling, is not sloppy. How intentional or not it is, is not the whole point, it is how well it works. This is a natural fit for symbolic imagery, which is the nature of imaginative story making. That's not to say it is always going to be successful, but on that note, thus far in the two Hobbit EEs, I don't find anything that doesn't add to the overall narrative & it's style of pacing Smile

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Aug 12 2015, 12:47pm

Post #7 of 13 (787 views)
Shortcut
beorn was lying [In reply to] Can't Post

I dont see the whole point of him being the last of its kin to be true. I think he says it in order to protect his folk. Maybe he is not sure if there would be other skun changers still alive. But him being captive while Azog himself is afraid of him and when he barely on its own is able to swip gundabad army ....dint seem realistic to me

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 12 2015, 1:27pm

Post #8 of 13 (740 views)
Shortcut
Beorn was NOT lying [In reply to] Can't Post

Even in Tolkien's canon, the first Beornings were not related to Beorn but were Men of the Anduin Vales who came to follow him after the Battle of Five Armies. In the years after the Battle, Beorn took a wife and sired his son Grimbeorn, who was also a Skin-changer--as were many of his descendants.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Aug 12 2015, 1:29pm

Post #9 of 13 (731 views)
Shortcut
I was refering movieverse [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 12 2015, 1:35pm

Post #10 of 13 (720 views)
Shortcut
So was I [In reply to] Can't Post

I did reference the book, but only for the example. There is no reason in the films to suspect that Beorn is lying about being the last of his kindred. It is possible that he is wrong about it; other Skin-changers could survive elsewhere, unknown to him.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Aug 12 2015, 1:44pm

Post #11 of 13 (700 views)
Shortcut
yes I give you that [In reply to] Can't Post

Otherwise I dont think lying about the location or existence of other skinchangers would have been completely out of character for a guy like him.

However I can think of Beorn movie who seems to be more troubled, confesing Gandalf his knowledge about the others

AshNazg
Gondor

Aug 12 2015, 2:07pm

Post #12 of 13 (668 views)
Shortcut
I think them being secretive about some aspects is simply... [In reply to] Can't Post

They didn't want to spoil the next movie.

I think the EE for BoFA will be a lot more open, because there's nothing left to spoil.

AshNazg
Gondor

Aug 12 2015, 2:09pm

Post #13 of 13 (665 views)
Shortcut
I hope we see Radagast use his cross-eye powers again... [In reply to] Can't Post

To bring Gandalf, and maybe Beorn, back. Possibly in the same scene that they find Glamdring and Gandalf gets a new staff.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.