Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
George Martin on "where Tolkien failed".....

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 11 2015, 10:56pm

Post #1 of 24 (2693 views)
Shortcut
George Martin on "where Tolkien failed"..... Can't Post

http://www.silive.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2015/08/george_rr_martin_heres_where_t.html

I haven't watched this yet, but I tend to agree with a comment on the page:

George needs to stop all these public appearances and finish the *______* books! It took six years for the last book for a total of 17 years for five books.

Finish the books, please, George, write like the wind!CoolCoolCool

Nuradar
Rohan

Aug 12 2015, 2:24pm

Post #2 of 24 (2552 views)
Shortcut
Martin's criticism is pointless, I think. [In reply to] Can't Post

The reason Tolkien didn't put in specifics about how Aragorn ruled and about what happened to the remaining orcs, is because it would have seemed petty and insignificant compared to the events of the entire series of books.

However, everyone has their own opinion, and Martin is free to write his own story as he sees fit.

I would like to point out, however, that I've NEVER heard anyone criticize Tolkien for not expanding on Middle Earth tax policies under Aragorn's rule. And I HAVE heard plenty of grumblings on Martin's slow pace because he decides to write specifically about these things, which slows the plot to a crawl. My own brother stopped reading them after book 3 because he couldn't tolerate the endless, and seemingly meaningless, wanderings of Daenerys Targaryen.

To each his own, but I'm just saying.....artists shouldn't be publicly critical of other artists.

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 12 2015, 3:27pm

Post #3 of 24 (2539 views)
Shortcut
I think Martin's the one who has failed here.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...failed to understand what Tolkien's writing was all about.

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 12 2015, 4:13pm

Post #4 of 24 (2528 views)
Shortcut
I suspect..... [In reply to] Can't Post

I would like to point out, however, that I've NEVER heard anyone criticize Tolkien for not expanding on Middle Earth tax policies under Aragorn's rule.

I imagine that Tolkien, in an academic environment, well understood outside of those students specializing in economics and finance, that discussing tax policies in an epic, world-building literary work would most certainly derail the narrative flow and tone

- I can't imagine Aragorn, as he pronounces justice on Faramir for instance, reminding Faramir that he had to implement sound regional fiscal planning.

Cool

And needless to say, with LOTR and the Hobbit we have completed works with a complete story arc, as well as a volume of other material from Tolkien, vast in its scope. Whereas - well, finish the books, George. I don't care about tax policies, but I do care about whether TyrionHeart has a happy ending....

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 12 2015, 4:59pm

Post #5 of 24 (2538 views)
Shortcut
Actually it shows precisely how much Tolkien succeeded. [In reply to] Can't Post

...while many like you demand maps, others wish for geological indications rather than places; many want Elvish grammars, phonologies, and specimens; some want metrics and prosodies — not only of the brief Elvish specimens, but of the 'translated' verses in less familiar modes, such as those written in the strictest form of Anglo-Saxon alliterative verse (e.g. the fragment at the end of the Battle of the Pelennor, V vi 124). Musicians want tunes, and musical notation; archaeologists want ceramics and metallurgy. Botanists want a more accurate description of the mallorn, of elanor, niphredil, alfirin, mallos, and symbelmynë; and historians want more details about the social and political structure of Gondor; general enquirers want information about the Wainriders, the Harad, Dwarvish origins, the Dead Men, the Beornings, and the missing two wizards (out of five).
-Letter #187

The fact that we all (even Mr. Martin) are hungry to know more about everything to do with Middle-earth aptly demonsrates exactly how wildly successful Tolkien was in creating a vibrant and believable secondary world.

Mathom House Bestsellers:

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in the Pits of Orthanc

Zen and the Art of Cockle Boat Maintenance

Fifty Shades of Gandalf the Grey

Coney Stew for the Soul

Rhosgobel Rabbits - Unsafe At Any Speed

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Aug 12 2015, 5:01pm)

Nuradar
Rohan

Aug 12 2015, 6:38pm

Post #6 of 24 (2487 views)
Shortcut
Exactly // [In reply to] Can't Post

NottaSackville
Valinor

Aug 12 2015, 8:03pm

Post #7 of 24 (2479 views)
Shortcut
Let's not be too hasty to hold up Tolkien as an example of a finisher for Martin [In reply to] Can't Post

While Tolkien DID finish some of his books, his books were far shorter and I'm pretty sure his book per year output was well below Martin's, or at least not much better (and that's not even counting the 20+ years of not-finishing-the-Silmarillion - or however long you want to assign to that book). And then of course there's all the work that Tolkien never did get around to publishing, and the published work he continued revising, and ...

The good professor was many admirable things, but a FINISHER he was not.

That being said, 1) I agree that Tolkien got it right in the political policy detail area, 2) Martin really needs to finish those *#($&*# books.

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Aug 13 2015, 12:47am

Post #8 of 24 (2417 views)
Shortcut
Let me guess: letting Aragorn survive?// [In reply to] Can't Post

Meneldor
Valinor

Aug 13 2015, 1:51am

Post #9 of 24 (2418 views)
Shortcut
I would be thrilled to fail like the professor. [In reply to] Can't Post

Heck, I'd've been thrilled to be failed by the professor!

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Eruwestial37
Rohan

Aug 13 2015, 4:02am

Post #10 of 24 (2392 views)
Shortcut
You said it, Avandel! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

finish the books, George. I don't care about tax policies, but I do care about whether TyrionHeart has a happy ending....

THIS!

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 13 2015, 8:38am

Post #11 of 24 (2356 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely! // [In reply to] Can't Post

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 13 2015, 9:53am

Post #12 of 24 (2350 views)
Shortcut
Apples and oranges [In reply to] Can't Post

Martin's style of writing shouldn't be compared to Tolkien's... or Rowling's... or anyone else who brings a world to life through their works. Martin should stop focusing on others' work and get on with his own.

I think he's just trying to keep himself on the radar since it apparently takes him so long to accomplish his own challenges.

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Amandaliel

Aug 13 2015, 11:30am

Post #13 of 24 (2346 views)
Shortcut
Martin is shouldn't have said "failed" [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not like there is a set standard in how yo should write. He(martin) prefers explaining every single bits and pieces in the book whereas Tolkien didn't. I don't see how that's a failed work.

and like Avandel said Finish the books please XD

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Aug 13 2015, 9:28pm

Post #14 of 24 (2275 views)
Shortcut
Finish the books [In reply to] Can't Post

at least Winds of Winter!
He keeps on expanding the story of Westeros before these events, when millions of fans are waiting for this book...CrazyCrazy

Nomad
Forum Admin

Aug 14 2015, 2:50pm

Post #15 of 24 (2207 views)
Shortcut
After he has sold 150 million books he can discuss what he feels are Tolkien's failures. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 14 2015, 7:24pm

Post #16 of 24 (2179 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

most of us haven't sold any books and we discuss LOTR'S perceived failures frequently.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Nomad
Forum Admin

Aug 14 2015, 7:28pm

Post #17 of 24 (2165 views)
Shortcut
Personally I wouldn't change a word. So count me out of your majority :-P // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 14 2015, 8:22pm

Post #18 of 24 (2164 views)
Shortcut
Mate, [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never considered you to be one of the herd, you unique robotic butterfly you. Cool

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 14 2015, 8:23pm

Post #19 of 24 (2156 views)
Shortcut
Failure is too strong of a word. [In reply to] Can't Post

The tax policies of Gondor and the Reunited Realm was a bit beyond the scope of the story that Tolkien was writing (or interested in writing). Martin, as a professional writer and editor, should know better than most that there is more than one approach to writing and that no one approach is best for all.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

phij2
Rivendell

Aug 15 2015, 8:17am

Post #20 of 24 (2076 views)
Shortcut
Pppffffttt.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Mr Martin should absolutely not be critisizing Tolkien in this way in public. I mean, if he just said he doesn't like the books, well then, we could all agree to disagree with him but leave it there. But to publicly say that Tolkien wrote his book the wrong way is innapropriate. You simply cant just go around telling people that books weren't written correctly or that one emthod is better than the other, thats just blatantly ignoring the core principles of fiction and fantasy writing - creativity and imagination. There is no right way to do it!!

Anyway, rant over. But seriously George, not cool. Don't ruin my opinion of you please!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 15 2015, 11:32am

Post #21 of 24 (2059 views)
Shortcut
It isn't even that he doesn't like Tolkien. [In reply to] Can't Post

George R.R. Martin does like The Lord of the Rings. But Tolkien's style of writing is not Martin's.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Amandaliel

Aug 17 2015, 3:43pm

Post #22 of 24 (1883 views)
Shortcut
Him and many others I guess [In reply to] Can't Post

LaughLaughLaugh
I also no betrayals as well LaughLaughLaugh

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Aug 25 2015, 1:45am

Post #23 of 24 (1565 views)
Shortcut
Extremely poor work by the headline writer [In reply to] Can't Post

If you look at Martin's actual words he barely even offers a criticism of Tolkien. He doesn't actually say that Tolkien "failed" or "went wrong", he just talks about things that are (to actually quote Martin) "interesting to me" and that you don't get in a lot of fantasy. Certainly the things he mentions are lobbed at Tolkien as criticisms on a regular basis, but I think Martin was mainly just highlighting the differences he's tried to work into his writing. But of course, that doesn't attract as many clicks.

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Aug 25 2015, 11:41pm

Post #24 of 24 (1540 views)
Shortcut
Ha! Amen. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.